The Rigby is here...

Very Nice!!

Sweet

The aquisition of any rifle is a point of celebration but when it is a rifle like that one then it is even more so.

that is a beautiful gun sir enjoy.
BUT if i may offer some advice dont shoot it too many times developing loads with alot of weight on the lead sled as i did that with a big bore and the exact same swarovski scope and i ruined the scope about 10 days prior to my hunt this year. fortunantely swarovski is an awesome company and they next day air shipped me a replacement. i wrote a post on it in march or april this yr. see that post and you will see why to be careful with a lead sled. that lighted circle dot reticle stands right out on a nice black buff in the thick:)

What a rifle! I'm jealous. Congrats

Beautiful rifle, and what a shooter! Congratulations

Beautiful!

Congrats

Beautiful rifle sir!

A beautiful rifle that shoots well, what's not to like.

Dittos on the missing caliber. What powder were you using?

Thanks for the many complements.

The caliber is .416 Rigby.

I tried 3 different powders the first day out. IMR7828, RL25, and H4831SC. It liked them all pretty well, but the H4831SC seemed to group just a little bit better than the others.

@Buckdog thanks for the advice about the lead sled. I don't plan on firing too many rounds off the sled, since I'm pretty well done with load development for my softs for now. I'll probably use it again when I start working up a load for solids or if I'm just checking the zero.

Beautiful, absolutely stunning rifle. You've truly been blessed to be able to own something like that!

A very nice rifle and can it shoot.(y)

I run a load of 98 grains of H4350 (AR2209) in my CZ550 behind the same bullets and get 2450 fps. Try the 400grain Woodleigh Hydro as well. Mine cycles both very well and the fire to same point of impact out to 100mts. I have not tried further. If they print to the same point then you have your soft and solids sorted.

A very nice rifle and can it shoot.(y)

I run a load of 98 grains of H4350 (AR2209) in my CZ550 behind the same bullets and get 2450 fps. Try the 400grain Woodleigh Hydro as well. Mine cycles both very well and the fire to same point of impact out to 100mts. I have not tried further. If they print to the same point then you have your soft and solids sorted.

I've got a few packages of 400g Hydro's sitting on the reloading table just for that purpose. I think the 410g Weldcores and 400g Hydro's should have me covered for anything I'll be hunting with this rifle. I still have a few rounds loaded with H4350 that I haven't had an opportunity to try yet. How much did you end up decreasing the powder charge for the Hydro's to get same point of impact?

Beautiful rifle, you will not find your bear overdead I promise! You will soon realize what a wonderfully useful cartridge the 416 Rigby is. Congratulations on your rifle, I plan on having one myself when I grow up!lol
Cheers,
Cody

I've got a few packages of 400g Hydro's sitting on the reloading table just for that purpose. I think the 410g Weldcores and 400g Hydro's should have me covered for anything I'll be hunting with this rifle. I still have a few rounds loaded with H4350 that I haven't had an opportunity to try yet. How much did you end up decreasing the powder charge for the Hydro's to get same point of impact?

Same powder charge. The Weldcores chronied at 2450 fps and the Hydros are 2550 fps. I was going to settle on 96 grains of AR2209 (H4350) velocities were about 50 fps slower but the 98 grains just made both bullets had same mean point of impact not different by a few 10th of an inch and lightly smaller group. From about 7/8" to 3/4", 3 shot group. Yeah I know for a close up rifle you don't need sub MOA groups but it is nice:), and if you go after plains game or camels etc with it then the Rigby is still a 400mt rifle.

I took both my Ele and Buff with the Hydros. Found the buff in some thick vines so went to the Hydro in case I had to shoot through a vine ended up in the open. Only fund the Hydro in the Buff as it was a length ways shoot. Front of chest, top of heart, through pelvic bone and stopped a few inches short of the hide of the rump.

You can run Hydros with the same powder charge as they are bore riders i.e. the groves and projectile are bore diameter. Only the ribs engage the rifling, so do not create the pressure that standard solids do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andresonjames29

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.