The spiral slam and a buffalo on one hunt? What is a spiral slam?

Interesting. How can you be so certain you haven’t lost if you can’t recall what the bet was?

I recall that our super-moderator Wayne had some input into the bet . . . As a fellow Canadian, I expect he will confirm that you lost. Or have to vote Liberal in our next election. Assuming we have one.

OK. I give up. Gaslighting has gone on long enough!

The bet was:

“I hope you are correct. But, this one won’t have a theoretical conclusion. I’ll wager a 25 year old Macallan that the RSA’s social and economic collapse will continue unabated and even accelerate over the next decade. If we are both functioning at that time, I’ll joyfully pay the debt if I’m wrong.”

That was you.

I’m afraid the way things are going, neither one of us may be in any shape to remember the bet, let alone enjoy the fruits of whatever victory we may be able to claim! As a result, I’m going to open a bottle of Mouton Rothschild this Christmas, and toast my (eventual) victory.

I won’t drink Scotch. I value my palate too much. Should I open a bottle of Pappy or William Larue Weller and pretend you won and are sharing it with me?

OK. I give up. Gaslighting has gone on long enough!

The bet was:

“I hope you are correct. But, this one won’t have a theoretical conclusion. I’ll wager a 25 year old Macallan that the RSA’s social and economic collapse will continue unabated and even accelerate over the next decade. If we are both functioning at that time, I’ll joyfully pay the debt if I’m wrong.”

That was you.

I’m afraid the way things are going, neither one of us may be in any shape to remember the bet, let alone enjoy the fruits of whatever victory we may be able to claim! As a result, I’m going to open a bottle of Mouton Rothschild this Christmas, and toast my (eventual) victory.

I won’t drink Scotch. I value my palate too much. Should I open a bottle of Pappy or William Larue Weller and pretend you won and are sharing it with me?
I rather thought it had something to do with the velocity of the Southern African social structure as it circled the toilette. As you suggest, the next decade is iffy (for them and old guys). I would join you, but Macallan 25 is not a Mouton Rothschild unless you are purchasing it in bulk. However, we have wonderful pair of Opus One ready for our traditional Christmas dinner of gumbo. I am pretty sure you would enjoy both.

I rather thought it had something to do with the velocity of the Southern African social structure as it circled the toilette. As you suggest, the next decade is iffy (for them and old guys). I would join you, but Macallan 25 is not a Mouton Rothschild unless you are purchasing it in bulk. However, we have wonderful pair of Opus One ready for our traditional Christmas dinner of gumbo. I am pretty sure you would enjoy both.
I was reading my weekly update from The Eurasia Group (consultants that an affiliated company uses) and their CEO had this to say about South Africa this morning:

"In a global environment where the rich/poor gap is growing, efforts like Ramaphosa’s are both riskier but also more essential. Indeed, especially in South Africa—it’s perhaps the country that most encapsulates disparities between rich and poor, privileged class and the forgotten, and advanced infrastructure beside abject poverty. on balance, and even despite omicron (and in some ways, because of it—as it gives more urgency to the policy reform impulse), I’m getting more bullish."

For their sake, (and mine, given the bet) I hope he's right!

BTW, Opus One is, of course, a very fine wine, but it's always struck me as a bit of a step-child to Mouton, though perhaps not to Mondavi . . . it's escalated substantially above its US, though not its French, parent in terms of price. And in Canada, we have to deal with the exchange rate . . . which adds to the pain. And while I will think of you eating that fairly gluey concoction you cal gumbo on Christmas Day, we will be working our way through our traditional standing rib roast. The whole thing. All seven ribs. Pairs wonderfully with old Bordeaux.

Now, after this brief interlude, back to spiral horns!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jenniferlaw003

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg