Thanks for the information

Ray B

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Recently there was a posting about the problem of cartridges in the magazine that would pop out of the magazine rather than staying secure until the bolt pushed it into the chamber. I tried the search but didn't find the thread, primarily because I couldn't recall enough of the title for an accurate search. On that thread I noted that I had a Springfield that recently had a similar problem- the last cartridge (or the first depending on how you view it)- the cartridge that when it is removed leaves an empty magazine, would pop-up, sometimes flipping so that it sat backwards on the follower or going completely out of the rifle. The rails had not been modified, the follower was same as when there was no problem and the rifle was chambered with original barrel. The advice of the responders was that the spring had weakened and needed to be replaced. I ordered a new spring from Numrich and received it today. I swapped out the springs and tested by loading and cycling a few full magazines. No hint of a problem, so appears the problem is solved.

One thing that is courteous- comparing the springs, the old one has a relaxed spread about an inch wider than the new one, so intuitively the old one would have more compression than the new- but appears that despite the shorter amount of movement, the newer spring is stronger than the older.

Thanks again to all who responded. I can now resume hunting, confident that the rifle will perform as designed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OmaMcGill

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg