The last pair of binoculars

If that the case the Swaro should be out too. While they speak German in Austria, it’s still not Germany.
Just Germany by a different name. If politics would’ve been different in the mid 1800s it would’ve been a part of Germany

Good point, Will consider. So what is the main advantage of a 10X over a 8X other than greater magnification? Sorry if this a stupid question.
Typically...

10x is a great all around choice for all around hunting, both in Africa and around the world. If you can only have one set (or your first set) make them 10x and specialize as needed from there.

8x offer more field of view and are lighter. If hunting DG, distances are typically shorter, walks longer so 8x or even 6x are preferred in that case.

12x up to 15x see a lot of use when hunting the western US where hunters and guides spend a lot of time glassing long distances for long hours searching for game. Using both eyes will cause less eye fatigue vs using a spotting scope with only one eye.

Spotting scopes (20x and up) are great for range work or for confirming animal size (worth a stalk or not) once spotted with binos. Typically heavier than 15x binos with lesser field of view as magnification goes up. As mentioned above, eye fatigue as well.

Last edited:
Why would you need 10X, better in daylight I guess but may not be steady as 8X is what I have heard
Have some 10x very good but cheaper ones and there's small difference in clarity to the swarovski...but checking the animal out the 8x are good but the 10x gives that bit more when you are making sure...so want the size of those 10x ones but also the smaller size to 10x42....hate carrying extra weight....why I like light rifles....and no difference in 8x to 10x holding steady

The problem comes when hunting in bright daylight and looking into the shadows, that's when the big three (Leica, Swaro & Zeiss) top quality lenses and coatings make a difference. Hunting is not only done in "perfect" conditions and it has been my experience that it's more often done in some of the worst weather conditions. Sun angle, precipitation, wind/sand/debris all make spotting game harder. Having the best available German glass puts the hunter a leg up over the competition. Of course everything at a price, but the difference is clear...crystal clear.

@spike.t - I hear you on the lighter and wider field of view on the 8x over the 10x, especially for DG.

Presently have Swarovski Habicht SL 8x56. If interested please contact me
[redacted]

Swarovski Habicht SL 8x56.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have not already, send the vortex back to the manufacturer and they will repair/replace no questions asked. Then you can sell them. I have used a fair bit of glass but for binos I have yet to look through nicer than Swarovski. If you are shopping for Swaro's make sure you look through a couple models first. I thought for aure I would be buying EL's but my eyes didn't like the rolling ball effect while scanning and ended up getting SLC's and love them. I haven't had the chance to look through NL's yet.

Reactions: WAB
Presently have Swarovski Habicht SL 8x56. If interested please contact me
[redacted]

View attachment 481718
Hi @kniejadlik, Your private information was removed from your post for privacy reasons. If you want to provide someone your personal information please do so in the Conversation/Private Message (PM) system, thank you.

As per our posting guidelines:
It is not okay to post your own personal information or post links to your personal information, including but not limited to email addresses, telephone numbers, mailing addresses or identification numbers. If you want to provide someone else your personal information please do so in the Conversation/Private Message (PM) system.

When it comes down to it most of us purchase a item such a binoculars for multiple purposes and or hunts. When we do we want a single pair that will provide us with the maximum bang for our bucks.

When it comes to DG hunters I am sure that most of them can afford a few pair of binoculars and can pick the pair that will suit the hunt.

But for me a pair of 10x42's will fit the bill on any hunt that I plan on going on and I have never felt that the 10x42's ever hampered me even when I have been hunting deer and elk in bush just a thick as what is found in Africa.

If you have not already, send the vortex back to the manufacturer and they will repair/replace no questions asked. Then you can sell them. I have used a fair bit of glass but for binos I have yet to look through nicer than Swarovski. If you are shopping for Swaro's make sure you look through a couple models first. I thought for aure I would be buying EL's but my eyes didn't like the rolling ball effect while scanning and ended up getting SLC's and love them. I haven't had the chance to look through NL's yet.

I had the same experience. I ended up with the 10x42 SLC’s and have been very happy with them. I just bought the 15x56 SLC’s from Mark (thanks again Mark), but I’m in England and haven’t seen them yet. By the way, Mark (R&M Firearms) is great to deal with and is really taking care of AH members.

Hi @kniejadlik, Your private information was removed from your post for privacy reasons. If you want to provide someone your personal information please do so in the Conversation/Private Message (PM) system, thank you.

As per our posting guidelines:
It is not okay to post your own personal information or post links to your personal information, including but not limited to email addresses, telephone numbers, mailing addresses or identification numbers. If you want to provide someone else your personal information please do so in the Conversation/Private Message (PM) system.
THANKS. did not mean to break the rules, my ignorance.

If you want the best, buy European (Zeiss, Swarovski, Leica, etc.). Heck, there are probably high-end bird-watching binoculars that I've never heard of.

I like Leopold scopes and Vortex is the current "fan-favorite", but if you really want the best, ante-up and buy one of the big 3.

I have Zeiss full-size and Leica compacts (older models, but great glass)

I have Swarovski 10x42EL’s and Leica 10x40 and they’re great. But if I know I’m going to be doing quite a bit walking and/or stalking then I’ll grab my Zeiss 8x25 or 10x25 Terra’s. They are light with very good glass, rugged and hands down the best binoculars for their price.

I always keep a pair in my truck and they will probably be the last pair(s) of binoculars I will ever own. As you can probably tell they are my favorite.

Though I have Zeiss abbe Konig lensed roof prisms and love them, I might lean toward the Swarovski porro habicht if I had to live with only one pair. They are light and stellar optics, just not the roof prisms most folks seem to prefer these days.

Hi,

Agree about the saying "cry once and buy the best you can", or so...
Leica, Swarovski, Zeiss. In alphabetical order. I must include, no doubt about that, the top of the line Meoptas.
And also agree about 10x40/42 as an only one all around binocular.
I have had all of them. Ended, from my own reasons and experiencies, with a last vertion made in 2019 porro Swarovski Habicht 10x40 WGA, the rubber coated vertion, and a 8x32 Meopta Meostar.
I am looking very seriously, almost decided to buy, a Leica Ultravid 8x20. Perhaps the best ultralight pocket binocular.
Good luck!

CF

I had the same experience. I ended up with the 10x42 SLC’s and have been very happy with them. I just bought the 15x56 SLC’s from Mark (thanks again Mark), but I’m in England and haven’t seen them yet. By the way, Mark (R&M Firearms) is great to deal with and is really taking care of AH members.

Thanks for the kind words and trusting us with your purchase.

By the way, the Swarovski SLC 10x42 is another favorite!!!
After the introduction of the NL Pure, the SLC is marketed by KAHLES, a sister Swarovski compay, THE SAME BINOCULAR, as a Kahles Helia S. The SAME with other dressing.
Good luck!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-08-08 at 1.53.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-08 at 1.53.28 PM.png
    328.9 KB · Views: 43
  • Screen Shot 2022-08-08 at 1.53.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-08 at 1.53.29 PM.png
    358.4 KB · Views: 45
  • Screen Shot 2022-08-08 at 1.53.31 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-08 at 1.53.31 PM.png
    629.1 KB · Views: 44
By the way, in Europe, Swarovski are still offering only the bigger SLC, with Abbe-König, the 8x56, 10x56 and 15x56. More specialized night binoculars and long range, respectively.

10x30,....If I was going to buy a pair right now it would be Leica Ultravid , or Zeiss Victory. I have Zeiss Victory 10x42, and they work for everything. I like the idea of pocket binos, but I think you would find shortcomings for anything other than big game in africa.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marinaabu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.