The Dangerous Game Designation

i'm not an expert, but would say that it's an animal that when you invade their body space too closely, it has a propensity to "hunt you right back" and do considerable damage in the process.

Last edited:
Shotgun? Nope just had a 22 rifle and managed to put the bullet below the head at about 2 paces. Was however a moment that I was thinking of running, but I have never been good at backing down.

Fortunately had a handgun with when the blesbuck charged so I finished him off really close. The Nyala took a shot to the head at 4 paces, not easy with a hand held torch and a rifle.
Bushbuck was drawn off his charge by the dog and gave me enough time to put a bullet in him.

Snakes are DG, the only animal who charged me was a Cape Cobra.

Great thread.

I think that the common theme is EVEN IF on our terms with rifle in hand a croc isn't "dangerous" compared to the remaining dangerous 7, having it in the back of your mind at every moment is what keeps you alive. On the Zambezi I was fishing after a hunt and watched a croc trying in earnest to locate himself for a pounce on our hostess fishing from the bank. She is born and bread Zimbabwean so she was constantly aware of the fact she was being hunted and that is the difference between a benign croc nuisance and being dead.

As for the blesbuck, Erik appears to be just barely holding his own until you can clearly see Fred's one horn go between his legs and then the camera shows the air under Erik's feet as they come off the ground... And it is all over.... Fred clearly won the day. ;)

I've seen the video too.

If Fred didn't have a tennis ball on that horn we would be call Gizmo Erika now.

:A Banana Sad:

I need to see this video. Is it online that you can link to?

Count me in too.

A very informative thread.

The score board as I understand is: Erik, 0. Fred, 1:LOL:

I was looking for most appropriate thread to make this post, and this one seams like it, so i will try to revive it.

Canned lion hunt?
Can a lion bred in captivity be considered as real DG?
Are they in fact a tame cats, or when threatened they will charge?

In my opinion - yes, but I am not expert.
What would more experienced hunters and PH's say? Has there been any record of canned lion charge?

A wild animal of the DG stripe is still a DG, whether raised in captivity or not. Ask Seigfreid and Roy.

Thanks Hogpatrol, but in the meantime could you shed some more light about Siegfried and Roy?What happened, are they casualties of mauling? Never heard of them, so sorry for asking more details.
Thanks!

This allignes with my opinion on defintion of DG.
Was there any mauling on the record during the canned hunt? I heard the story sometimes animals are drugged?

I was looking for most appropriate thread to make this post, and this one seams like it, so i will try to revive it.

Canned lion hunt?
Can a lion bred in captivity be considered as real DG?
Are they in fact a tame cats, or when threatened they will charge?

In my opinion - yes, but I am not expert.
What would more experienced hunters and PH's say? Has there been any record of canned lion charge?

1. OK, skip the derogatory media term "canned".
2. Head on to a property and try and give one of those Captive Bred Lions (CBL) a hug. You'll find out just how tame they are. Please forward a copy of the video to http://www.darwinawards.com/
3. There are plenty of documented cases of Lion charges from CBL. Have a look at Youtube.
To get your fill, Google Search: Lion Charge

I for one am not in favour of behind wire hunts FOR MYSELF. They do, however, provide a breeding stock of various DG animals and can be arguable more dangerous. Take any of the DG animals out of a pen (ie an area so constricted you can see it from the get go/nowhere to hide put it any place it can hide and maneuver) and you can be charged, mauled killed. Simple arithmetic I would think. Prey + meal = Prey shit or Prey + antagonist = red smear on ground.

Being a Top predator I can see croc in there, hippo a large Herbivore which could potentially display aggressive behavioral patterns ... Unlike Giraffe and definitely more so than wildebeest..

I believe they were classed by our founding hunters by the sheer danger involved when hunting such species and finding one self in a less desirable position.

Yes bushbuck can be tricky but most definitely not more so than most dangerous game when wounded or un wounded for that matter.

Interesting thread.

My best always
I think most animals will be dangerous in a situation where they cant escape and animal you wounded is always dangerous, never aproach a animal in the front of it, thats because if they attack you or try to escape they will jump forward, and you will be in theyr way.
A animal has not reverse, only trucks has reverse, so approach from behind, if you are not sure the animal is dead, shoot it again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg