Taxidermy cost and questions for possible upcoming safari

Jonathan Gurley

Reaction score
Hey guys I am new to the site and trying to get my ducks in a row. I was getting quotes on a Cape Buffalo hunt and a Kudu in Zimbabwe. It was 13500$. Of course i realize i have to buy my airline tickets. and the 13500 is the hunt, lodge, food etc. My question is what am i looking at price wise if I want to get the Cape and Kudu shoulder mounted. Is it better to get it done in Zim or have it shipped back here to North Carolina and have it done. I was wondering what everyones guess on the cost would be for taxidermy mounting there and getting the mounts shipped to the states. I am just looking some ballpark figures and educated guess's.

Hey guys I am new to the site and trying to get my ducks in a row. I was getting quotes on a Cape Buffalo hunt and a Kudu in Zimbabwe. It was 13500$. Of course i realize i have to buy my airline tickets. and the 13500 is the hunt, lodge, food etc. My question is what am i looking at price wise if I want to get the Cape and Kudu shoulder mounted. Is it better to get it done in Zim or have it shipped back here to North Carolina and have it done. I was wondering what everyones guess on the cost would be for taxidermy mounting there and getting the mounts shipped to the states. I am just looking some ballpark figures and educated guess's.
I have always had everything dipped and packed then mounted in the USA. I do this partly for shipping and partly because it’s nice to be able to walk into taxidermy shop and see the mounts. The container to ship a shoulder mount buffalo and kudu will be huge and shipping won’t be cheap. My usual shipping from a crate containing dipped and packed trophies from South Africa or Namibia is usually $1000-$1500, I could only guess on how much mounted trophies would be to ship. Then there is shipping to final destination in USA usually another couple hundred dollars for the crate of dip and pack trophies.

According to my outfitter there are no good taxidermists in Zimbabwe, so he recommends people ship the trophies back to the States.

Also, regarding your cost make sure you have allocated funds for trophy prep, tips, government taxes and levies etc. as well. Any extra transportation to the hunt site and any extra overnights needs to be added on as well. In my case at Zim, not counting tips all the extra fees and government taxes add up to about 10% of the hunt (daily fees + trophy fees).

Also, you might not want a local NC taxidermist do the trophies, they might not know how to do African game. There are a few competent taxidermists that advertise on this site. Ask them for a quote.

I would ship and dip and get them mounted her in the states. Any taxidermy saving will be offset from shipping finished product, with those large of mounts. They will be huge and heavy. And shipping is based on weight and the size of the crate.

Start taking trips to every taxidermist in your area. Do at least a 100 mile radius if not more and then talk to them and take a look at their work.

I also agree to get it done here in the states. When I first told my taxidermist that I was headed over to Africa he showed me a couple of mounts that he was waiting for new capes for that had been done in Africa. While not real bad they were not good. A spring buck had a strange looking smile on his face. It just wasn't natural.

Definitely get your stuff out of Zimbabwe. There is a lot of good taxidermist state side (lots of crappy ones too) but they can ship the complete work to you.

Hello, I’d love to have the opportunity to work on your animals. I’m not in NC but ship all over the country. I am also USDA certified and will work with your import broker to make the entire process smooth as glass.

@Jonathan Gurley , welcome to AH.

Your cost for a buff and kudu sounds quite good. How long of hunt is this, what time of year and where? Are trophy fees included in this price?

There is actually a good taxidermist in Bulawayo, if you are hunting in southern Zim. http://collettswildlifeartistry.com/contact/ was recommended to me when I hunted with @John Sharp.

Having said that, I would agree with most of the comments on just doing a dip and pack and ship to the US for taxidermy work. Trophies will likely go from Zim to Joberg, RSA and then to the US.
Dip and pack $300
Ship to US $1000
Clearance fees and agent $500
Kudu shoulder mounts in the US, $1400-1800. Cape Buff, $1600-2000.

Once you decide on a US based taxidermist, they will provide you with info on where to ship to. Typically is goes to a USDA / USFW approved facility, most likely being the tannery that the taxidermist uses.

Last edited:
Dip and pack and bring home!

It is a 7 day hunt. Near Makuti. Don’t know time of year yet. Any time better than others ? Only things not included is tips according to my email string. Sounds like getting them dipped and shipped is the best route and find someone stateside that can do a good job. I doubt there is anyone in North Carolina that could do them. I rather not have a taxidermist experimenting on my trophies. I would like someone who has done a lot of African mounts.
@Jonathan Gurley , welcome to AH.

Your cost for a buff and kudu sounds quite good. How long of hunt is this, what time of year and where? Are trophy fees included in this price?

There is actually a good taxidermist in Bulawayo, if you are hunting in southern Zim. http://collettswildlifeartistry.com/contact/ was recommended to me when I hunted with @John Sharp.

Having said that, I would agree with most of the comments on just doing a dip and pack and ship to the US for taxidermy work. Trophies will likely go from Zim to Joberg, RSA and then to the US.
Dip and pack $300
Ship to US $1000
Clearance fees and agent $500
Kudu shoulder mounts in the US, $1400-1800. Cape Buff, $1600-2000.

Once you decide on a US based taxidermist, they will provide you with info on where to ship to. Typically is goes to a USDA / USFW approved facility, most likely being the tannery that the taxidermist uses.

It is a 7 day hunt. Near Makuti. Don’t know time of year yet. Any time better than others ? Only things not included is tips according to my email string. Sounds like getting them dipped and shipped is the best route and find someone stateside that can do a good job. I doubt there is anyone in North Carolina that could do them. I rather not have a taxidermist experimenting on my trophies. I would like someone who has done a lot of African mounts.
If you start looking, I think you will be surprised at the amount of Africa work taxidermists in your area actually do, at least I am in western Pennsylvania. One thing to suggest you might not think about, I notice a lot of taxidermists try to make buffalo pretty, the scars and character are half the trophy to me. Take lots of pictures of the front and sides of face and ears so they can give you your buffalo like it was.

Jonathan,

I am in Durham, NC.

My first trip to SA, I had taxidermy done in Africa. It was good. Prices were cheaper there. Shipping was expensive. Took more than 1 year.

My most recent trip to Zimbabwe, I had the trophies (buff, wb, zebra, impala) dip and packed in Zim and sent to US. total cost of dip/shipping/coppersmith receiving and further shipment to taxidermist was about $3k. Trophies were at the tannery about 4 months after trip.

I found several taxidermists in NC that had experience with African animals, but in the end, after visiting his shop, went with a small shop in VA that does only African animals, Safari Arts Taxidermy.

My trophies are scheduled to be done early summer - again about a year after the trip.

Brian

If your not careful your taxidermy cost can equal or exceed the cost of your hunt. I highly recommend having your mounts done in the US. If you have your mounts done in Africa the taxidermist will want you to pay 50% upfront and he will probably offer you a 10-15% discount if you pay him in full. This sounds great but you just dropped 13K for your hunt and now you need to spend another 4-5K before you leave thats 17-18K on your credit card in a single day. If you have your work done in the States you will have 6-9 months if not a year to rebuild your finances before you have to pay for your taxidermy. In Africa once your mounts leave the Taxidermist shop he is no longer responsible for your mounts and will not guarantee they arrive to you undamaged, your crate will be handled by countless uncaring truck drivers, fork truck operators, dock workers and baggage handlers before it even reaches the US. If you have your work done in the US you could drive to your Taxidermist and pick up your mounts yourself and avoid all those risks to your mounts and memories.

Jonathan,

I am in Durham, NC.

My first trip to SA, I had taxidermy done in Africa. It was good. Prices were cheaper there. Shipping was expensive. Took more than 1 year.

My most recent trip to Zimbabwe, I had the trophies (buff, wb, zebra, impala) dip and packed in Zim and sent to US. total cost of dip/shipping/coppersmith receiving and further shipment to taxidermist was about $3k. Trophies were at the tannery about 4 months after trip.

I found several taxidermists in NC that had experience with African animals, but in the end, after visiting his shop, went with a small shop in VA that does only African animals, Safari Arts Taxidermy.

My trophies are scheduled to be done early summer - again about a year after the trip.

Brian
What’s the buffalo and all costing for the mount brian. I’m guessing shoulder mounts ?

You will most likely fly into Harare or Victoria Falls and have a bit of a drive then. Make sure that is included in the quote. A 7 day buff hunt is a bit short. A 10 day is better and cost a bit more obviously.

As far as best time to hunt, maybe Aug or Sept. It's getting hotter but you want the foliage off of the trees as much as possible for better visibility in the bush. I hunted southern Zim in late May and all the leaves were still on and it was tough hunting.

Check w/ @cpr0312 about taxidermist in NC. He may have a good one to recommend.

As others have suggested, get them done in the US. A lot of horror stories about lost trophies, wrong trophies, piss poor workmanship (and I really mean piss poor), and the list goes on and on and on. Get them done here, and don't look back.

Yes the pickup and carry back from airport is included. It’s about 5 hour ride a according to guide
You will most likely fly into Harare or Victoria Falls and have a bit of a drive then. Make sure that is included in the quote. A 7 day buff hunt is a bit short. A 10 day is better and cost a bit more obviously.

As far as best time to hunt, maybe Aug or Sept. It's getting hotter but you want the foliage off of the trees as much as possible for better visibility in the bush. I hunted southern Zim in late May and all the leaves were still on and it was tough hunting.

Check w/ @cpr0312 about taxidermist in NC. He may have a good one to recommend.

What’s the buffalo and all costing for the mount brian. I’m guessing shoulder mounts ?

I am getting wall pedestals of buff, wildebeest, and 1 impala. Euro of other impala and a zebra rug. It has been awhile since I wrote the check for the deposit, and can't remember off hand. I will try to look it up and let you know.
Brian

I recommend having your animals dipped and packed and shipped back to United States. Then I would have an American taxidermist do the work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goldpatnners

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,