The 243 Winchester for Australian Game

The 6.5 Grendel story in about 2009 when the 6.5 Grendel appeared i decided to re barrel my Ruger 77 mk11 7.62x39 to the 6.5 Grendel you could not buy brass or ammo at the time ,
IMG_20220403_0001.jpg
082.JPG
077.jpg
6.5 Grendel8.gif
so i formed some out of new Lapua 7.62x39 brass, ordered a Pacnor 1-7 twist barrel a reamer & head space gauge & Alan
Swan did the job, its accurate mild to shoot loves 100 grain Nosler BT & Hornady 123g factory
IMG_20220403_0002.jpg
IMG_20220403_0001.jpg

This has become an interesting and entertaining thread. Who knew the 243 was so interesting yet controversial? :D

My first rifle was a Remington .243. After letting it sit in the safe for over 40 years, I killed this pair within minutes of each other in 2020. I used Barnes 80gr TTSX factory ammo. One shot each to the shoulder, bullet exited and both deer did the short "death sprint". I gave the rifle to my niece at this past DSC Convention. Because after all, it is a girl's cartridge. :LOL::LOL::LOL:

2fer w 243.JPG

@Marcos Rodriguez
Marcos the 270 is another cartridge that benefited from some one praising the hell out of it. Les Bowman I think it was sung it's praise loud and long (a bit like me with the Whelen but the Whelen is actually a good cartridge) and wrote for field and stream. Everyone believed his hype like they did with Winchester and the 243 and whoever markets the manbun.
Feed people enough bullshit for long enough by someone popular and people believe it.
The 270 is another cartridge I'm not overly fond of despite the fact it is a pretty good round and I have used it on game from rabbit to sambar deer. I think if the 280 came out first with the advertisement it would be where the 270 is now but alas it ain't.
Bob
AMAZING!!!!
How I would like posts like this to be coldly read and analyzed by my Argentine colleagues!... Here there are worshipers of 270 and 243 who despise their "dads" 3006 and 308 and sometimes denigrate those who use the "veterans" good and reliable for their fanaticism for small and fast
Thanks alot!

AMAZING!!!!
How I would like posts like this to be coldly read and analyzed by my Argentine colleagues!... Here there are worshipers of 270 and 243 who despise their "dads" 3006 and 308 and sometimes denigrate those who use the "veterans" good and reliable for their fanaticism for small and fast
Thanks alot!
Sounds a bit like the young fella who posted something about the 6.5 outdoing all of the geriatric .30's.
I think they all have their place and sometimes you need that heavy hitter.

Sounds a bit like the young fella who posted something about the 6.5 outdoing all of the geriatric .30's.
I think they all have their place and sometimes you need that heavy hitter.
Yes, in fact, many people like the slighter bullets even in the 308... 150 gn in example!
I use everything i can buy in tthis matter, but, for the big boars, the heavier shots, are the best!...
So, acttually I use 185-195 gn bullets

@rookhawk
The reason I hang so much shit on the 243 is because so many muppets use the wrong bullet in it for the game hunted and have failures that I have had to clean up and they won't listen to reason. Plus it can't live up to winchesters advertising hype.
With the RIGHT projectiles it would be a reasonable cartridge within its capabilities problem is so many pick the wrong one and that gives it a bad rap.
An 85gn Barnes TTSX, 95gn SST or a good 100gn round nose it is a different story.
My thoughts are we still have a incorrect bullet use problem, not a caliber problem! If I used a 235gr Speer at 2900fps in my .375 on elk, we'd have a poor bullet choice problem not caliber problem.

My thoughts are we still have a incorrect bullet use problem, not a caliber problem! If I used a 235gr Speer at 2900fps in my .375 on elk, we'd have a poor bullet choice problem not caliber problem.
of coarse you would not use a frangible bullet to shoot pigs and not expect blow ups eg.... vmax bullets
l do not think it has to do with size of projectile as a well placed smaller bullet will kill
is it a good idea, no but it can be done, there is a big difference between hunting and shooting as well IMHO

I had read where Australia was once over run by rabbits. I firmly believe with the proper application of 70 grain 243 rounds the last of these pests could be eradicated. I am sure Bob would concur.
@MS 9x56
When we had a rabbit plague the 243 wasn't even thought of. Myxamatosis sorted them out, now we have the calici virus to control them.
In a lot of areas rabbit are very thin on the ground and you are hard press to find any.

I had read where Australia was once over run by rabbits. I firmly believe with the proper application of 70 grain 243 rounds the last of these pests could be eradicated. I am sure Bob would concur.

222 223 or 22/250 excellent for sniping rabbits

17 calibers great for rabbits too
Mind you I have shot rabbits w a 270 using lead alloy (home made) bullets

The rabbits were long ago, now we are overrun by stupid left wing politicians, a man made virus controlled the rabbits, shame it does not work on the fools in Canberra. Bob thinks you need at least a .35 for the remaining rabbits, as the are very tough now as the have mutated in to monsters they just laugh at 22s & 243s.

Last edited:
a photo of the normal rabbit with a mutated monster at the right bottom the cat is just a sleep all fell victim to a 17 HMR

View attachment 462352
The bottom one in your photo looks like the larger (than cottontails) jack rabbits we have here?

Last edited by a moderator:
The bottom one in your photo looks like the larger (than cottontails) jack rabbits we have here?
Yes, we call them hares, they do not borough like a rabbit & live in hollow logs & long grass. the virus for the rabbits does not effect them.

The rabbits were long ago, now we are overrun by stupid left wing politicians, a man made virus controlled the rabbits, shame it does not work on the fools in Canberra. Bob thinks you need at least a .35 for the remaining rabbits, as the are very tough now as the have mutated in to monsters they just laugh at 22s & 243s.

That’s for sure - left wingers

Ha lol
Come back on that one Bob!!

good reply rdog LOL
l am guilty of practicing for the longer shots on rabbits for the pot with my 6mm dasher

kJNp0IN.jpg

but l do like sitting back and dropping some rabbits with my 17ackley hornet

rF4XY8T.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArtLuse26

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you