THE KING

There can only be one king. One leader. One ruler of them all.
He must be versatile. Must be able to handle all situations in a pinch. Must be able to do the work of a bigger man, and have the finesse to do a lesser man's job as well. He will often have to defend his title against newcomers, but his confidence will not allow him to bow to any man or any thing. He is the ruler of the roost, and has been since 1912. His thrown is secure. He will not be unseated anytime soon.

While my opening lines may seem of a human nature, what we are really discussing here is THE tool of the trade. THE rifle for most anything, anytime, anywhere in Africa, and much of the world. Not perfect for every endeavor, but quite capable for most, if not all things that need a healthy dose of lead.
All hail the KING! I present you, the 375 Holland and Holland Magnum.

Once upon a time there were real men. Real men that hunted large, dangerous game, in a land filled with Ebony and Ivory. Black death around every corner, with the constitution to make a puddle of flesh out of any puny human.

For years the playing field was surprisingly even. Men walked in fear for their lives in these wild lands. Fear of being trampled, gored, bitten or mauled, lurked in the minds of every man. Until one day.....a wonderful thing came into existence. Gunpowder was to be the great equalizer. For it would not only even the playing field between men themselves, it would also allow us our assent to the top of the food chain.

Black powder was the father, and smokeless was the son. A son that by all measures would change the world forever. Would allow men to create weapons capable of amazing range, power and penetration.

What was once known as small bore rifles had now become large bore, due to the advancement of full patch ammo, that was capable of penetrating the skull of a bull Elephant at any angle. With this development, the old 2 Bore and 4 Bore rifles were made obsolete.

Years passed, and men were still slaying the largest of beasts with 45 and 50 caliber rifles. Some double and some magazine fed. But there were times when a more all around approach was needed. A time when a man needed meat for the pot, yet had to wade by a host of unfriendly things to get there. The medium rifle was the answer.

Several attempts at perfection were attempted, until one day the KING was born. For that one day in 1912 was to be an event that would forever change the world of big game hunting. The KING could make quick work of a 300 yard Impala, and could fend off an angry Rhino on the way back to camp. And all of this was accomplished with the very questionable bullets of the time. Solids were the name of the game for large beasts, and soft nosed bullets handled the rest. Even in it's humble beginnings, the KING was praised.

More years passed, and hunting took a turn for the worse, while hunting equipment took the opposite turn. Modern gun powder became temperature insensitive. Soft nosed bullets became quite capable of penetration never known before. And like the smokless powder cartridges from the turn of the century eclipsed the black powder dragons of the past, modern ammo made the medium bores behave much like their big brothers had before. All the while, being capable of covering vast expanses of land to bag a distant Springbuck in Africa or Antelope in the USA. In a sense, at least for the visiting hunter, the KING became the yardstick that all others would aspire to. THE do it all, anytime, anywhere cartridge.

With 235 or 250 grain bullets, it can be made to behave much like a 300 Win Mag. A nearly perfect Elk or Kudu rifle.

Move on to 270 grain TSX or Swift bullets, and now you begin to enter the dual purpose aspect of the KING. While these lighter bullets may not be the perfect answer for larger dangerous game, they will offer comfort in Lion country, while tracking your Gemsbuck on the open plains of the Kalahari. They will offer good ranging capabilities, and enough muscle to kill a Cape Buffalo or Eland in a pinch.

Now we enter the true domain of the KING. After all....the 300 grain bullet is what made the KING..... The KING.
Swift A Frame, Barnes TSX, Northfork and a few others are built for speed AND penetration. Now we enter the realm of true buffalo performance. Now we are holding a rifle fully capable of tackling an enraged bull Hippo at spitting distance, or a heart shot on a 12,000 lb Elephant. A load that will penetrate the boss of the biggest bull Cape Buffalo, while only blasting a reasonably small hole in your Dik Dik on the way back to camp.

Moving on up to 340 to 380 Grain projectiles, we move the KING into 400 caliber territory. We abandon some of it's versatility in trade for raw power. Now we are truly holding a Danger Game Rifle. Not a one trick pony, but a much more specialized tool. A tool that will seldom need to be bested by a larger caliber arm.

Although there are better tools for many hunting jobs, there are few jobs that can't be handled by The KING.
A PH may need more power in certain situations. Certainly a stopping rifle needs to begin with a 4 and work up from there. But for pure versatility, and usefulness on animals large and small... the 375 H&H is still KING.

LONG LIVE THE KING.
@TOBY458
After reading your glowing accolades of the 375 you may have to change to TOBY 375. It is obvious you like the cartridge more than I like the Whelen.
A very well written and compelling argument why we should have a 375.
Dang for a brief (extremely brief a bout a second) you almost made me want to sell the Whelen and get a 375, but nah not yet.
Bob

@TOBY458
After reading your glowing accolades of the 375 you may have to change to TOBY 375. It is obvious you like the cartridge more than I like the Whelen.
A very well written and compelling argument why we should have a 375.
Dang for a brief (extremely brief a bout a second) you almost made me want to sell the Whelen and get a 375, but nah not yet.
Bob
Robert375 has a ring to it! Hahaha!

The .375 Holland & Holland Magnum isn't a King . It's a God . Said it before and I'll say it again . A 12 Gauge , a .30-06 Springfield and a .375 Holland & Holland Magnum is all you need to hunt everything that Africa has to offer .

A BRNO ZKK602 ( preferably an early model with the folding diopter ) is my favorite .375 Holland & Holland Magnum . Federal 300 Gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claws are my favorite soft points . And Nosler 300 Gr Safari monolithics are my favorite solids .

Screenshot_20210714-051422_01_01.jpg
Screenshot_20210714-051534_01.jpg
Screenshot_20210714-050453_01_01.jpg
Screenshot_20210714-050519_01_01.jpg
Defassa.jpg
Greater Kudu 1.jpg
Greater Kudu 2.jpg
Hippo.jpg
Sable 1.jpg
Spotted Hyena.jpg
Buff 2.jpg
Zebra.jpg
B uff 4.jpg
Buff 1.jpg
Buff 3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Every King is usurped by the following King,
hence the 416Rigby...

Does all the previous King could, but only better...

:A Banana::A Stirring:
Nah. Can't do anything the KING can't do just as well. A Johnny Come Lately second fiddle.

"They must be the longest first two posts on any thread I have seen..."

Indeed, and for what? Same old same old BS.

Figured that your handle is "crs" so we thought we would help you remember sh*t. ;)

@crs it's a forum which is for sure an ancient Roman word for a bull$#¡++3®¥ where men come to drone on and stretch and be measured. You should see the Kool aid breweries surrounding the .35, .404 and R8.

BM and Forrest:
I have seen them over and over and keep looking for something that I have not done, heard, or read before. Maybe just old-age- grumpies here. But to be polite, In future, I will try to avoid reading "stuff" that is not new to me.

BM,
The CRS are my initials and my email address for 20+ years at the company from which I just retired.
MMMm -- my wife just gave me a bottle of "memory pills" because I CRS.

Last edited:
BM and Forrest:
I have seen them over and over and keep looking for something that I have not done, heard, or read before. Maybe just old-age- grumpies here. But to be polite, In future, I will try to avoid reading "stuff" that is not new to me.

BM,
The CRS are my initials and my email address for 20+ years at the company from which I just retired.
Good luck reading something with subject matter that's never been touched upon. There's nothing new under the sun.

Now that I have Elephant on the menu for 2022, I wonder if the King is up to the task with 300gr Cutting Edge solids? Or should I bring in a 416 or 458 with the same bullets? At least I have a year to contemplate!
Or a good 350gr bullet for elephant

Kynoch ammo from a distant past...1920´s...?

Kynoch.jpeg

BM and Forrest:

BM,
We can all be a little grumpy sometimes. I was just making light of the situation (and your initials too), hope you didn't take offense. Good luck with the CRS pills, I have some of my own as well. :LOL:

On another note, you should give the Blaser R8 an honest try. At least at DSC or (even better) do some live fire shooting with a friend who has one. It could change the way you perceive them. Or not...

Wait? What?? I thought the .243 was king... pretty sure I saw that somewhere on this site. :ROFLMAO:

I do not own a .375. I'd like to someday. That said, kings and even earthly gods fade away, irrespective of how devoted their followings may have one time been. :unsure: ;)

BM,
I have nothing against the Blasers, I just do not care about any more rifles than I already have . I have spent time and money tuning them and they all shoot like an extension of me. Same for my Parker shotguns- been shooting them since a teenager and find it difficult to miss with them. There have been some amazing days in the bird fields with them too, like the day and a half in Kansas when I shot 35+ Pheasant over dogs- could not miss. 50+ yard going away shots with my 20 gauge. Most days with my better rifles are the same- like old friends and family.

@crs it's a forum which is for sure an ancient Roman word for a bull$#¡++3®¥ where men come to drone on and stretch and be measured. You should see the Kool aid breweries surrounding the .35, .404 and R8.
@Forrest Halley
Kool aid breweries you cheeky little shit. As good as the 375 is there are others out there. They may not have the history or class as it but they get the job done that the hunter requires. The 350 Rigby with heavey for caliber as well as the 318 and 404 were considered top notch classics that are now seeing a minor resurgence in popularity. Hunting closures killed thes cartridges not lack of performance.
Maybe you need some kool aid instead of shot you are drinking.
Ha ha ha ha
Bob.

BM and Forrest:
Charles,
You have not miffed my precious sensibilities over here. I was merely providing you with other avenues to entertain us. I thoroughly enjoy your ingenuity and replication of the status quo via alternative chamberings. Do carry on.

@Forrest Halley
Kool aid breweries you cheeky little shit. As good as the 375 is there are others out there. They may not have the history or class as it but they get the job done that the hunter requires. The 350 Rigby with heavey for caliber as well as the 318 and 404 were considered top notch classics that are now seeing a minor resurgence in popularity. Hunting closures killed thes cartridges not lack of performance.
Maybe you need some kool aid instead of shot you are drinking.
Ha ha ha ha
Bob.
Oh my dearest Turdy-Phive Robberts,
It is my sincere pleasure to have my wit acknowledged by such an esteemed deviant such as yourself. Thank you for continuing to champion the redheaded stepchild of the one true savior of the British Empire: The .30-06.

Rule Britannia! Britannia rules the knaves! As long as the Yanks have .30-06's we never, ever, will be slaves!

Correct, there are others out there. This why I have a .458 Lott; which therein lies a whole other debate.

Last edited:
Or a good 350gr bullet for elephant
How do you rate the Woodleigh 350 gr steel jacketed solid? I don't know of any mono metal solid available in 350 gr in the USA. Also a mono metal solid in 350gr would be mighty long and possibly hard to stabilize in a standard twist rate, at H&H velocities, no?

The Woodleighs are good. Meplat solids are better. The 340gr Rhino monometal we get here stabilises no problem.
The heavier bullets also bring down the speed which is not a bad thing with elephant and the 375

The Woodleighs are good. Meplat solids are better. The 340gr Rhino monometal we get here stabilises no problem.
The heavier bullets also bring down the speed which is not a bad thing with elephant and the 375
I just wish NF had stayed in the USA. I believe they made a good mono solid above 300 gr. Everyone else here seems to stop at 300 gr.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaFitzgi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross