The American Sportsman TV Show

DobeGrant45c

AH member
Reaction score
Hey folks,

I’m currently trying to track down any recordings that may exist of the original American Sportsman television show (1965 - 1986). There are a couple episodes on YouTube but sadly there are a lot of episodes that are simply impossible to find online.

If anyone can help I’d definitely appreciate it!

I remember watching that show every Sunday afternoon.

Good luck on your search

I remember Curt Gowdy, Phil Harris and Bing Crosby hunting birds on one segment. Another one with William Shatner bowhunting for elk. He didn't get one.

How about The Wild Kingdom? Marlin Perkins calmly narrating into the camera while Jim risked his life to capture some wild beast.

Two of Marlin's classic lines were, "Careful Jim", followed by "Jim's in trouble now".

That's where I learned to say, "No shit - really?"

I remember watching that show every Sunday afternoon.

Good luck on your search
Great childhood memories, I believe the American Sportsman and Wild Kingdom are what sparked me to seek adventures in the outdoors. Those were some great hosts back in the day.

Every Sunday all of our hunting friends would get together for darts, beer, popcorn and the American Sportsman the early years were the best.

Lon

The really big Sunday was when the gangs annual Herters order came in & the American Sportsman.

Yep! And we didn't know or care about their Political leanings. No Liberal Agenda being pushed down our throats.
I'm usually seeing quite the opposite political agenda pushed down our throats on outdoors shows.

Since both shows were on ABC I believe, can you imagine them putting one of them back on TV.

Ah yes, Herters. Everything they sold was "world famous Belgian ..." :D
I feel sorry for anyone that has not sit on a toilet and read a herters catalogue.

Lon

Did anyone else hear that Boddington has bought all of the remaining original tapes of the series?

Curt Gowdy! From right here in Wyoming! Watched the show religiously when I was a kid.

How about The Wild Kingdom? Marlin Perkins calmly narrating into the camera while Jim risked his life to capture some wild beast.

Two of Marlin's classic lines were, "Careful Jim", followed by "Jim's in trouble now".

That's where I learned to say, "No shit - really?"
"The mother zebra protects her young ones with stripes. You can protect your family with Mutual of Omaha."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
psychicshakurk

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.