The Perfect Shot by Kevin Robertson

btheis13

AH senior member
Reaction score
I've been told that before any African safari that I have to purchase The Perfect Shot. After an Amazon search I see 4 options:
1. The Perfect Shot mini-edition
2. The Perfect Shot hardcover
3. The Perfect Shot 2 mini
4. The Perfect Shot 2 hardcover

Which do you recommend and why?

I have the hardcover 1st and 2nd editions . I regularly review this book. While the anatomy of mammals is largely the same the book helps me think about my shots when animals are at unusual angles . Also anatomical images of animals like crocs also good for selecting shots .

I have The Perfect Shot II hardcover (bought used from another AH member) and The Perfect Shot II mini edition from Amazon. We also picked up African Hunter Shot Placement Pocket Field Guide, but I believe it's out of print now.

All were purchased before our first safari and were incredibly helpful. Not only for where the organs are or where to shoot, but just being able to identify the different animal species.

We took the mini & pocket guide with us on the trip and the big boy stayed home. We still use them from time to time as a reference.

Are they essential, only if you want to be well informed. Otherwise you will be relying on your PH to tell you where EXACTLY he wants you to put the bullet.

The buffalo shot placement is somewhat suspect in the mini edition. Everything else is fine. Get the mini perfect shot buffalo to get the correct shot placement on buff.

Great advice so far!

You can always wing it and just check the glove boxes of the Land Cruisers in camp for a mini edition:)

I've contributed several by forgetting them;)

Sort of a "pay it forward"! LOL

Kevin Robertson is a fun author and extremely knowledgeable in multiple areas. Do yourself a favor and buy any of his books you can get your hands on-give them to friends when they go on their first safaris or keep them as references and entertaining reading-

Kevin Robertson is a fun author and extremely knowledgeable in multiple areas. Do yourself a favor and buy any of his books you can get your hands on-give them to friends when they go on their first safaris or keep them as references and entertaining reading-
I just finished ‘It shouldn’t happen’. And thoroughly enjoyed it.

4. The Perfect Shot 2 hardcover

Worth it. Planning to keep mine forever.

The practical shot is a much better book on shot placement

I'd be surprised if your PH didn't have a copy of it in camp (or on the vehicle)! KR also has videos where he covers one species each episode (free on Youtube.) It's not just about shot placement, but proper calibers/cartridges/bullet selection on varying African game.

Who’s the author of that? The information around the species in the Perfect Shot 2 is also very interesting. I enjoyed it.

Image1712769689.143974.jpg

I am sure its available on amazon

'Have seen Wayne (TZ PH) in action in several videos. A true, experienced gent!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hattie05G

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.