The next best calibre?

@Doug Hamilton
The link of the picture I'm refering to is beneath the quote in the post .....:sneaky:.
Yellow bright marked. Look closer....... helps sometimes ;)

I do critisize Your post, that You think You're ".....not feeling undergunned" with a 300 Win and 200 grain shooting at giraffe or eland. And I've said: You are.
Some details in front: Giraffe bones are the most hard bones in african wildlife. They were used for weapons and tools before the white man entered the continent. So giraffe is not made of wet phonebooks!
Then, I shot myself about 10 Elands from big to small and I exeprienced every time, that eland is an example for african severity and mobility. In any way!! This animal stands, about 1000kg lifeweight, next to a cattle fence ( 120-140cm) and jumps out of the stand over that fencing without a blink! Just like this.
This animal is stout, made of pure muscles, damed thick bones and fat inside everywhere. Even a 375H&H is quiet busy chewing a way through all this tissue and rocket hard material.
You talk like it's a walk in the park to hunt it save and humane with a 300 Winchester? My opinion: Bullshit!
Besides, the 375, (which I would carry minimum for a hunt like this) offers power, which is double relating to "killing power score" (https://www.chuckhawks.com/rifle_killing_power_list.htm) than the 300 Win.
We've one successfull hunter (@fourfive8) with a big nice eland bull down and dead in the upper post. (Ach ja...For the photo just click the Link down here ;)).
No, not just a talker, he's a real hunter with a picture as a proof. You will read about that guy, that he felt happy with the 416 and not overgunned. And .416 is quiet far above my advise.
In respect of the thread owner I finish my comments about this issue right here.
Wright, do and think what You want and remember my words when You walk sweating and swearing behind Your expensive trophy, worrying if it will be found before night or the maggots and shakals get it first ??! We'll see.. !
@Rosch
I have seen the 375H&H fail on a giraffe. Not because of the caliber but thru the wrong choice of projectiles. One projectile was found with just the cup stuck to the heart minus the core. Projectile choice plays a big part in hunting.
I have NOT shot eland or giraffe but would gladly use my Whelen on either with either a 275g or 300gn Woodleigh and not feel undergunned. A lot of These animals have been taken with the 300WM,7mms and even the old 303 British using the 215gn soft point.
The argument over caliber seems to me to be a bit over done. My PH has taken eland with a bow so was he undergunned.
Yes more may be better as long as you can use it properly BUT please don't knock another person's choice especially if they are using the correct projectiles for the job in an adequate caliber. If a 175gn in a 7x57 will work adequately why won't a 300 with a 200 or 220gn.
This mine is bigger and better than yours seems silly, the proof is in the dead animal as long as the caliber is adequate to get the job done humanely.
Bob

@Rosch
I have seen the 375H&H fail on a giraffe. Not because of the caliber but thru the wrong choice of projectiles. One projectile was found with just the cup stuck to the heart minus the core. Projectile choice plays a big part in hunting.
I have NOT shot eland or giraffe but would gladly use my Whelen on either with either a 275g or 300gn Woodleigh and not feel undergunned. A lot of These animals have been taken with the 300WM,7mms and even the old 303 British using the 215gn soft point.
The argument over caliber seems to me to be a bit over done. My PH has taken eland with a bow so was he undergunned.
Yes more may be better as long as you can use it properly BUT please don't knock another person's choice especially if they are using the correct projectiles for the job in an adequate caliber. If a 175gn in a 7x57 will work adequately why won't a 300 with a 200 or 220gn.
This mine is bigger and better than yours seems silly, the proof is in the dead animal as long as the caliber is adequate to get the job done humanely.
Bob
Hey Bob,
Check out the hunting report thread on here by NIGHTHAWK: "South Africa: .243 on Safari in the Waterburg Mountains". He shot a bunch of PG with a Barnes 80gr TTSX .243, including a Golden Wildebeest at 280 yards! I wouldn't have thought the .243 would have enough energy left to kill a rabbit at that distance? LOL Guess I would be "over gunned" using my Savage .25-06? LOL
CEH

I hunted jack rabbits with my 500 Jeffery last fall, was I over gunned? Didn't leave much rabbit though ..
"was I over gunned?" "Didn't leave much rabbit though". Well, I'm assuming you were using a soft point, in which case you WERE over gunned. Solids only on rabbits, preferably monometal. That way, after a long day of shooting rabbits, you can boil the bullets and have hot rabbit soup? A little vegemite on toast and a glass or three of Bundy, and you'll be in heaven or think you're in OZ? LOL

I’m irrational like the square root of 3! :ROFLMAO:
Pfft….I’m an electrical engineer, I have an explanation for the square root of -1! Now that’s irrational!!!

Soooooooo out of all 7 pages of my question I basically have to go buy a .300WM, .338WM , .375H&H, .416RM , .458WM and can’t forget the .35 Whelen :A Stirring::D Beers:

good luck to me getting this past the minister or war and finance :D

Soooooooo out of all 7 pages of my question I basically have to go buy a .300WM, .338WM , .375H&H, .416RM , .458WM and can’t forget the .35 Whelen :A Stirring::D Beers:

@Shifty
I just c a ll my wife SWAMBO. She who must be obeyed. Mine is also the minister for social occasions.
Just remember Shifty you are the boss of the house and don't forget it BUT it's only until she gets home.
Bob

Everyone has their favorite. And everyone can give an anecdotal example of how such and such caliber or rifle DRT'd such and such an animal. Truth is the 270 will do fine on most all PG with an accurate rifle, a good tough bullet shooting at 75 yards off a rest with a standing animal perfectly broadside. Think about it, chances are pretty good the reality may be just the opposite. The way to plan, IMO, is worst case scenario real world for the field where first shot may be deflected or rushed or pulled or whatever and not perfect... then each subsequent shot gets worse- harder and harder to place exactly. And so on. Next best besides 270 Win??? My recommendation is to plan for worst case scenario. Medium sized PG like oryx and wildebeest are notoriously tough pound for pound even though their weights may only be in the 400-500 lb range. If you plan on or if the remote possibly exists that eland could be on the list... then 375 HH or bigger is logical. I know Bell killed a trainload of elephants with the 7x57 using 173 gr FMJ DWM ammo, but this is not the turn of the last century and we do not have the luxury of experimenting, frogging around with marginal tools. Shoot a smaller PG with something like a high vel 30 Mag of some description with expanding bullet and find half an animal left. There goes most of the meat and most of the cape/hide. Conversely, shoot one with a heavy, tough 375 bullet at lower velocity and find a neat hole through and through. I have shot quite a few wildebeest with a 375 HH and it was not too much gun. Until you walk up to a large eland bull you have no idea how large they really are- many rivaling the weight of a Cape buffalo bull.

Hey Bob,
Check out the hunting report thread on here by NIGHTHAWK: "South Africa: .243 on Safari in the Waterburg Mountains". He shot a bunch of PG with a Barnes 80gr TTSX .243, including a Golden Wildebeest at 280 yards! I wouldn't have thought the .243 would have enough energy left to kill a rabbit at that distance? LOL Guess I would be "over gunned" using my Savage .25-06? LOL
CEH
Oh sweet baby Jesus! According to the Lord of the flies on the Bundy bottle, you ought to be able to take down anything you can see. Haha! By a miraculous increase of just 0.013" we have improved drastically our mortality rate in this cartridge and hunters throughout the world will benefit from decreased tracking and instantaneous recovery. Ha ha ha!

30-06 for PG is never wrong. It'll be available everywhere
375 always works and will do good on PG. It'll be available everywhere
If you must magnum, 300 Win Mag or 300 H&H. Are you planning 200+ yard shots?

Nothing wrong with
9.3, 338, 35

No matter how many of our favorites calibers and their respective bullet types are suggested; shot placement is still paramount…

I’m having great difficulty in accepting that I have to say this to a fellow Bundy drinker
You’re in Australia…projectiles, primers and factory ammunition are scarcer than an Australian nuclear submarine. So…..you really only have one choice…that cartridge for the common working man…the mighty 308 Winchester. Qualify ammunition is readily available and sort of affordable….especially when compared to the magnum cartridges. What you save on ammunition can be invested into Rum.
and forget that pretend, want to be a 9.3 x 62 , cartridge the 35 Wee Lin.

I love spending other peoples money!
I’m going to suggest two. Both perform above their book ballistics, the 7X57, & the .375 H&H Mag. If you handload the .375 can be loaded from the old .38-55 level to full bore .375.
I’m loading mine down to the 9.3X62 range in deference to old, achy shoulders.
Enjoy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg