Boyd Brooks

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Member of
OFAH, North American Hunt Club
Hunted
Canada, RSA
November 10, 1975 the loss of the Edmund Fitzgerald and all 29 Souls aboard.
IMG_9897.jpeg

After yesterday’s foul weather moved through Ontario, I was thinking out on my deer watch, it was very close to that fateful day 48 years ago. It will be forever immortalized in song by another Canadian legend Gordon Lightfoot.

I was but a child but remember seeing it in the news. The Gordon Lightfoot song always brings up some crazy emotions in me. Maybe because I’m a Navy man, but it just gets me.

I was but a child but remember seeing it in the news. The Gordon Lightfoot song always brings up some crazy emotions in me. Maybe because I’m a Navy man, but it just gets me.
Yes the chilling words, give me goose bumps and shivers. I have boated Superior when I lived in Thunder Bay and spent lots of time around the lake working all the way to the Sault. It can be a powerful beast.

One of of the greats. We saw him in concert at Wolf Trap outside Washington DC in the early 2000's. He was in his early seventies then and commented that he was still doing 150 shows a year. I will bear witness that he could still put on a great one. He died just last May after an incredible career.

I like this video with actual footage and the radio calls.
I was in grade school so I don't remember much about when it actually happened, but the song gets played by me every November.

I remember them bringing the bell up in 95, having a ceremony and ringing it 29 times, once for each sailor, then returning a replica to the wreck... You can see it before being recovered at 4:27 to 4:39 in the video.

Last edited:
They still do the memorial at split Rick light house, the ringing of the bells should be tonight. The weather is proper, windy with light snow getting worse once sun falls down.

I was born in Terrace Bay Ontario on the north shore of Lake Superior. We fished in in a 16 foot skiff sometimes to the Slate Islands which were 17 miles off shore
Although storms could come up quickly our two biggest dangers were fog, which could roll in quickly , and runaway pulp logs that would take out a lower unit of an outboard.
One time we had 8 foot rollers on the way back from the Hydro station. Those waves turned the minutes to hours.
The worst was off Cape Victoria where the waves would bounce back from a sheer granite cliff and come at you from two directions.

I was actually outside the Maritime Sailor’s Cathedral when that bell rang 29 times. Not something you’ll soon forget.

I heard Lightfoot in concert a few times. As stated above, one of the true greats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
divydestination1

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?