Taking your own rifle: Is it worth the hassle?

Discussion in 'Hunting Africa' started by MizzouAg, Nov 1, 2017.

1. 375 Ruger Fan

375 Ruger Fan AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, DSC
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Zimbabwe, New Zealand, South Africa (Eastern Cape & NW), Alaska, TX, LA, MO, OH, MT, ID, WA, Canada (Yukon)
    My experience is very much the same as Sand Rat's. I have lived and worked in Angola and Nigeria for quite a while and my guns are all safe queens in Louisiana. I've done 4 safaris with 4 different outfitters and rented guns from them with no issues or complaints. That being said, I look forward to being back home in Louisiana and Texas soon and plan to take my own rifles on future hunts. I did take my own rifle to Canada and there is probably about the same level of hassle doing that as there is going to Africa. A very manageable level.

2. Hogpatrol

Hogpatrol AH ENABLER SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Atglen Sportsmen's Club, NRA ,SCCFSA, Bridgeville Rifle & Pistol Club
    Hunted:
    RSA, DE, NJ, PA, KS, TX, ME
    Red Leg, My syntax isn't correct. What I meant to say was between the .243 and .270, one of those would kill PG, dependent on their size and distance. I agree for the average skilled hunter to not using the .243 for the large animals but the tiny ones, springbok, blesbok and others of that size, a .243 is sufficient. Elan, waterbuck, zebra, etc., the .270 works. As you said, shot placement is the main thing.

3. JimP

JimP AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, RMEF
    Hunted:
    US (Utah, Arizona, Idaho, Colorado, Nevada. Canada (British Colombia), South Africa (Eastern Cape)
    On my hunt I thought about taking two rifles of different calibers but soon decided not to.

The big reason was that most of the hunting I did was for a animal of opportunity and I didn't want to be under-gunned should that trophy of a lifetime should just pop up within rifle range.

The only time that I went out for a specific animal in mind was the last day of the hunt when we went after my kudu. Other than that we went after what we saw while we were hunting.

Red Leg and Velo Dog like this.

4. Red Leg

Red Leg AH ENABLER LIFETIME BRONZE BENEFACTOR AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
    Hunted:
    Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
    Have only brought two rifles once, and other than checking zero, the lighter rifle stayed in the case for the whole hunt for that very reason.

5. James Cook

James Cook AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Dallas Safari Club, NRA Life, B.A.S.S., Ducks Unlimted
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Mexico, Argentina, Canada, U.S. - LA, TX, OK, AR, AL, SC, GA, KS
    Understand some may prefer to rent and taking a gun may be considered to risky. But I'm not going to make that memory of a lifetime with someone else's gun. Took two rifles last time. The paperwork was not that difficult in my opinion. A little additional time at the airport well worth it. There's nothing in life that doesn't take a little work to accomplish or that doesn't have some level of risk. The satisfaction of accomplishing the task with personally chosen and set up equipment - priceless.

6. tarbe

tarbe AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life, Handloaders Anonymous
    Hunted:
    USA, South Africa, Zimbabwe
    Well, I'll just say that I am an incurable gun nut and hunting with someone else's rifle is, to me, like kissing your sister.

To the non-incurable gun nut, it doesn't matter.

Each hunter should be guided by his own feelings on the matter.

I guess I am just being Captain Obvious!

James Cook likes this.

7. Eric Anderson

Eric Anderson AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    RSA
    For me? Absolutely, even though I completely stumbled into it, not knowing anything about the process. I have friend who live in RSA, and I had a standing invitation to go hunting there. I showed up IN JNB with an old Lee-enfield, a 4457, and nothing else. The JNB police held my rifle until I could hire a PH, get a letter of invitation, and get my rifle out of jail. I flew through Frankfurt on the way there, but flew through dubai back, big mistake. I didn't have a importation permit for a 2 hour layover... something never flown internationally with a firearm, i had no idea I needed. My flight was leaving in 4 hours, and I did not have the money to get a permit, and buy a last minute, one way ticket back to the US. So I went back to the police station to surrender my rifle to be cut up. They told me to pick it up next time I come back to South Africa to hunt. I picked it up this April, 10 months later, and brought it home.

8. Longwalker

Longwalker AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation, Saskatoon Gun Dog Club
    Hunted:
    Canada USA, Germany, South Africa, Namibia
    One of the things I'd check out about any outfitter in Africa is the rifles being offered for clients to rent. As it turns out, on my first African hunt for plains game I was offered the same model Sako rifle that I have at home and have used extensively. I was very familiar with the feel and operation, it had a good scope, and the only difference was that it was equipped with a clumsy but quieter suppressor. Not a big adaptation.
    For my next trip I've been developing loads for a couple of Sako .375 H&H rifles and practising shooting in all sorts of situations with them. The winner in reliability, accuracy, ease and speed of use will be chosen for use on a buffalo hunt. And so my opinion has changed. When hunting for dangerous game I'd much prefer to use my own rifle.
    So, my answer is, it depends!

JimP, Areaonereal and Hogpatrol like this.

9. cagkt3

cagkt3 AH ENABLER PLATINUM SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC, SCI - West Texas Chapter, HSC, NRA Life Member, Ducks Unlimited
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Zimbabwe, OK, TX, UT, KS
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

dmyers, 1dirthawker, Ryan and 3 others like this.

10. 40inarow

40inarow New Member

Member of:
    NRA Life member, SCI, NSCA, NSSA, Central Texas Silhouette Assn., Texas State Rifle Assn., National Shooting Center
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Mexico, Canada, 12 states in USA
    There is a saying, not all shooters are hunters and not all hunters are shooters. If you are a shooter then there is no reason to ask the question.

I would like to warn the Africanhunting community about Riflepermits Inc. We used them this year and they met us at the airport in Johannesburg and got our guns through. The problem was we paid for Riflepermits Inc. to hold our guns for a couple days while we went to visit Victoria Falls after our hunt was over. When we arrived at Johannesburg I talked with the lady from Riflepermits Inc. about the procedure to bring our rifles to them on our return. She was disinterested and gave no information. When we returned from our hunt, it was a Sunday and Riflepermits Inc. was not available. Our PH from Numzaan Safaris personally held our guns and met us a the airport when we arrived back from Victoria Falls. Riflepermits Inc. never returned correspondence from us and kept the fee to hold our guns. Riflepermits Inc. is not trustworthy to hold your guns.

11. tarbe

tarbe AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life, Handloaders Anonymous
    Hunted:
    USA, South Africa, Zimbabwe
    "This is my rifle, this is my gun. This is for killing, this is for fun"..

JimP, cagkt3 and Hogpatrol like this.

12. Jeff Sholes

Jeff Sholes New Member

I agree! It is like tying your own fly for fly fishing. It is more satisfying catching a fish off of your own stuff than someone elses.

JimP and Hogpatrol like this.

13. Tom Leoni

Tom Leoni AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, NSSF, RMEF
    Hunted:
    USA, Canada, Europe
    There's no way I buy a fine English gun and then use someone's rented Savage for the trip of a lifetime (no offense to Savage).

The hassle and expenses are part of the experience.

JimP and Hogpatrol like this.

14. curtism1234

curtism1234 AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Hunted: RSA, MO, WY. Fished: MO, IL, AR, MS, FL, WI, MI, WY
    I think the stress of planning a international trip is high; those who travel a lot may not think so. Therefor, I would very strongly consider renting a rifle on your first trip because you have enough to worry about. This can eliminate part of that.

That being said, you have to find out what rifles are available to rent ahead of time. While I would not go with one outfitter over the other based on available rifles alone (I'd bring my own rifle if I had to), it is nice to know what you will be using. Perhaps I am spoiled with a Cabelas and Bass Pro nearby, but I am always monkeying around the used gun rack. Even though I don't own them, I know which models I like and fit me and which ones will not work.

Most shots are off a decent rest at 150 yards or under. I think those who have shooting all their life can adjust rather quickly with a rifle that feels good.

15. dmyers

dmyers AH Veteran

Hunted:
    Namibia, Canada,
    Depends on whether you see your rifle as “an extension of you’’ or simply a really neat tool to do a job. For me, the tool I use is secondary to the hunt itself, so it makes sense to rent.

Most guns, even budget rifles and optics, shoot better than the people shooting them. If the rented gun is on at the bench on day one when you check the zero, then it will do the job in the field if you do. Good Safari companies want you to be successful, so they will likely have solid guns to work with.

And if you have never shot with a suppressed rifle, rent one- they are wonderful.

I however, am right handed, a man, and of average build, so most firearms are made to fit me.