The mythical single rifle

Hi y’all, I’m new here and I was just curious. If you could own 1 and only 1 rifle for hunting for the rest of your life what would it be? Any action, any caliber.

Nick
What part of the world are you thinking or are you thinking worldwide? If you mean worldwide, my choice would be a Win 70 Safari Express in 375HH. Otherwise my MRC American Legend 30-06.
 
Hi y’all, I’m new here and I was just curious. If you could own 1 and only 1 rifle for hunting for the rest of your life what would it be?

Early election
 
A question like that is wide open as there are so many different hunting conditions and areas with varying species so as a first question of a new member it really does need more thought. A rabbit (or squirel) to an elephant is simply not viable hunting with any one rifle.
It may be that the poster has lobbed a grenade
 
A question like that is wide open as there are so many different hunting conditions and areas with varying species so as a first question of a new member it really does need more thought. A rabbit (or squirel) to an elephant is simply not viable hunting with any one rifle.
It may be that the poster has lobbed a grenade
Ok then let me narrow it down a bit. Hunting for “medium game” so let’s say from American whitetail/impala sized animals all the way up to a eland/moose sized animal
 
Ok then let me narrow it down a bit. Hunting for “medium game” so let’s say from American whitetail/impala sized animals all the way up to a eland/moose sized animal
With those limits I could happily hunt with a good 30'06. If I had to be specific about the rifle I would choose either my old Ruger M77 or my pre64 M70 Winchester featherweight.
 
I too would go for the 30-06 with 180gr bullets.

I would be very happy with that.

It doesn't seem to be that fashionable here in the UK, I'm the only person I know that uses this calibre and I don't know why because it covers so many bases.
 
My A-bolt in 30-06 would be fine for the game mentioned and has been used to good effect on both ends of the mentioned spectrum. It was my one rifle for a good while and served admirably domestically and abroad from small whitetail to eland.

These days, I likely prefer my 375 R8, although it is a bit heavier. Travels easier and 375 is better on the big stuff than is 30-06. It is scoped for true all-purpose use with a 1-8 scope as I believe 1x is mandatory for a rifle that may be used scoped on dangerous game. The '06 wears a 1.7-10 with a bigger objective and is a bit better in low light.

If I knew I'd never travel overseas again or in an airplane with a rifle and I knew I would never again go after buffalo or elephant, I'd choose the '06. Since I cannot predict the future and those remain possibilities, I choose the R8. In either case, a projectile from Barnes would be doing the work.
 
I’m actively ISO that rifle now. I’ve settled on the 9.3x62.
Just make sure it meets the minimum for any dangerous game in the countries you may hunt. I assume you are considering dangerous game at least once, otherwise, 9.3x62 is generally bigger than most people would choose- not that it won't work- my experience with 404J on plains game convinced me that there is a difference! Whether that difference matters (using an '06 has never cost me lost game) is a different question. If you are considering the 9.3 for use exclusively on plains game, I like your style.
 
I am going to choose to view this through the lens of what I already own. The logical choice would be my Ruger 77 in .300 WinMag. The choice I'd want to make would be my Marlin MXLR in .338 Marlin Express.

What I would actually choose? Probably my Savage 24. I can load the .30-30 up or down a great deal, and that 20 gauge barrel is handy.
 
Just make sure it meets the minimum for any dangerous game in the countries you may hunt. I assume you are considering dangerous game at least once, otherwise, 9.3x62 is generally bigger than most people would choose- not that it won't work- my experience with 404J on plains game convinced me that there is a difference! Whether that difference matters (using an '06 has never cost me lost game) is a different question. If you are considering the 9.3 for use exclusively on plains game, I like your style.
I’m looking for a gun well suited to North American and African big game. For Dangerous Game I’ve got the 450/400. I think the 9.3x62 will prove great for anything the States has to offer and most plains game as well.
 
I’m looking for a gun well suited to North American and African big game. For Dangerous Game I’ve got the 450/400. I think the 9.3x62 will prove great for anything the States has to offer and most plains game as well.
You are well covered on all fronts.
 
I'd agree with Kevin here, something nice and versatile...
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,303
Messages
1,572,177
Members
169,505
Latest member
CharliL771
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top