The Price of Importation?

This is just a thought, but for any given commodity as the supply diminishes (real or perceived) the price will go up. Also maybe it's just a fishing expedition here, throw it out there and see what happens. Ask for $280k and just maybe someone will offer $50k or $75k and accept that.

Clayton you never know. That outfitter mat be going under the premiss of
"Ask and you shall receive".

:P Elmer Fudd:

I think it's like this-

Guy puts old refrigerator at the bottom of his driveway with a sign that says "free". Nobody takes it.
Two days later he takes off the free sign, and puts a sign on it that says $50.00. That night someone stole it...

Lots of people out there that think more is better....

There has been a lot of talk recently in various forums (fora?) about the price of hunting "importable" animals - by which is meant, importable into the US. The trend seems to be that the fewer the countries which can offer importable species, the higher the prices of those species becomes.

Something just came across my email which has got me thinking that this might be getting out of hand.

I received an email from an agent who is offering an elephant hunt in South Africa, for a particular elephant, carrying an estimated 70 lbs of ivory, which the outfitter claims is importable into the US. The price of the hunt - which includes a baby elephant - you get to shoot a 10 pounder as well - is - wait for it:

1 trophy bull PLUS 1 smaller bull
It is for 10 days
1X1 Guiding
All meals and lodging included
ONE ONLY!!- $280k USD

Just for fun, I looked up how much Buzz Charlton would charge for a bull elephant hunt in Zimbabwe, which is not importable. 14 days plus the trophy fee comes to $32,500. Add a tuskless (instead of the baby) and the price is $37,500. There is no guarantee of a particular weight in the Zim hunt, but there is always a chance of that weight or better in Zimbabwe, depending on the concession (I got a 55 pounder in Matetsi, and might have done better, but I'm not know for patience).

I'm sure part of the price of the RSA hunt is a perceived "safety" premium (although I question whether South Africa is really safer than Zim), but the cost of this hunt is 7.5 times the Zim hunt. Imagine what you could hunt if you were given a "free" $212,500?

How much is an "importable" animal really worth?
It's worth as much as your pocketbook will sustain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cowboy76

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross