Tech and hunting gear

I'm old school, I take note of landmarks and drainage's in the area and while I have a GPS I mostly use it if I am in a area that has a lot of private. But I usually try and avoid those those type of areas.
I am also fairly good at telling distances within a few yards so I don't use a range finer either. But I am addicted to my binoculars.

When I first started bow hunting my camo consisted of Levi's and a flannel shirt. Rain gear was a old piece of waterproof tent that we cut up to make a poncho out of. But I also like my insulated boots where I don't have to wear 3 pairs of socks and have to stomp around to get the feeling back into my toes on cold mornings.

I remember when the civilian type of GPS's first came out and a couple of friends purchased them. While hunting down in Arizona in a fairly flat area two of them walked right past the truck and ended up at a paved road two miles away and they were using the GPS to find the truck.
I too like many high tech things, but mostly clothing related. Waterproof/breathable rain gear, boots, etc. I carry a cell phone which works well where we hunt and a GPS, and a solar charger and flashlight. I just always prepare for the FUBAR scenario? Doesn't happen often, but........?

I too like many high tech things, but mostly clothing related. Waterproof/breathable rain gear, boots, etc. I carry a cell phone which works well where we hunt and a GPS, and a solar charger and flashlight. I just always prepare for the FUBAR scenario? Doesn't happen often, but........?
Ive just been so out of it. My last real hunting trip ( africa ) was 2015.
Im pretty new here. But seems everybody is all about the new stuff. And i feel like i dont belong. Lol
Seems like everything i say is questionable as me being a hunter. I don't dismiss any of the new stuff as being great. I just question it over the stuff i use.
Ive seen scopes in the high dollar range and kicked their @$$ at the rifle range. I dont reload, only buy facfory rounds. I just dont see the draw other tham bragging rights or real precise shooting. Hunting and range shooting, ibe never seen the advantage.
Im not a Olympian, but I have won shooting contests here. Being a stock rifle witj add ons vs a 20k rifle. I have expensive rifles, but they are just a name.
I jist dont get where the whole culture has gone ?

Ive just been so out of it. My last real hunting trip ( africa ) was 2015.
Im pretty new here. But seems everybody is all about the new stuff. And i feel like i dont belong. Lol
Seems like everything i say is questionable as me being a hunter. I don't dismiss any of the new stuff as being great. I just question it over the stuff i use.
Ive seen scopes in the high dollar range and kicked their @$$ at the rifle range. I dont reload, only buy facfory rounds. I just dont see the draw other tham bragging rights or real precise shooting. Hunting and range shooting, ibe never seen the advantage.
Im not a Olympian, but I have won shooting contests here. Being a stock rifle witj add ons vs a 20k rifle. I have expensive rifles, but they are just a name.
I jist dont get where the whole culture has gone ?
Look, what your describing (other than an African hunt) is the same thing that most hunters around the world, including me, are thinking, feeling, doing? I've hunted and harvested a number of deer, pronghorn and elk (oh, and one pig) over the last 45 years of hunting. But I've never been to Africa, just as 99 percent of all the hunters worldwide never have been. Just like me, for many it's a dream to hunt in Africa. A worthwhile and attainable dream, but for most has been fleeting. Most hunters, like me and you, have average priced scopes, binoculars and are average/above average shooters. Most hunters don't reload their ammo. That's OK. In fact, everything you've described is OK. Baby steps? If something isn't working for you, maybe upgrade? Don't fret about it. Many members on this site have been fortunate to have hunted in Africa (as have you) and they share their wonderful experiences with those that have not like me. Learn from their experiences shared here. My "baby step" going forward is to hunt Africa some day. Relax, use what you want to hunt with, hunt what you want when you want and where you want, and to hell with everybody and every other reason to the contrary!

Look, what your describing (other than an African hunt) is the same thing that most hunters around the world, including me, are thinking, feeling, doing? I've hunted and harvested a number of deer, pronghorn and elk (oh, and one pig) over the last 45 years of hunting. But I've never been to Africa, just as 99 percent of all the hunters worldwide never have been. Just like me, for many it's a dream to hunt in Africa. A worthwhile and attainable dream, but for most has been fleeting. Most hunters, like me and you, have average priced scopes, binoculars and are average/above average shooters. Most hunters don't reload their ammo. That's OK. In fact, everything you've described is OK. Baby steps? If something isn't working for you, maybe upgrade? Don't fret about it. Many members on this site have been fortunate to have hunted in Africa (as have you) and they share their wonderful experiences with those that have not like me. Learn from their experiences shared here. My "baby step" going forward is to hunt Africa some day. Relax, use what you want to hunt with, hunt what you want when you want and where you want, and to hell with everybody and every other reason to the contrary!
I agree. I just think it is funny how people get caught up in stuff. Just the same as my friends make fun of me for drag racing.
I love hunting and Africa. Im so thankful for all my trips there. But that is what makes it funny to me. My uncle lived there. I spent every summer ther from 6 to 20. He never had a scope, only wore tennis shoes and a bunch of other low rent hunting techniques. I agree fully.
I believe use what u want.
But i would like to hear suggestions. I always like to hear what works for other people. Then make my judgment if its for me.
I've spent 100k on a engine. So i wont knock someone that spent that on a rifle. Just for me, I believe I can use a 1k rifle with the same result as a 20k rifle. Different with a engine.
But it sure is interesting to see the equipment, most i dont understand ,
I guess it is to each their own in the end ?

I agree. I just think it is funny how people get caught up in stuff. Just the same as my friends make fun of me for drag racing.
I love hunting and Africa. Im so thankful for all my trips there. But that is what makes it funny to me. My uncle lived there. I spent every summer ther from 6 to 20. He never had a scope, only wore tennis shoes and a bunch of other low rent hunting techniques. I agree fully.
I believe use what u want.
But i would like to hear suggestions. I always like to hear what works for other people. Then make my judgment if its for me.
I've spent 100k on a engine. So i wont knock someone that spent that on a rifle. Just for me, I believe I can use a 1k rifle with the same result as a 20k rifle. Different with a engine.
But it sure is interesting to see the equipment, most i dont understand ,
I guess it is to each their own in the end ?
You have a "quantum leap" ahead as far as African hunting with your uncle living there and you having hunted there. There are MANY here on this forum who have hunted Africa MANY times, so listen to what they suggest, versus you and your uncle's experiences? Decide for yourself? Don't buy into the hype of HAVING to have the latest and greatest African hunting rifle or gear. In some instances, it may be more beneficial or efficient, but probably much more expensive too. What rifle and ammo did you use in Africa? I'd use the same again? Although the doubles and Blaser rifles are intriguing to me, I've seen NEITHER IN PERSON anywhere hunting or at any gun show ever in Colorado in 31 years. I know they exist from photographs and testimonials here, but I've never seen one. WHEN I am able to hunt in Africa, I'll use what I have or will rent a rifle from the outfitter. I'm not stressing out over the issue. Besides, there will probably be a new strain of the virus out anyway to temper such ideological thoughts. Ha! Ha! Ha!

You have a "quantum leap" ahead as far as African hunting with your uncle living there and you having hunted there. There are MANY here on this forum who have hunted Africa MANY times, so listen to what they suggest, versus you and your uncle's experiences? Decide for yourself? Don't buy into the hype of HAVING to have the latest and greatest African hunting rifle or gear. In some instances, it may be more beneficial or efficient, but probably much more expensive too. What rifle and ammo did you use in Africa? I'd use the same again? Although the doubles and Blaser rifles are intriguing to me, I've seen NEITHER IN PERSON anywhere hunting or at any gun show ever in Colorado in 31 years. I know they exist from photographs and testimonials here, but I've never seen one. WHEN I am able to hunt in Africa, I'll use what I have or will rent a rifle from the outfitter. I'm not stressing out over the issue. Besides, there will probably be a new strain of the virus out anyway to temper such ideological thoughts. Ha! Ha! Ha!
I hear ya! Unfortunately most of my experience there was at a young age. But I do feel blessed to have the experience.
I would never slam anyone from their experiences or their beliefs in their equipment choices.
My main curiosity is to learn. So if any new equipment that is out there can help me, im all for it.
I bought 1 dr in 2014. I really have no experience with them. It is the first one ive shot. I have some of my grandfathers in storage, but they are old and i wouldnt even think about shooting them, at my knowledge of firearms.
I agree to use what works. I would like to find a really good boot though. Lol
Everything ive bought has been stiff as a board or had no ventilation, despite reviews and manufacturers comments.

The only real expensive scope I know of is Swarovski DS, designed for long distance, and it is $5K not $7K. I personally know of no one that has it though.

For an African hunt one can go as low tech as they want. Due to hot iron usage I leave my Kuiu gear at home and wear canvas shorts and pants.

Now, for scopes I will use a decent scope manufactured in the last 6-7 years. However, I do like having a range finder and most importantly a red dot on my DG rifles.

Last fall I did go for a pheasant hunt in SD. I had 4 layers on. However, between Merino wool and Kuiu mid layer, top layer and rain gear etc. I was not packing a ton of clothing in weight. Not to mention if it got a bit warmer I just opened up vents that were built in the clothing. The Dubarry boots @Red Leg recommended did a great job as well. Not too many leather boots are also waterproof. I did go into a bog with them and yes they are waterproof. I was pretty comfy at 24F.

I dont reload, only buy facfory rounds. I just dont see the draw other tham bragging rights or real precise shooting. Hunting and range shooting, ibe never seen the advantage.
Im not a Olympian, but I have won shooting contests here.

I compete in USPSA pistol shooting when there is no Covid. My handgun will not run factory ammo and I also shoot about 60K rounds a year between training and competitions. So, reloading is a necessity both from a practical and cost standpoint. I even started reloading shotshells recently as to date I am around 15K shells for the last 10 months of practice of sporting clays. Reloading has been a blessing as ammo just is not available, and when available restricted to a couple of boxes.

For hunting rounds if there is a factory round sure. However my most widely used rifles are custom wildcats, no factory ammo. Also, I like Cutting Edge bullets. I can get "Choice Ammunition" to load them for regular calibers but for double rifles or wildcats I am on my own.

One thing about using "high tech", though by your definition it seems to mean things that were not around in your youth ;) , is that one can choose the right tool for the job.

At this time I am just too damn old to compromise in regards to comfort and functionality.

I was more curiois about all the gadgets ive been reading about. My son takes shooting as his passion. He has high doar equipment that i will never understand. But my old 16yr old rifle crushes his at the range.
I was really just trying to see if the money spent for the new tech was worth it. Im sure there are some expert marksman on here that can tell me why. But I would like to hear hunters tell theor real world stories of why the 7k scope got the shot that the 3k scope couldn't get.
Im not knocking the new tech or people that use it.
Im just saying as man that uses a 16yr ol rifle and scope, i do pretty well.
Who uses a 7K “computerized” scope? What model would that be? You say you own a 10 year old 2K or 3K Swarovski. That would still be a pretty exceptional scope of the highest quality - not exactly old school.

I assume you have a binocular? You said you own a range finder. A range finding binocular merely puts the two in a single package. Most of the newer models will do a bit more with regard to ballistic calculation, but the primary use is pretty basic.

I would be interested in hearing about the military matches in which you participate so successfully as a civilian with a scoped rifle.

The fancy scopes (auto dialing) Bluetoothed to a kestrel (hand held weather station) are preferred when you are competing at multiple unknown distances in a limited amount of time. Otherwise it’s all a bit superfluous for one off hunting shots. I have a friend who shoots 1000yd matches with a garand, so clearly the latest and greatest isn’t always required (especially at hunting distances).
That said, my Simmons is about as clear as lake water compared with a Swaro or NF.

Who uses a 7K “computerized” scope? What model would that be? You say you own a 10 year old 2K or 3K Swarovski. That would still be a pretty exceptional scope of the highest quality - not exactly old school.

I assume you have a binocular? You said you own a range finder. A range finding binocular merely puts the two in a single package. Most of the newer models will do a bit more with regard to ballistic calculation, but the primary use is pretty basic.

I would be interested in hearing about the military matches in which you participate so successfully as a civilian with a scoped rifle.
I actually dont know how much those computerized scopes cost. I was just throwing a number out there. Im sure they arent cheap.
Our local matches here arent government matches. We have different styles and brackets for different rifle types. We have 2 classes of military arms, semi automatic and long range. We have 3 styles of cowboy shooting, pistol, rifle and shotgun. We have afew different speed shooting contests for pistols. We also have a black powder contest out here.
Its mostly just local people, sometimes will get a few from Phoenix down here. Some of the best shots ive seen are border patrol. Must be nice to get all that free practice ammo. Haha

The only real expensive scope I know of is Swarovski DS, designed for long distance, and it is $5K not $7K. I personally know of no one that has it though.

For an African hunt one can go as low tech as they want. Due to hot iron usage I leave my Kuiu gear at home and wear canvas shorts and pants.

Now, for scopes I will use a decent scope manufactured in the last 6-7 years. However, I do like having a range finder and most importantly a red dot on my DG rifles.

Last fall I did go for a pheasant hunt in SD. I had 4 layers on. However, between Merino wool and Kuiu mid layer, top layer and rain gear etc. I was not packing a ton of clothing in weight. Not to mention if it got a bit warmer I just opened up vents that were built in the clothing. The Dubarry boots @Red Leg recommended did a great job as well. Not too many leather boots are also waterproof. I did go into a bog with them and yes they are waterproof. I was pretty comfy at 24F.

I compete in USPSA pistol shooting when there is no Covid. My handgun will not run factory ammo and I also shoot about 60K rounds a year between training and competitions. So, reloading is a necessity both from a practical and cost standpoint. I even started reloading shotshells recently as to date I am around 15K shells for the last 10 months of practice of sporting clays. Reloading has been a blessing as ammo just is not available, and when available restricted to a couple of boxes.

For hunting rounds if there is a factory round sure. However my most widely used rifles are custom wildcats, no factory ammo. Also, I like Cutting Edge bullets. I can get "Choice Ammunition" to load them for regular calibers but for double rifles or wildcats I am on my own.

One thing about using "high tech", though by your definition it seems to mean things that were not around in your youth ;) , is that one can choose the right tool for the job.

At this time I am just too damn old to compromise in regards to comfort and functionality.
The reloading knowledge would be great right now for sure. My son reloads. So I can get afew rounds from him.
As much as you shoot, I bet you do really save a barrel of cash by reloading !
We have local shoots down here at our range. They have speed pistol shoots. I dont participate. I just like looking at their kimber custom jobs and so forth.

No matter, whether it be considered old school, low tech or hi-tech, actually I think all gear was hi-tech at one point in time. I try to match my gear to the hunt and the degree of comfort I seek.

I think a lot of hi-tech gadgets have there place and usefulness. I've had an InReach for several years now and consider it a must have safety device when in the field or traveling. I also keep a plain jane Suunto compass for redundancy. Rangefinders, another nice hi-tech, device have given us the ability to shoot at longer distances without guesswork. Some even have sensors for reading the atmospherics and compute a shoot solution and still are compact and light weight. Sure they take some effort to learn but I find them to be a great aide, especially with shots beyond 400-500yds. If nothing else it exercises my brain.

There is a high tech job ! Would probably take me years to figure that thing out !
Screenshot_20210409-090656_Chrome.jpg

I wanted to see everyones opinion on using gadgets. From past posts, I see some of you get very technical with everything from scopes to boots. Seems some try all the newest products and have the knowledge of all things hunting/shooting. Where do you fit in ?

By today’s standard, apparently I’m a dinosaur.
I don’t even own a variable power rifle scope.
Furthermore, if God had meant for us to put plastic stocks on our rifles, he would have made trees out of that rubbish.
Hahahahahaha......ha.

If you know your rifle and zero at the appropriate distance, there is no advantage to turrets inside 400 yards with anything approaching a .270 or .30-06 trajectory. In fact, all that nonsense will just slow you down. Shooting at distances beyond that is interesting on steel, but IMO, not appropriate on game outside a few very select hunts.

If you know your rifle and zero at the appropriate distance, there is no advantage to turrets inside 400 yards with anything approaching a .270 or .30-06 trajectory. In fact, all that nonsense will just slow you down. Shooting at distances beyond that is interesting on steel, but IMO, not appropriate on game outside a few very select hunts.
+1
(And I wish I had said that).

To me, all those gimmicks and gadgets are just something waiting to go wrong. Learn to read a map and compass or travel by shadows and terrain features. Good old natural wool is still the best and a 4x fixed power scope will work just fine. I admit I have "progressed" to low power variables with illuminated reticles. The old eyes ain't what they used to be. In a hunting situation there is no logical reason to shoot more than 300 yards. If you can't stalk closer, don't risk the shot. It's supposed to be hunting, not long range sniping. I daresay that at 300 yards an off the shelf $500.00 rifle is just as deadly as a 20k whiz boomer. I'm old fashioned and don't understand or trust a lot of this newfangled tomfoolery. Give me old proven gear that I grew up with and know. Still works fine.

My favorite high tech stuff is cold weather gear. There’s been a huge improvement in that over the past 2 decades. And since I’m kinda old, I like anything that keeps me warmer.

I also like to pretend that I can hit steel at fairly long range so I love my rangefinders. I also do a bit of predator hunting so it gets used in that pursuit as well. Plus its just fun to range things and see how I do with my guesses. And my electronic caller.

A lot of ARs can be found in my safe, I suppose that’s a form of tech even though the semi auto has been around for over 100 years. ARs are more like firearm legos.

On the other hand I’m pretty taken with the old stuff. My newest shotgun that I actually use, was made in the 50s. My oldest in use is a Model 1912 Winchester 16 gauge built in 1914.

My other rifles are pretty low tech bolt actions and two single shots (my favorites). The scopes are serviceable but not super expensive. My long range steel banging rifle has a fixed SWFA 10 power on it that I paid a couple hundred bucks for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg