Dr Ray

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hello fellow hunters and adventurers,

That was an excellent account about a brave man of action - the world needs more of them today.
Seems like I also once heard a story about Paul(?) Kruger surviving a lion attack by fatally sticking it with a kitchen knife.
Likewise, there is a story here in Alaska (within the recent few years) of a man in his sixties defeating a grizzly in this very same way.
He was field dressing a deer or carrying fresh deer meat or at least deer hunting anyway when a bear attacked him.
Before the white man, it was the custom of more than one indigenous tribe or language group if you will, for an individual hunter to torment a bear until it attacked and skewered itself on the hunters very stout spear.

The idea was to sit down at the last moment and plant the butt of your spear on the ground, so the in-coming bear impales himself.
The Athabascan's in the Copper River drainage (present day Cordova, Alaska) used spruce as the shank and slate or shale at the point.
The Inupiaq Ekimo of the Shishmaref Village area I think used spruce as well for the shank and they used bear femur bone or walrus ivory for their point.

In both instances, these "bear spears" were relatively short and were made with a very thick shank (about 3" thick).
A fellow from Shishmaref (Garret Nyukpuk) told me that one of his ancestors had taken so many polar bears in this way that he was a bit of a legend in the area.
He also said that polar bear do not usually charge straight in and smash into you like grizzly do.
Instead, it is more like they are stalking prey as they close in.
As they get very close, if you lay down, they have the great failing of then raising up on their hind legs to pounce on you with their front paws, like a wire haired terrier catches a mouse.
That's when you suddenly snap your spear up, so that the butt is on the ground or ice, and he impales himself on the way down.

Tough guys, all of them.
Wollhurter and these others are just what every country needs as leaders.
But instead all we get are pickpockets, robbers and carnival clowns.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Well I sure won't be doing that

Shootist43

Gold supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Hunted
Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
WOW!! This is the first time I've heard and or read this amazing story. Thanks everyone for sharing. Those grandpas were certainly some "tuff old buzzards."

Art Lambart II

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI, QDMA
Hunted
MI, TX, MO, South Africa Limpopo & Northwest Provinces
Great story, so much for carrying a 4" knife in the bush

Rob404

Bronze supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, Member Minnesota Horse and Hunt,,Caribou Hunt Club
Hunted
Illinois,Wisconsin,Michigan Limpopo Province South Africa
First Class

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TammieLigh

Latest profile posts

degoins wrote on Treemantwo's profile.
I have a like new VC .450 I might part with. I had it built in 2013 and it has served me well. Also have a VC fitted leather trunk case for it along with the plastic case it came with. I'll take 14000 for all of it.
Matt W wrote on Jody's profile.
Hi Jody,
I have been looking for ideas on the best way to display my European mounts from Africa. I came across some of your shield work and was wondering if you would be willing to make one for me? If so, please let me know the cost. I like the shield with the two spears that you built for a member years ago. Thanks.
cal pappas wrote on Mnelson2's profile.
Nelson. Is this message a PM format. I want to send you my email, but don't know if this is the cirrect way to do it. I'm at <pappas@mtaonline.net> Send me an email with your phone and I will call you about a skull I have. I went to school in Boston and am from Bernardston in the west part of the state. Moved to Alaska in 1984 adn never looked back.
BeeMaa wrote on Justbryan's profile.
Sold a Blaser scope mount to him. He was a pleasure to do business with.
BeeMaa wrote on 375Fox's profile.
Sold a Blaser scope mount to him. Was a pleasure to do business with.