The 243 Winchester for Australian Game

I wish our rabbits would come back. Three years ago we saw the population declining & last year all we saw were a few tracks. Our cottontails are good eating.
l keep hearing from people that there is a decline in rabbit numbers in my area but l dont see it as they are still around in pockets even after poisoning in summer, in some areas the poisons do not work anymore and the rabbits are prolific, here is a photo from my Pard 007 from a few weeks ago, l only took 1 photo but if l had panned it was the same all over a 5 acre block
and l agree rabbits do make a good feed, my family's favourite is Kentucky fried rabbit

b49ZNRt.jpg

anyway back to the 243 for Australian game discussion

Last edited by a moderator:
I am all in with Bob on the 243. So much so I traded a 243 for a 250-3000 Ruger RSI. Never was happy or comfortable with 243 on any big game animals although it is a very fine varmint and gopher cartridge.

I am all in with Bob on the 243. So much so I traded a 243 for a 250-3000 Ruger RSI. Never was happy or comfortable with 243 on any big game animals although it is a very fine varmint and gopher cartridge.
@MS 9x56
Welcome to the 25 club you won't be disappointed in the Savage. The 75gn VMAX is fine for little game, 100gn for bigger and the 115-117gn fine for deer especially the 117grain SST. Load it to its potential and have fun.
Bob

@MS 9x56
Welcome to the 25 club you won't be disappointed in the Savage. The 75gn VMAX is fine for little game, 100gn for bigger and the 115-117gn fine for deer especially the 117grain SST. Load it to its potential and have fun.
Bob
Currently using Hornady 117 grain round nose bullets for deer and hogs. Haven't recovered one yet so they make me happy. Good short blood trails leading to dead critters.

Currently using Hornady 117 grain round nose bullets for deer and hogs. Haven't recovered one yet so they make me happy. Good short blood trails leading to dead critters.
@MS 9x56
An underrated cartridge is the 250 Savage. In Australia we had the 25/303 that the equivalent to it in the No1 action but they stuffed up and gave it a 1 in 12 twist that would only handle the 100gn. Even so I shot a truck load of game with it.
The beauty of the little Savage is you don't need expensive bonded bullets the old cup and core do just fine.
Bob

Lets Have Sane discussion about the iconic 243 Winchester & its suitability for hunting game in Australia & other countries with similar sized game. The 243 will handle bullets from 60 grain to 100 grain, is low recoil, so its easy to shoot, is available in a lot of different brand rifles most have a 1-10 twist , Ammo is readily available, its suitable for hunting feral cats, dogs, dingoes, goats, Kangaroos & small deer & with 100 grain bullets wild pigs, its a good caliber
for lady hunters due to its low recoil. For a long range target rifle with 1- 7 twist barrel with 110 grain low drag bullets wins competitions, I have one my sons have i each . But for big pigs its marginal that gives you a reason to have more rifles.
Perfectly placed 243 bullets usually work. I far prefer a 7 -08 very low recoil and much more killing power. I have loaded 140 grain accubonds at 2500fps that worked great on deer and hogs.

@MS 9x56
An underrated cartridge is the 250 Savage. In Australia we had the 25/303 that the equivalent to it in the No1 action but they stuffed up and gave it a 1 in 12 twist that would only handle the 100gn. Even so I shot a truck load of game with it.
The beauty of the little Savage is you don't need expensive bonded bullets the old cup and core do just fine.
Bob
I like the performance of the round nose bullets much better as it has a much more dramatic effect on game quite often knocking them down on a shoulder shoulder shot. No need for premium bullets here.Had a buck partially obscured in brush facing head on. I shot him in the white throat patch and he just flag disappeared. Walked to where he had Benn standing and there he lay. No kicking running or thrashing just down and dead. Try that with a 243.

I like the performance of the round nose bullets much better as it has a much more dramatic effect on game quite often knocking them down on a shoulder shoulder shot. No need for premium bullets here.Had a buck partially obscured in brush facing head on. I shot him in the white throat patch and he just flag disappeared. Walked to where he had Benn standing and there he lay. No kicking running or thrashing just down and dead. Try that with a 243.
I wish I knew how to post videos on here. My father has more instant drt kills with his .243 than I have with my .308 and 7mm RM.

Finally got to go hunting with a fellow member @Peterwho.even tho we didn't get to shoot anything because the winds kept changing. Between my son, Pete and myself we spotted 16 dear. Peter and I spotted a mob of 3 about 200 yards out. Ideal wind in our face. Just as we were about to take the rifles off our shoulder the wind swung 180 degrees on to our back. We were seated and off they went and joined another 3 that we hadn't seen.
Great time was had by us but @Peterwho didn't see the funny side of my humour. When we organised the hunt Peter told me what he would be using so I asked him to bring a couple of slices of bread with him. This he did. When we got to the farm and set our weapons up I asked Peter for the bread and some string. It was to early for breakfast and I was asked why I wanted both the bread and string. I told him the string was to tie the bread to the end of the barrel as it would be easier to get the dear close enough for his rifle of choice.
He didn't see the funny side but took it in good humour.
If you haven't figured it out yet Peter had bought a left hand Remington 700 in 243.
It gave me heaps of ammo for shit stirring over the weekend.
Peter is a great bloke to hunt with and very knowledgeable on a variety of subjects. He did have a shot of my 25 but said it was a noisy bastard compared to his 243. I didn't have the heart to tell him a good fart is noisier that the 243 and better for you.
I'm looking forward to further hunts with this great bloke.
Bob
20220703_083930.jpg

Peter scanning the bush for deer. One good thing about his rifle is the 8x56 Schmidt and Bender scope.
I'm trying to convince him to rebarrel to 250 Savage but at the moment it is falling on deaf ears.
Thanks for a great weekend Peter.

Bob, you have a warped sense of humour.

Bringing your handbag along when we went for coffee shows that.

IMG_20220424_114433.jpg

Bob, you have a warped sense of humour.

Bringing your handbag along when we went for coffee shows that.

View attachment 474554
@CBH Australia
You shit stirrer. You know that's my wifes handbag that I was watching for you. At least I didn't have to get changed to see you. Your darling wife told me you change out of your tutu and ballet slippers before we met so I wouldn't crack up laughing. I told her he could have left the kit on as he would have been easier to recognise. Apparently you only wear that outfit in private.
Bob

@CBH Australia
You shit stirrer. You know that's my wifes handbag that I was watching for you. At least I didn't have to get changed to see you. Your darling wife told me you change out of your tutu and ballet slippers before we met so I wouldn't crack up laughing. I told her he could have left the kit on as he would have been easier to recognise. Apparently you only wear that outfit in private.
Bob
Shit Bob, i have heard that's the wifes hand bag story before !

I wouldn' even think to much about a bloke wearing a purple shirt but the Purple phone case is a conscious choice.

Says he hates , 6mm/.243 Nosler 95gn Ballistic tip projectiles, You know the ones with the Purple tip. I think he might be in denial about the Nosler preference:s.

I dare not let him handle my wife's Weatherby GH2 with the Purple webbing on the stock Bob might come out about his appreciation of the .243.

@rdog
I know it wasn't mine as it was the wrong colour and would have clashed with my thongs. Everyone knows you have to match the handbag to the shoes so it couldn't be mine.
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
Bob

Clearly not disabled as he does not hunt with a .243!:D:A Stirring:
@ZG47
If I only had a 243 to hunt with and God forbid that ever happened I would have to stick with sabre tooth field mice as my biggest game and maybe stretch it out to rabbit size game. Either that or stick to paper punching

Thanks go to Bob for a great weekend. Plenty of deer to see but as reported by Bob very variable winds. We manage to avoid all the heavy rains and walk 20 odd ks over 3 sessions. I look forward to the next hunt. Might bring more bread or a handbag
And a bottle of Bundy! LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leonslab

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.