The Marauder Of Talpatti

Thanks for sharing this story. Once again a night hunt. The full moon is a great help I'm sure. Good shooting. Too bad about the child. At least you were able to stop the tiger before more lost their lives to him.
Bruce
@gillettehunter
Thank you very much . You are 100 % correct . Without the aid of the full moon , we would never have been able to spot the marauding Royal Bengal tiger as he crawled out of the canal .

I take my hat off to anyone shooting a bengal tiger at night with a shotgun.. (y)

I take my hat off to anyone shooting a bengal tiger at night with a shotgun.. (y)
@Pondoro
Thank you very much . If I had to do it all over again , then I would use my .458 Winchester Magnum and 500 grain Nosler Partition factory loads . Unfortunately , I did not acquire my .458 Winchester Magnum until 1977 .

@Pondoro
Thank you very much . If I had to do it all over again , then I would use my .458 Winchester Magnum and 500 grain Nosler Partition factory loads . Unfortunately , I did not acquire my .458 Winchester Magnum until 1977 .
Nosler Partition soft point cartridges or Hornady DGX soft point cartridges , Anayeth ?

As the years went by , I am glad that I retained the hide of the marauder of Talpatti . Sometimes , sentimental value supersedes financial value . I returned the doll to the father of the unfortunate little girl , whose innocent life had been the final one to be claimed by the marauding Royal Bengal tiger . He tearfully accepted it and told me that his daughter’s name was Rehnuma .

I would like to dedicate this story to the memory of Rehnuma , that poor little seven year old girl who lost her life due to the cruelty of nature . As a personal opinion , I firmly believe that the number of marauding Royal Bengal tigers in southeast Asia would greatly be reduced if a form of regulated trophy hunting existed to reduce the number of elderly males ( who have passed breeding age ) which inhibit the countless forests of the region . The funds generated from these trophy hunts , would aid greatly in a better and more sustainable conservation of the species in the long run . They would also greatly reduce the immense human - wildlife conflict which occurs in this part of the world . Like it or not , the reality of the way the world works is this - The greatest approach to conserving a species , is by always putting a monetary value on it .

Of course , I am only a college professor and not a world leader .

THE END
View attachment 370911
The only known photograph of Rehnuma , collected by the author . 1972
@Professor Malwa
Another excellent story professor.
It is a sad but true fact of life that one thing must die so the other can live.
I 100% agree that the best way to conserve/ preserve something is put a value on it. Where I hunted in Namibia the philosophy was if it doesn't pay it doesn't stay.
Bob

@Pondoro
@Professor Malwa
I would be more than content with friend Potons sxs Belgium shotgun with lethal ball cartridges or Breneke Black magic slugs. My shoulder c ant handle to much recoil now.
Bob

Yikes! Another scary night hunt in an isolated (by water) location! I don’t know how I missed this in October! The Garo was crazy for swimming back in the dark in my humble opinion!
Thanks again for sharing another intensely exciting hunt!
So sad for the little girl and especially for her parents. I would have been devastated if it had been my child! Just awful! It’s one thing when one of us old farts dies, but we have already had an opportunity in a long life. It’s quite another sadness for one so young just beginning her life.

@Professor Malwa
Another excellent story professor.
It is a sad but true fact of life that one thing must die so the other can live.
I 100% agree that the best way to conserve/ preserve something is put a value on it. Where I hunted in Namibia the philosophy was if it doesn't pay it doesn't stay.
Bob
@Bob Nelson 35Whelen
I am truly honored that you have enjoyed this .

Yikes! Another scary night hunt in an isolated (by water) location! I don’t know how I missed this in October! The Garo was crazy for swimming back in the dark in my humble opinion!
Thanks again for sharing another intensely exciting hunt!
So sad for the little girl and especially for her parents. I would have been devastated if it had been my child! Just awful! It’s one thing when one of us old farts dies, but we have already had an opportunity in a long life. It’s quite another sadness for one so young just beginning her life.
@Ridgewalker
You are truly a gentleman who is full of empathy . Tomorrow , I shall relate an incident on AH forums where the fearlessness of my Garo tracker saved me from my impending demise at the claws of an Asian sloth bear in 1973 .

Royal Bengal tigers ( on average ) are responsible for more than 52 deaths per year , in Bangladesh . By reading my adventures , many people might assume ( erroneously ) that it is quite straightforward to obtain the license to shoot a marauding Royal Bengal tiger in Bangladesh . However , this is simply not true .

When there is a marauding Royal Bengal tiger at large in a particular region , the DFO ( Divisional Forest Officer ) first organizes attempts to ward the animal away from the region . If this does not work , then attempts are made to capture the Royal Bengal tiger alive and re-locate it to an area where the human population is nonexistent . When ( and only when ) all of these attempts at non lethally contending with the marauder prove to be in vain , then ( and only then ) the DFO travels all the way to Dacca ( our capital city ) and applies for written permission from the acting government body ; to hunt down the the marauding Royal Bengal tiger and kill it . And the DFO must be able to provide an overwhelming amount of evidence to indicate that all non lethal attempts at contending with the marauder have been futile .

Is there an estimation of the number of wild Royal Bengal Tigers in Bangladesh?

That seems like a lot of work on your part just to help out? Although the adventure itself of getting to hunt them certainly seems worth the effort.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bkNen

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross