Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
RMEF, DU, NRA
Hunted
US, Canada, South Africa
I remember reading many years ago when the author said "Beware of the man with one rifle". I think he meant that if a man only had one rifle he was very familiar and likely efficient with it.

I can claim that I'm the first of this sentence, but not the latter.

I'm the guy with one centerfire rifle in my gun safe. As a youth I dreamt of having a different rifle set up for every type of game I pursued. As it turned out my first rifle was a .300 Winchester in Remington 700 that I bought for an elk hunt over 30 years ago. Since then I've used it on a dozen elk hunts, caribou, moose and wolf in Alaska, antelope in Wyoming and finally deer in MN. Next month it gets to go with me on my first trip to Africa for Kudu. Gemsbok, Zebra, Impala and maybe something else. I'm down to shooting one cartridge for everything, Federal Premiums with 180 Nosler partitions. I can't beat it handloading, others probably can, but I can't. I spend my time practicing instead.

I realize that by Africa standards the .300 Win. is no powerhouse. From what I have needed it has been very good, and I am hoping it will be for the plains game I'm after next month. If I didn't think it would be I'd get what was recommended.

So, it might be boring. But it's steady, and a comfortable. I'd rather have one rifle and spend money on hunting than have many rifles and not afford to hunt. Wish I could do both, but I'm happy with what I've got. I'm a one rifle chump.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your Remington .300WM will take every African PG from kudu on down in size without ANY problem. I would say eland too, but I've never hunted one. I shot all my PG with one using 180gr Barnes TTSXs. Definitely no need to get a larger caliber for PG unless you just want to. The game you hunt needs to beware of YOU with your one rifle and experience using it. Good luck on your hunt!

I suggest upgrading your bullet choice to Swift A-Frame, Barnes TTSX or Nosler Accubond. They all hold together better than the Partition.

More people would be better off learning one rifle well. Nothing wrong with one.

If someone says different, it is their insecurities talking.

Good luck on your hunt, looking forward to the pictures and report!

I have taken a couple elk with 200 grain A frames. My rifle likes them but I can't find the for sale anywhere. Complete pass threws, messed up everything inside on the way.

I have a box and may take them with. I know how each load shoots from my rifle.

black wildebeest.JPG
Everyone told me a .308 was not enough rifle for African Plains Game, but I took my Savage Lightweight Hunter in .308 because it has been my go to rifle for the last 10 years. Also traveled with a couple of Weatherby rifles in 7mm Rem Mag and .300 Rem Mag. Our first morning my PH said we would likely see Impala and Springbok so grabbed the .308. The first animal I saw in Africa was this Black Wildebeast bull. My PH said "303 yards, take him sir". I took the shot, the wildebeast crumpled in place and never moved. (you can see where my bullet hit right in the crease) After that I did not shoot any other rifle on the trip. I took nine animals total, two with my bow and the other seven with the 20 inch barrel .308 which was spitting out my 165 gr federal Trophy Bonded Tip bullet at a whopping 2601 fps! (Average of my 10 shot group) My two sons started borrowing my rifle. The little .308 took fifteen trophies on our trip, everything from springbok up to trophy class (SCI GOLD) Kudu and Waterbuck. Not once were the talents of one of our trackers required. So yep I get the one rifle thing. When I pull the trigger on this one I KNOW the bullet is going where I want it to, don't really have to think about it or worry about it. I totally understand that a .308 is NOT the right tool for every situation. But I'll push the limits of conventional wisdom on caliber selection a bit because I know that a relatively light and slow moving .308 bullet that is going hit exactly where I will it too is many times better than something more powerful but less precise in my hands.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...y/infinitely&usg=AOvVaw3H4bUhCk07WL6KhJUNwbaj

.300 WinMag is more than able to take any plainsgame animal in Afrika. Just make sure you use the premium bullets as others have suggested. That will be more important than the exact cartridge/caliber.

With the bigger animals, kudu, waterbuck, sable, roan, eland, you might want to avoid certain shot angles, and will have to wait for a more perfect broad side shot. But the .300 WinMag will take them all.

If it works for you that's all that matters.

I hunted South Africa once. I hired a 7mmRm.

In discussions with my PH he said if you had one rifle for most plains game a .300wm is a good choice.

Except AK, most folks who have succumbed to the AR/AK fever are NOT accuracy shooters, but sprayers and prayers, while those who hunt with a single shot know they have one chance and they tend to practice to make sure they can make it count.

I’ve used my 300 WM to hunt Africa 3 times and have killed PG from Eland to springbuck without any issues. Have taken the same rifle to Alaska to get a brown bear and moose. I did use 200 grain TBBC bullets. Don’t think federal premium loads them any more. Fortunately I have several boxes left. I do use the 180 noslers on deer and hogs and they work great for that. Put your shots in the right spots and you’ll be just fine. Good luck on your safari.

I used a 300WM with 180 Nosler Partitions my first trip. Shot angles were not all perfect causing one long tracking and quick backup shots on zebra. Africa game is tougher, IMO, than ours. Bought a 375 H&H when I returned home and that has gone on all my following trips.
Personally I think the 180 Nosler Partition works better from a lower velocity cartridge than the 300 WM, such as 30-06 or 308. IME the 200 grain is better in both the 300 WM and 30-06. Hunting bushveld and often needing to shoot through it, the longer bullet seems to stabilize better both 200 grain in 30 cal and 300 grain in 375 cal.
You’re going to have a grand time and I doubt very much this will be your only trip! Be certain to take lots of pictures to share with us!

I've taken over 30 plains game with either a 7mm-08 or a .308 from eland to steenbok. The animal knows not what caliber you're using, if the bullet hits the mark the result remains the same.

When I got serious about going to southern Africa I did a fair amount of research and asked every outfitter at a local sportmans show what they thought I should bring. Everone said something like "Do you own a 30/06 or 308? Bring it." They prefer the person that owns a tried and true firearm they shoot confidently. I brought my 30/06 on my first two trips and eight animals dropped within sight. You're working the same principal and I'm sure the outcome will be the same. Good hunting.

Stormy Kromer, your 300 Win Mag is a fine choice for all African PG. I suggest you use a 200 Gr. premium bullet like the Swift A Frame, and or a TBBC. A highly respected African PH told us that although 180 Gr. bullets will work, the 200 Gr. options mentioned above are better.

More people would be better off learning one rifle well. Nothing wrong with one.

If someone says different, it is their insecurities talking.
I guess I must be very insecure for not using the same rifle for PG and DG. :unsure:
Marksmanship is very independent of caliber and rifle and principles of marksmanship are universal.

Good luck on your hunt. I look forward to the pictures of your hunt with that favourite rifle.

I guess I must be very insecure for not using the same rifle for PG and DG. :unsure:
Marksmanship is very independent of caliber and rifle and principles of marksmanship are universal.

No, my comment is for anyone giving the OP a hard time for owning one rifle. Nothing wrong with his view point.

Maybe I did not do a good job of explaining it.

I love loading and shooting Nosler Partitions in both my .270 Ruger 77, and my .338 Ruger Mk II. In my .338, I load 210 grain Partitions, and they've worked just fine on African plains game. You know your rifle, have confidence in it, and your ability. You will be fine in Africa with your caliber and load.

I get it. If I had to I could easily be a one rifle man. In 1995 I went in to a gun shop looking for a specific rifle and the guy behind the counter showed me a different one. That turned out to be the rifle that came home with me (.308 Win) and we’ve been extremely happy together ever since! I do have others but that’s just more a case of liking a little variety and one that my Dad bought me when I was a kid for sentimental reasons. Your .300 WM is more than enough for any non-dangerous game. But I’m sure you already know that!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuigrande

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross