The spiral slam and a buffalo on one hunt? What is a spiral slam?

Ridgewalker

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa: Limpopo, Northwest; USA: Ak, Mt, Wy, Co, Ne, Ks, Nv, NM, Tx
This thread could really complicate even the so called big 5! So many species, so little time! :cry:

Bhfs300

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Hunted
USA Canada South Africa New Zealand
Just for fun:
I think you may have something here.
Instead of the Big five
Maybe it should be called the Big Ten

Elephant (2)
The African elephant (Loxodonta) is a genus comprising two living elephantspecies, the African bush elephant (L. africana) and the smaller African forest elephant (L. cyclotis)

Buffalo (3)
The African buffalo or Cape buffalo(Syncerus caffer) is a large sub-Saharan African bovine.[2] Syncerus caffer caffer, the Cape buffalo, is the typical subspecies, and the largest one, found in Southern and East Africa. S. c. nanus (the forest buffalo) is the smallest subspecies, common in forest areas of Central and West Africa, while S. c. brachyceros is in West Africa and S. c. aequinoctialis is in the savannas of East Africa.

Lion (2)
Panthera leo
And
Asiatic lions (Panthera leo persica) are a subspecies of African lion, but only one very small population survives in India's Gir Forest.

Leopard
The leopard (Panthera pardus)

Rhino (2)
Black and White

mark-hunter

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
Namibia - Kalahari, Namibia - Khomas highland
Personally, trying to undestand marketing, I would call it:
"South African spiral slam", or "small spiral slam", but not more then that.

Spiffers

Reaction score
If it was up to me, the word slam would be used to represent "all" of something - so a springbok slam would be the four natural colour phases of springbok, but wouldn't require, for example, a Kalahari as well as a common. There are at least two reasons for this limitation - first, I don't think the Kalahari is actually a separate species, or even a subspecies, but just a regional variation and secondly, it looks exactly the same as the common, but a bit bigger. If you want to include only some of whatever in your grouping, then call it something else, like a Macnab.
The last episode of This Is Africa had a Springbok slam. The lady got a white, black, common, and a tan/brown (wasn't sure which one was common).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Julissa159

Latest profile posts

A couple pictures of the sable i chased for miles in Mozambique, Coutada 9!! We finally caught up to him and I had the trophy of a lifetime. Mokore Safaris, Doug Duckworth PH
sable Coutada 9.JPG
sable 2 - Coutada 9.JPG
Safari Dave wrote on egrmpty507's profile.
Did you purchase your hunt at a US SCI fundraiser?
uplander01 wrote on colorado's profile.
Heard you may have load data for the 500 Jeffery,.....any info would be appreciated. Was thinking 535gr, but already had a response that the 570gr would be a better way to go, not sure why.
Rickmt wrote on Leica Sport Optics's profile.
will Leica Amplus 6-2.5x15x50 fit on a pro success Blaser with low mount?
6.8KLR wrote on Von Gruff's profile.
G'Day,
Long time no talk. I had a bad accident and was discharged from the hospital last Thursday after a three month stay. Am home now and all is well. So glad to be back. Missed you all on this board. Hope all is well with you. Killed a nice Mule deer last October and used the stainless Buffalo Skinner that worked to perfection and love the wood.
Regards, Mike in California.