Swedish Mauser 6.5x55 Carl Gustafson action, is it good? What caliber build?

Gert, that stock looks like a lot of work. Do you have access to Boyd Stocks? I used one for my grandkid's gun that has a thumb-hole in it.
Shootist, somewhere along the line I have to do some work to get a rifle build ....no, no, it is a fine piece of wood I can turn into a light stalking rifle stock for the 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser..it is going to be a lot of fun...remember I still need to build the 8x68S stock as well..(y)(y)(y)
Will keep it a straight back, pistol grip , low scoped rifle stock ...I need to start looking for a nice Leopold 3-12 x 40 scope ..I think it to be enough to shoot out to 300 meters...what scope do you have on your Swede????

I am thinking of bending the straight bolt quite a bit to a sweeping style..like my other rifles..it can serve as a third lug as well..somewhere I noticed someone pointed out that this 96 action does not have gas vents??? I noticed two gas vents on the bolt..can you confirm this please???

Gert, I believe that 1917 was the last year the 1896 Mauser Action was produced. However the Actions of the M-38 rifles produced by Husqvarna are identical. From memory they were produced from 1938 through 1942. That last article you posted was terrific. If you read through the whole thing the "two lug" Swede failed a 100,000 psi. That confirms an article that I read many years ago supposedly written by the head of VV's Ballistics Department that stated that VV's Proof Barrel for the 6.5 x 55 was good for 81,000 PSI and that the action used to fire it was that of an 1896 Swedish Mauser. Some more food for thought is that there is no "pressure relief" hole in the Swede whereas there is one in the K 98.
Shootist in regards to the gas relieve holes in the Mauser 98 action ...in this action I have there are two holes in the bolt that are the gas relieve holes if I am not mistaken...please take your rifle apart and see if you have the same holes in the bolt ..I can take a photo of the two holes on Monday to confirm what I am explaining here...

Gert, that stock looks like a lot of work. Do you have access to Boyd Stocks? I used one for my grandkid's gun that has a thumb-hole in it.
I much prefer to have the inletting done before any outside shaping is done so for me that is going about it backwards

I much prefer to have the inletting done before any outside shaping is done so for me that is going about it backwards
Von Gruff, I will do some reading on all your rifle stock builds to serve a a guide for me...if I can get this stock to look and feel like the example I want to copy...it would be just great...(y)(y)(y)

Good members, I fit an old rifle barrel to the action, a smaller diameter and thinner than the heavy sportster profile I bought with Butch Lambert`s assistance from Shilen..( thank you again Butch, it is much, much appreciated..) This enable me to commence with in-letting yesterday. Some photos, I will be working this coming week on the in-letting and completion of the stock..
full
full
full
full

The inletting process is very theroputic and is a nice relaxing way to spend the day (or two)

Von Gruff, I agree, I like taking things slowly..although I am going to mill away most of the wood , there will be enough slow going work left to do..what blacken flame are you using when doing the in letting???What liquid? Parafien?

I use a lamp wick Gert. I took the wick holder from a lantern and put it on a small tin with kerosene. Let the smoke smudge the metal and it transfers well onto the wood. Easy to remove from the metal after it has been applied a number of time to save from build up on the parts that are not in contact giving a false reading.

You can se the little copper tags I pop riveted to the tin top so the wick holder twists under them the same way as on the lantern. I blow it out when not using it so the wick is kept at the best length to smoke (rather than winding it down) and the holder can be returned to the lantern for continued use as a light source when needed.
inletting smoker.png

smoker in use.png

While busy with this project I was thinking what type of scope to fit to the 6.5 X 55 Swedish Mauser? What good clear quality scope will be functional on this rifle?? I really would appreciate suggestions from hunters who have this caliber and use it to hunt with it as well as doing paper patching at life size game animals at their hunting /shooting club days...the longest shots/table is 300 meters when we shoot on these days ...(y)(y)

Gert, my Swedes wear several different scopes. The one I use most often has a 2.5 -8 Leupold, although it generally is set a 4 power. The majority of the guns that have been "given" to my grandkids have "old" Weaver K 4s that were made in El Paso Texas. I really like how that combination looks. Somehow it just seems right. I have one with a Nikon 3-9 with BDC just in case longer shots are required.

I use a Zeiss 3-12x56 Victory T* for the last daylight/night hunting, red fox/roe deer and capercaillie. Sometimes I use a QD w AimPoint H2 for moose hunt at close range or other driven hunts. (Have a Sako AV). No problem w point of impact.

Thank you Shootist, 9.3x57 , I was thinking of keeping to the Weaver scopes since I have the Weaver Grand slam 5-20 x 50 for the 8x68S...I would like a Weaver 3-12 x 50 if such a scope is available or near these magnification for the 300 meter shoots...(y)(y)

Or maybe a Minox 3-9 x 50 would be good clear glass for shots up to 300 meters??

Gert,to each his own. I much prefer a 40 mm scope on my 6.5s. I think those large objective lens scopes look out of place.
Shootist, you are correct..I need to keep in mind my aim is to keep the stock , slender , light weight and classical..a 40mm objective lense will be the way to go....(y)(y)(y) then I thing a good scope with magnification of 3-12 x 40 will be just fine ...still looking at Minox..it is a great brand..(y)

another vote for the 2.5-8 Leupod. I have one on my 6.5x57 and it is the lightest "good glass" I coud find to keep my rifle ight and trim. like Art, my scope is usually set on the lower powers and only use the 8 power at the range.

Good , this is what I have so far :
Minox 4-12 x 40 BDC reticle or Plex for $240
or
Minox 3-9 x 40 BDC or Plex reticle

or
Minox 3.5 - 10 x 50 duplex reticle

Which one for the 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser?

My vote would be for the 3-9 x 40, whether BDC or Plex. My BDC requires the scope to be set a 8 power when my preferred setting is 4. So for that reason alone I'd choose the Plex and learn the "hold overs" for up to 300 yds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlessdiuse

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg