The 460 G & A

But what about the 475 A&M? Quote from Wikipedia .


The .475 A&M Magnum is a rifle cartridge developed in the United States. At the time of its development it was considered the most powerful sporting rifle cartridge ever developed.[1] However, as the .475 A&M Magnum was a wildcat cartridge, the .460 Weatherby Magnum continued to be the most powerful commercial sporting cartridge available.

The cartridge and rifle were designed by the Atkinson & Marquart Rifle Co. of Prescott, Arizona, by necking up the then new .460 Weatherby Magnum to accept a .475 in (12.1 mm) diameter bullet. Fred N. Barnes, the founder of Barnes Bullets for whom the first rifle chambered for this cartridge was made, supplied the bullets. According to anecdotes, Fred Barnes gathered a group of people to demonstrate the rifle. The rifle was fired at the base of a small tree which was uprooted while Fred Barnes who had been shooting from a crouched position on a gravel bed had slid a few feet and ended on his back due to the recoil.[1]
 
460 Guns & Ammo for the knockout win!!! Brevex magnum Mauser action:)

EJ
460 #2.jpg
460 #3.jpg
460 #4.jpg
460 #5.jpg
460 #6.jpg
460 #7.jpg
 
Very nice where is the trigger?
 
Look again you will see it. The contour matches the trigger guard and it shaped for a right handed shooter. A true custom fit for LOP and finger contour.

EJ
Wow, never seen a trigger like that, very nice!!!
 
The.458 RUM described is essentially the 460 G&A because the RUM case is basically a slightly (very small rim and head dimension increase) modified 404 Jeffery case, as is the 460 G&A.

BTW one of the significant advantages of the 460 G&A is that it fits in standard long action bolt rifle. This is different than the 450 Rigby which requires a true magnum action. Case in point, my 460 G&A was built by Gene Simillion on a Winchester M-70 Classic CRF with a magazine box he built which takes 4 cartridges +1 in the chamber.

In contrast my 450 Rigby Rimless is a rebored Ruger RSM. It’s an excellent DGR with magazine capacity of 3 +1 in the chamber.

Both are excellent choices which easily produce 2400 FPS MV without powder compression, with 500 grain monolithic solids, from a 23” barrel on each rifle. Take your pick because either will do the job IME when elephants are on quota.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
 
Last edited:
I had not considered a .458 RUM. That is prob a lot easier to do and easier to get brass. I still want a 9.3 RUM or a 9.3 Nosler.
 
I had not considered a .458 RUM. That is prob a lot easier to do and easier to get brass. I still want a 9.3 RUM or a 9.3 Nosler.
Glenn I know this is a year or more old...but I am currently in the process to get a chamber reamer made for me in a 9.3x70 caliber if you are interested in such a caliber I will send you some info...I am currently looking for 404 virgin brass /the 404 case without the completed form to the .423 " part..a case straight wall 3" inch length ...
 
Great cartridge design! If the 404 cases were more common would be the almost perfect 458! Of course the Remington long Ultra Magnums could be used...Much better than the 458 Lott. But this latter one allows to use the 458 Win if needed. An advantage without question.
 
Great cartridge design! If the 404 cases were more common would be the almost perfect 458! Of course the Remington long Ultra Magnums could be used...Much better than the 458 Lott. But this latter one allows to use the 458 Win if needed. An advantage without question.
The .458 African caliber being the best option
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,373
Messages
1,574,428
Members
170,039
Latest member
XMG8195830
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top