The old crf vs prf debate....

Scott, As I said Embellish is a bad word and the wrong word, for what I want to say. I am saying your mate changed his story. The Chinese Whispers referred to the telling by others, once again not a deliberate act, it happens. In all sorts of situations people can and do remember things that are not correct/did not happen as seen by the person/persons. This is not a deliberate act. It happens and is well documented. This is not derogatory comment about anybody, just a fact.

To me you deserve the lack of respect I am showing due to your bull headedness in maintaining your stance on the PF bit without stipulating what it was. I do not doubt the situation happened, I am questioning the assumptions/cause of the problem, as I am entitled to do. There is not one failure that can happen to a push feed that can not happen to a CRF Period. If there is as I have asked what was it. You refuse to tell use what that was. So either you do not know what it was, if so get some credibility back by acknowledging this or telling us what the failure was due to push feed. I have asked you several times what the failure was and you blatantly refuse to tell us. So instead of insulting my and others intelligence, answer that one simple question.

Just for your education I have suffered more jams due to the bolt jamming with CRF than with PF. These have been manufacturing faults that the CRF lends itself to if they do not have a guide rib like the M98 and it is the extractor that is the part jamming against the side of the action. The part that broke shows as a manufacturing fault I hope you agree on that.

I don't care if others are PM to you about me, the fact you mention this shows a floor in your character, at least to me. Bit like the bully in the school yard relying on pear pressure to back him up.

Change my tone, will do when you answer the question.

Oh dang, I thought that you had faded away. Maybe you should try to PM me instead but I sense you like the drama.

I believe he told it as it happened. He has not changed the description. You are not listening. I can tell you from personal experience of being in a deadly stressful situation, as I was in CAR, that you are incredibly focused, aware and don't forget a thing. Maybe your mind works differently and I doubt you are a psychologist.

Isn't it clear to you by now and from my answers that I am not ALLOWED to tell you more about the rifle or the exact issue due to an agreement with the manufacturer? If you can't take my word for it, fine but don't act like you know me, mate.

You are wrong with your assumptions about the part that broke but thanks for trying to educate me.

Scott

"Not Allowed".......... not allowed by who?

Ian Flemming? Who?

Or is this one of those thing that next you'll be telling us that if you tell us you'll have to kill us all?

Hell...... go ahead....... I'm almost as old as dirt and I'm ready for the long sleep..... so just tell me.

:A Banana: You may fire when ready...

Scott

Ian Flemming? Who?

Or is this one of those thing that next you'll be telling us that if you tell us you'll have to kill us all?

Hell...... go ahead....... I'm almost as old as dirt and I'm ready for the long sleep..... so just tell me.

I'm assuming he's privy to the details of his friend's arrangement with the manufacture that paid the medical bills due to a faulty firearm. He's being respectful of that confidence. Not speaking for him but, if that's the case (and have the feeling it is), that's the honorable thing to do and we should give Scott the courtesy to respect his silence on the matter. Just my two cents, but I'd do the same thing in that circumstance for anyone I called a friend.

I'm assuming he's privy to the details of his friend's arrangement with the manufacture that paid the medical bills due to a faulty firearm. He's being respectful of that confidence. Not speaking for him but, if that's the case (and have the feeling it is), that's the honorable thing to do and we should give Scott the courtesy to respect his silence on the matter. Just my two cents, but I'd do the same thing in that circumstance for anyone I called a friend.

Sure....and I have a growth on my as that sings.....so we named it Susan Boyle.

I carry liability insurance as I build and repair firearms and make ammunition. I called my insurance company about thic claim and they said no way. I contacted two big push feed rifle companies where I know people who would answer me truthfully and they said that no company would ever do that. I contacted a judge .... a real judge..... and he laughed and said "nfw".

So is it possible that CWO was fed a line of shit by the man with no name?

Sure....and I have a growth on my as that sings.....so we named it Susan Boyle.

I carry liability insurance as I build and repair firearms and make ammunition. I called my insurance company about thic claim and they said no way. I contacted two big push feed rifle companies where I know people who would answer me truthfully and they said that no company would ever do that. I contacted a judge .... a real judge..... and he laughed and said "nfw".

So is it possible that CWO was fed a line of shit by the man with no name?

I guess anything is possible, and if you read my original post you will recall I was a bit surprised as well. Not saying this didn't take place, have seen companies do unusual things in the past when odd circumstances arose. I think though that we should give Scott the benefit of the doubt as I'm sure he's simply not wanting to reveal something told to him in confidence, which really was my point. Not discounting your observations, just saying I don't think Scott is giving anyone a line but rather relaying an unfortunate incident within the confines of what he feels he can without disclosing something he considers confidential.

Ok fastrig

When someone writes something like, " anyone who carries a push feed is putting the lives of anyone in their party in jeopardy, including the ph......" that just screams nonsense....or did the "man with no name" tell him that as well?

The aussie @ Rule303 has said or asked anything wrong....no one has called him names and I do find it pretty sad how he has a "secret legion" of supporters who haven't the man chunks to come out and do it in public.

Ok fastrig

When someone writes something like, " anyone who carries a push feed is putting the lives of anyone in their party in jeopardy, including the ph......" that just screams nonsense....or did the "man with no name" tell him that as well?

The aussie @ Rule303 has said or asked anything wrong....no one has called him names and I do find it pretty sad how he has a "secret legion" of supporters who haven't the man chunks to come out and do it in public.

I can see where you are coming from Von, also understand Rule 303's questioning, and I asked quite a few pointed questions myself. However I, for one, believe Scott is simply recounting what he was told in confidence and, unless someone wants to start calling him a flat our liar, I think we should accept it as such and in that context.

Come on guys. The plaintiff sett

upload_2020-3-20_18-20-32.jpeg

Scott

Ian Flemming? Who?

Never heard of an NDA - Non-Disclosure Agreement? I am done with this guys. I am sorry if I offended you about your beloved PF rifles. I admit I was a little strong with that statement I made but I do whole-heartedly believe that a guide or PH should carry certain CRF rifles or a double rifle and I think we can agree that the majority of guides and PHs carry one or the other for DG.

I give you my word that the incident did happen and that there was not a lawsuit, but an agreement. My friend didn't hire an attorney and he didn't make a dime, they just covered his bills.

Scott,

And now there's a written non disclosure agreement ? This story is becoming more convoluted by the minute...... but that's ok.....maybe you're just not a real good story teller...

And maybe we should leave it at that?

Scott,

And now there's a written non disclosure agreement ? This story is becoming more convoluted by the minute...... but that's ok.....maybe you're just not a real good story teller...

And maybe we should leave it at that?

Isn't it clear to you by now and from my answers that I am not ALLOWED to tell you more about the rifle or the exact issue due to an agreement with the manufacturer? If you can't take my word for it, fine but don't act like you know me, mate.

You are not looking for it I guess. Read my replies from the whole thread where I have never been able to mention the rifle make, model or specifics. This thread was dying but you had to jump in. Maybe we should leave it at that.

Over the years I have told a few people that when they have dug a hole that they can't climb out of to just quit digging. I now have to believe that you now won't be able to get out of the hole if you took a trampoline with you.
:A Banana:

Every question that anyone has ask you about this story you have accused them of insulting you or "the man with no name" without cause. You have even shot the "you weren't there so how would you know" line.......... BUT Scott....You weren't there either!!!!!

This bear was allegedly shot three times before it decided to eat your friend who you claim is some sort of super bear guide who made no mistakes and that it wasn't he fault. Did I tell you that years ago I got my leg chewed on by a bear, but unlike you.... a also "self proclaimed super ph"........ it was not only my fault completely, but as a daily reminder it's skull sits on desk with "you are one dumbsumabitch" written on it in black magic marker. And how it came to be was that summer we had way too many bears at the house and our parking lot about 50 x 150 had the trash at the end in cans. The yearling bear no more than 130 pounds had the box with pizza crusts and eating when she who must be obeyed screamed the bears are back and going to eat our kids. I went out the garage and grabbed my walking stick. That I made and walked over to the bear and poked him. He must have been real hungry cause he chose to fight instead of flight. I did quite a bit of whuppin' and a whompin' and I thought he gave up. I turned my back and was about 15 feet away when he gave it the " up yours" and took my 6'41/2" 260 pound ass right off my feet and put me down hard sinking fang above the right ankle. I got him off me by kicking him in the face with my left foot. I unfortunately had to end his life when wouldn't leave and lunged at me right after I pulled my 5 shot hammer less 357 s&w out and put one right in the middle of the skull. It was all my fault..?No excuses.

You said the the bear was shot three times. So what did your friend shoot him with? Something tiny? And if you now say that it was the pussy client who ran off when "the outfitter with no name" who fired and hit the bear then explain why "no name" was attempting to Jack a new round in the chamber when he was in the process of being eaten and if he did shoot then as a big time hunter why was the animal still alive to get some lunch ? They were traveling by boat so if the client was a coward and ran away didn't he run to the boat? When your chews jump friend came out to get the
Phone to call the coastguard wasn't he about?

The "non disclosure agreement" that is a late comer to this twisted story is extremely ridiculous as is how the rifle company got involved in this convoluted tale. You said he didn't sue then how did a company 1000+ miles away even hear about it? I will tell you right now that unless it was a lawyer started an action against the manufacturer they don't ever look for ways to throw money away. Are you aware that it is against the law for a lawyer to write a "NDA" that, in any way, shape of form attempts to coerce anyone to be absolutely quiet on anything that can be harmful to people or the environment ? You have sworn that it was a deffectively designed and built firearm that caused this problem...so why haven't you or the "unknown, unnamed super guide" pinned that " unknown rifle company's " ears back and saved your fellow hunters instead of posting rubbish like this?

So at this site there's what... about 60 thousand member and out of that 60k I would guess that maybe 40 thousand use a push feed rifle and you .yammered out that they will get be getting everyone in their party killed by rampaging beasts because of their weapon choicce.

About 10 years ago a father brought his son in and put a 458wm on lay-away. This June a full grown young manand his father will come see me and pick up his dangerous game rifle that he has saved up for and paid off and it is a push feed........ and you'd like to bust his bubble.

Someone else here would go after the round....

Over the years I have told a few people that when they have dug a hole that they can't climb out of to just quit digging. I now have to believe that you now won't be able to get out of the hole if you took a trampoline with you.
:A Banana:

Every question that anyone has ask you about this story you have accused them of insulting you or "the man with no name" without cause. You have even shot the "you weren't there so how would you know" line.......... BUT Scott....You weren't there either!!!!!

This bear was allegedly shot three times before it decided to eat your friend who you claim is some sort of super bear guide who made no mistakes and that it wasn't he fault. Did I tell you that years ago I got my leg chewed on by a bear, but unlike you.... a also "self proclaimed super ph"........ it was not only my fault completely, but as a daily reminder it's skull sits on desk with "you are one dumbsumabitch" written on it in black magic marker. And how it came to be was that summer we had way too many bears at the house and our parking lot about 50 x 150 had the trash at the end in cans. The yearling bear no more than 130 pounds had the box with pizza crusts and eating when she who must be obeyed screamed the bears are back and going to eat our kids. I went out the garage and grabbed my walking stick. That I made and walked over to the bear and poked him. He must have been real hungry cause he chose to fight instead of flight. I did quite a bit of whuppin' and a whompin' and I thought he gave up. I turned my back and was about 15 feet away when he gave it the " up yours" and took my 6'41/2" 260 pound ass right off my feet and put me down hard sinking fang above the right ankle. I got him off me by kicking him in the face with my left foot. I unfortunately had to end his life when wouldn't leave and lunged at me right after I pulled my 5 shot hammer less 357 s&w out and put one right in the middle of the skull. It was all my fault..?No excuses.

You said the the bear was shot three times. So what did your friend shoot him with? Something tiny? And if you now say that it was the pussy client who ran off when "the outfitter with no name" who fired and hit the bear then explain why "no name" was attempting to Jack a new round in the chamber when he was in the process of being eaten and if he did shoot then as a big time hunter why was the animal still alive to get some lunch ? They were traveling by boat so if the client was a coward and ran away didn't he run to the boat? When your chews jump friend came out to get the
Phone to call the coastguard wasn't he about?

The "non disclosure agreement" that is a late comer to this twisted story is extremely ridiculous as is how the rifle company got involved in this convoluted tale. You said he didn't sue then how did a company 1000+ miles away even hear about it? I will tell you right now that unless it was a lawyer started an action against the manufacturer they don't ever look for ways to throw money away. Are you aware that it is against the law for a lawyer to write a "NDA" that, in any way, shape of form attempts to coerce anyone to be absolutely quiet on anything that can be harmful to people or the environment ? You have sworn that it was a deffectively designed and built firearm that caused this problem...so why haven't you or the "unknown, unnamed super guide" pinned that " unknown rifle company's " ears back and saved your fellow hunters instead of posting rubbish like this?

So at this site there's what... about 60 thousand member and out of that 60k I would guess that maybe 40 thousand use a push feed rifle and you .yammered out that they will get be getting everyone in their party killed by rampaging beasts because of their weapon choicce.

About 10 years ago a father brought his son in and put a 458wm on lay-away. This June a full grown young manand his father will come see me and pick up his dangerous game rifle that he has saved up for and paid off and it is a push feed........ and you'd like to bust his bubble.

Someone else here would go after the round....

It's ironic that you say nobody has insulted me or my friend and then you go on to do that exact thing by using the "allegedly shot three times", "super guide" and "self proclaimed super ph" and "So what did your friend shoot him with? Something tiny?" statements. As well as rudely telling me I have dug a hole. I have only defended myself and my friend from warrant-less attacks and assumptions made without the whole story.

This thread wasn't supposed to be about the details of the attack. It was about rifle failures. Since some people on this site refuse to believe that a PF can be a problem, they and you make statements about the attack and then I have to keep clarifying and correcting those false assumptions and statements. THAT is why you think the story keeps moving along. The story hasn't changed but I am forced to give more and more details about the attack. I will give more now to hopefully stop rude people from insulting him.

He wasn't shooting something "tiny" unless you call a .416 tiny. You also seem to lack a basic understanding of bear hunting and hunting in general. His main boat was anchored miles away. We glass the beaches from small skiffs. Skiffs and their motors make noise and we must watch the wind direction. A big bear was spotted on a beach. They beached the skiff a long way downwind and out of earshot from the bear and then hiked into the wind towards the bear. Once they were close, the hunter then made a poor hit on the bear with a .375 H&H, even with a good rest. The guide then took a shot at a RUNNING BEAR as it streaked towards the forest. The guide hit the bear but obviously it wasn't a quickly fatal hit. Are you going to beat him down about this too? It was a very difficult running shot as ANYONE with any kind of true hunting experience can appreciate. The guide did nothing wrong, he did the stalk and set up the hunter perfectly. The hunter made a poor shot.

The guide told the hunter to stay on the beach and to come and help if he heard problems or if the guide called for him. At this point, the proper protocol is to leave the hunter at the edge of the timber and the guide looks for the bear without the hunter. The reasons for this are many but the most important reason is that if the bear isn't dead (and nobody knows for sure at this point) and the bear has set up an ambush, it will charge at the first sound it hears. Most hunters are noisy. It is incredibly important that the guide make zero noise. These coastal rain forests of old-growth timber are full of moss on every surface, downed logs and lots of other noisy, slippery obstacles. If you have a hunter with you, most of whom are inexperienced dealing with a dangerous wounded animal at close range and the stress that it entails, the two of you can't be as quiet and the guide is at risk of being shot by a hunter that slips and falls. It is not a safe situation for most hunters. This is what the guide is paid for but it's something that nobody wants to do.

As for the bear, it will either keep moving if it isn't fatally hit or, if fatally hit and hurting quite bad, it will seek some heavy cover at some point and be watching it's back trail to defend itself in ambush. These bears are in self-defense mode and full of adrenaline, as you can imagine. As the guide slowly and silently tracked the bear, he at first was happy that the spoor was in fairly open timber but then, to his dismay, the spoor turned 90 degrees and headed into a thicket. It is at this point that the bear either saw the guide or heard something. The guide heard a branch snap and he knew immediately that the bear was coming for him. He raised the rifle and the bear came into sight almost immediately. These bears come super fast and streak at you low to the ground, they aren't standing as Hollywood likes to portray. The guide got off a good shot at very close range but the bear was on him in an instant and rolled him backwards. This is the point where the rifle problem occurred and he wasn't able to shoot the bear again and was forced to us the rifle like a stick. As you can imagine, he started yelling and screaming as the bear attacked him. The hunter, a Mexican national, got scared and panicked when he heard the commotion. The hunter went back to the skiff that was well down the beach, leaving my friend for dead. As I stated in earlier posts, the bear finally stopped attacking him and laid down. My friend, without a functioning rifle and realizing that the hunter had left him for dead, decided to break protocol. He got up as best he could and hobbled away from the bear with a mangled foot and with his other leg badly damaged in the thigh area. His hands and arms were also bloodied. You are not supposed to run from a bear but he thought he had no choice and didn't want to bleed out right there with nobody coming to help him. Obviously, as it turned out, it worked out for him. Luckily, the bear did not get up. He made it to the beach, called the Coast Guard on his handheld radio (not a phone as you mistakenly stated- there is little phone service in the SE Alasksa island bays and I can't believe I have to mention this fact) and passed out for a while. This all transpired within a matter of minutes. He later woke up and staggered down the beach and ran into his 18 year-old nephew. The nephew had been in the skiff with them and was tending to the skiff to keep it from making noise on the rocks along the beach. When the hunter returned to the skiff, the nephew took his gun and went searching for the guide.

All of this really has nothing to do with the rifle but since people keep accusing me of adding to the story, I figured I would just tell the WHOLE DAMN THING and stop the bitching!

As for bad shooting, when a brown bear is hit poorly on the first shot, it can go badly once in a while and from then on, a big brown bear, full of adrenaline, can soak up a lot of normally fatal shots. I think this is commonly known in the hunting industry with all dangerous game animals. Sometimes you just can't stop that charge. My friend did nothing wrong.

The manufacturer was contacted by the gunsmith. The manufacturer wanted the rifle and it was traded for the medical bills without lawyers. I think the manufacturer handled the situation very professionally. Part of the rifle's design has been altered and is no longer in production.

I have already apologized for making too bold of a statement about the safety of all PF rifles. I don't know what more I can say but I am sure someone will come up with some equally stupid statement that I will have to correct.

This discussion should never have become so ridiculously heated.

I think we would all agree there was a problem with the rifle. Non-disclosure agreements - formal or informal are quite common. As soon as you said that your friend did not wish to reveal the manufacturer, I assumed a non-disclosure agreement was in effect. I suspect your friend had to actually sign one through his legal representation if the manufacturer agreed to compensate medical costs as part of a settlement - but maybe not. He is wise, in any case, to not break it.

What is unclear, is what aspect of the rifle being a Push Feed design played in any part of the actual failure. That it was a push feed and it failed, I and every other fair-minded reader of this conversation will agree. But there is nothing in any of your descriptions that indicates the base cause of failure was the PF design itself. For instance, I have had a bolt release fail on a custom made mauser 98. Had I found it in my hand on a reload and been stomped by a buffalo, it is possible that I might have a civil case against the builder for the improperly functioning release. However, I think it would be a stretch for me to say that the rifle failed because it was a CRF.

So, I think everyone will agree your friend had a faulty rifle. I think everyone will readily agree he was using a PF design of some sort. The manufacturer implicitly, if not explicitly, agreed there was a fault by taking the rifle back and absorbing his medical costs. What remains unclear to many of us, many who have and continue to use PF rifles extensively, is in what way the PF design itself failed.

And I am in no way questioning anything in the account above. I am sure it is as accurate as is humanly possible to recount. What is missing is what technical issue occured that caused the reload or follow-up shot failure and how was a PF design the base cause of that failure.

I think we would all agree there was a problem with the rifle. Non-disclosure agreements - formal or informal are quite common. As soon as you said that your friend did not wish to reveal the manufacturer, I assumed a non-disclosure agreement was in effect. I suspect your friend had to actually sign one through his legal representation if the manufacturer agreed to compensate medical costs as part of a settlement - but maybe not. He is wise, in any case, to not break it.

What is unclear, is what aspect of the rifle being a Push Feed design played in any part of the actual failure. That it was a push feed and it failed, I and every other fair-minded reader of this conversation will agree. But there is nothing in any of your descriptions that indicates the base cause of failure was the PF design itself. For instance, I have had a bolt release fail on a custom made mauser 98. Had I found it in my hand on a reload and been stomped by a buffalo, it is possible that I might have a civil case against the builder for the improperly functioning release. However, I think it would be a stretch for me to say that the rifle failed because it was a CRF.

So, I think everyone will agree your friend had a faulty rifle. I think everyone will readily agree he was using a PF design of some sort. The manufacturer implicitly, if not explicitly, agreed there was a fault by taking the rifle back and absorbing his medical costs. What remains unclear to many of us, many who have and continue to use PF rifles extensively, is in what way the PF design itself failed.

And I am in no way questioning anything in the account above. I am sure it is as accurate as is humanly possible to recount. What is missing is what technical issue occured that caused the reload or follow-up shot failure and how was a PF design the base cause of that failure.
That bolt rifle of yours , Sir ( The 1 where the bolt release failed ) ... Was it by any chance a Browning Safari Hi Power ?

Thanks Red Leg. I appreciate the frustration but I am unable to expand and believe me, I would like to expand. I thought, but now see it is impossible, that my word and everything associated with the situation, would be enough. I now recognize that on the anonymous internet that people don't know each other and this makes it too easy to cast doubt and aspersions. I wish I would have never brought it up. The ironic thing is that I was just trying to help and answer a question. As I have mentioned, I made too strong of a statement but was only trying to give my advice as a guide as to why I prefer a CRF rifle for DG. Live and learn.

Shhh. Be very quiet.

Look! The rarest of Internet forum comments. A calm and reasoned request for clarification.

Quickly, quickly... take a picture before it disappears.

And then it was gone. One day you’ll tell your grandkids about this moment.

That bolt rifle of yours , Sir ( The 1 where the bolt release failed ) ... Was it by any chance a Browning Safari Hi Power ?
It was built on one of those actions. The bolt release is unnecessarily complicated and a speck of dust can cause it to not fully engage.

The two most likely companies that have manufactured a 416 of any sort in a PF action would be Remington and Sako, if I'm not mistaken. The Remington has had it's obvious detractors about it's flimsy extractor. And if that failed, it could cause an issue for sure. And the Sako L61 and AV actions had a bolt guide that could slide forward under recoil and jam the action closed. This would lock the bolt completely up, until the bolt guide could be pushed back with a small punch or screwdriver. Those could be said to be problems that wouldn't occur on a CRF style action, but in both cases it's more of a design issue, than a CRF vs PF issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theron03S

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!