Swift A frame reload data ?

IMG_1183.JPG
I'm going through the same thing. I posted this else where, but here are results from yesterday.

Yes I like the book but the 2 brands of powders you wanted are hit and miss in the book. Always Hodgdon, IMR are there.

I have a Krieghoff Classic Big Five Double rifle in caliber 375 H&H Mag.
I wonder, how near maximum loads do you guys go.
I`m using 300 grs Woodleigh RNSN, FMJ and also A-Frame 300 grs.

I`m using Norma and Vhitavuori powder, and I also loaded this one as close to the ammo that this rifle are regulated with (Norma 300 grs TXP (A-Frame bullet))
My load are at 2500 -2550 fps,

Are the doublerifles sensitiv to max loads, I`m thinking that hard loads can twist the barrels apart.

In my experience and also based on reports I have received from other hunters I would say that Swift A frames are as good as you can get. Right up there with monometals but more compact for a given weight I also haven't noticed any particular problems with load development.
Personally I would go cautiously in loading for a double. Not to say that the loads need to be mild, but not as hot as one might load in a strong bolt actio

Yes, Swift A-Frames are proven, at least for me, in my 458 Lott and my 375.
I use re-15 in the 375 and imr 4320 in the 458. Fired at least 100 rounds ea. thru the chrony with different powders and charges.
My rifles picked the above two powders.
Aframes do mushroom and penetrate to where it counts in Africa and Alaska.

I think the pressure concerns relate to the bullet construction. The heavy partition does not behave quite like the standard lead filled SP - it does not compress so much as the bullet engages the rifling. I bought the Swift manual and plan on trying the bullets in the near future. Can't have too may reloading manuals!

Swift A frames are outstanding, especially on heavy game . Solved all of bullet fragmentation issues on my .338WM on a recent tril a 275gr swift travelled more or less the length of a big giraffe head ( read huge) and exited out of the back , taking out the top vertebra . Exit wound was about 45-50cal . That's truly amazing performance
Advice already given is correct- the bullets seem to be bit harder/tighter so start fairly low and work up. Accuracy is generally outstanding
These bullets need a bit of velocity to expand properly, So they are not good for lo g range applications On the plus side, they simply do not blow up, even when used at super close ranges .
Bullets simply dont come better than this for tough game at close range .

Four year old thread. I hope he's got it figured out by now.:rolleyes:

Divernhunter, you didn't have to post all the data, but thanks anyway. Then I know that getting the book is going to be worthwhile, and there are probably/hopefully Norma/Vihtavuori loads listed for my other rifles as well (.30-06, 9.3x62 and 6.5x55 - even though I don't shoot Swift bullets in them (yet?). Also, I luckily have both Norma 204 and MRP at home.

Thanks again!

THE powder for 9.3 286 and 300 grain is Ram Shot Big Game. There is another forum, called Twenty Four Hour Campfire dot com, where pretty much everybody with a 9.3x62 uses a load progression developed by a poster named muledeer. Varget and RL15 seem to be the best choices for 250 gr bullets. I use Varget for NAB.

I just picked up a can of H4350 for my 6.5x55 and Woodleigh 160s. That and H1000 seem to be the trick for the heavy bullets (except for what norma lists, of course). For medium and light bullets, I've had very good success with IMR 4831 . The swift book rates RL19 as the most consistent powder for 140 AF, but they have VV and Norma powders listed as well.

Four year old thread. I hope he's got it figured out by now.:rolleyes:

Yes he probably has it figured out. But l recently purchased a .375 and am working up loads for it. Along with the 300 grain A-frame and 350 grain North Fork which l haven't found much reloading data for. What l have noticed is it's best to start a grain or two below starting loads for other loads, the pure copper jackets seem to build pressure faster.
Anyway l am learning a lot from this thread. Thanks everyone for the information

I'm sure it's probably worth the money............if I intended on loading Swift bullets in other calibers, or other bullet weights in the .375.

.....but I'm just wanting to try a box of bullets to see how they perfom; if they don't shoot accurately out of my rifle, then I won't use them......and I have $35 worth of useless data sitting on my shelf.:(

In this day and age of computer technology, most bullet makers/powder manufacturers have at least a few loads on the world wide web so that people new to their product can try them and see if they like 'em or not. It's kind of like test driving a car; you don't go and buy a vehicle based solely on what a friend says, do you?;)
I shoot them in my /06 and .300Win and they are super accurate for me...Lot of African guides recommend them.....You could always re-sell the book if need be..

Loadbooks one book on caliber has a 300 and 375 h&h book. I saw it on midway for 6 or 7 dollars. I have one for 30-06, and it has data from most bullet and powder manufacturers manuals, in one small book, including swift. Hope this helps

Guys, I'm looking for some insight re: reloading the 9.3x62. I should start by saying that I've been reloading for 40+ years but am just 6 months in to the 9.3. My quandary is that many of the loads suggesting in other sites by 'Mule Deer' and others will NOT fit into a Norma 9.3x62 case, particularly the Ram Shot Big Game loads. I contacted Western Powders and their tech indicated that the posted loads were well over maximum loads for the cartridge. Unsatisfied with the loads that fell within the Western data I tried some other powders, IMR 4064 (I've got a bunch so what the heck), and H 4350 to name two. My rifle (Rigby Highland Stalker) loves H 4350. 64.7 gr H 4350 with a 286 gr Swift A-Frame is shooting sub 1/2" groups at 2390 fps. 64.7 gr H 4350 with a 270 gr Speer Spitzer is shooting sub 3/4" groups at 2500 fps. These loads are highly compressed (powder is up into the neck) but are showing no signs of pressure. My question is, I cannot find any load data for H 4350 with 250 gr bullets. I would dearly love to try this charge under a 250 gr Nosler AccuBond. Has anyone seen load data for H 4350 and 250 gr bullets? Do you see any danger in putting a 250 on top of this powder charge? Is anyone else finding the posted data in other forums concerning?

Note: due to the concern raised by posted loads not even fitting in a casing, I am using two different powder scales to ensure that my powder weights are accurate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JacobI313

Latest profile posts

Looking to hire Odoo developers in UAE, USA In o2b technologies has skilled and experienced Odoo developers at competitive pricing Consult Now!

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!