Survey : Your Favorite Factory Loaded Ammunition

I'm in the process of making a transition from Swift A-Frames to Barnes TSX and TTSX.
My reasoning is that a lead-free world is coming...no matter how little sense it makes...it's coming.
Fortunately my 300WM, 375H&H and 416RM all shoot factory TSX/TTSX loads very well.
I only have Barnes Banded Solids for the 416RM and they shoot to the same POI as the TSX.

For the record
Softs - Barnes TSX/TTSX
Solids - Barnes Banded Solids

Mostly roll my own...but if in need of factory loads...

Soft - Swift factory loads with A-Frames is 1st choice. If not available in a caliber I need I go with either Norma loaded with Oryx or Nosler loaded with Partitions.

Solid - Federal loaded with Sledgehammer.

just my 2 cents

My two favorite expanding factory loads are Federal Premium Trophy Bonded Bear Claws and Nosler Custom ammo with the tried and true Nosler Partition. I have never used a solid for hunting so I'll leave that answer to those who have.

Soft: Nosler ABLR’s in either nosler ammo or Winchester.
But I’m starting to like HSM berger VLD’s

solid: no experience yet. I would be returning from Namibia right this very moment after a Hippo and PG hunt with my family. Instead I’m going to shoot all the ammo I bought for the hunt over the next month (and then some!).

the ABLR is essentially a boat tail nosler accubond.

Anything in the Federal Premium line. I think of the big 3 brands, Federal by far has the most consistent quality control. The Winchester company (once the premium big box brand) ranges from inconsistant junk to dangerous junk as I have seen extremely deep seated bullets come out of their boxes a few years ago.

One brand, one bullet - give me Federal Premium Partitions

I am now using mostly Barnes loaded ammunition. I am no longer loading solids unless going after elephant. I am using Hornady ELDX as well since it is the only factory ammo for 6.5 and .300 PRC.

Anything in the Federal Premium line. I think of the big 3 brands, Federal by far has the most consistent quality control. The Winchester company (once the premium big box brand) ranges from inconsistant junk to dangerous junk as I have seen extremely deep seated bullets come out of their boxes a few years ago.

"Big three brands?" - RWS, Norma, and perhaps Federal. "Big" in my world means consistent, reliable, accurate, and effective. Remington and Winchester need not apply.

"Big three brands?" - RWS, Norma, and perhaps Federal. "Big" in my world means consistent, reliable, accurate, and effective. Remington and Winchester need not apply.
Personally, I've stopped using Federal unless I can find it for target use for cheap.
The biggest reason is availability of what I'm looking for.
Like 373H&H Woodleigh Hydros that were unavailable for more than 3 years from the factory.
Even the TBBC and Sledgehammer have been spotty in the safari calibers.
You can't shoot what you don't have and inconsistent production schedules are unacceptable to me.
It's a shame, because these are good bullets and were loaded to a high quality standard.

Sticking with Barnes bullets loaded by Barnes as my #1.
#1a would be Swift bullets loaded by Swift...but Barnes shoots better for me.

Personally, I've stopped using Federal unless I can find it for target use for cheap.
The biggest reason is availability of what I'm looking for.
Like 373H&H Woodleigh Hydros that were unavailable for more than 3 years from the factory.
Even the TBBC and Sledgehammer have been spotty in the safari calibers.
You can't shoot what you don't have and inconsistent production schedules are unacceptable to me.
It's a shame, because these are good bullets and were loaded to a high quality standard.

Sticking with Barnes bullets loaded by Barnes as my #1.
#1a would be Swift bullets loaded by Swift...but Barnes shoots better for me.
I have noticed that some of the Federal ammo that I like is often hard to find and price can vary by as much as $80 a box for 416 Rigby TBBC or Swift A-Frame, depending on where you buy it.
Anybody know why Federal doesn't keep a supply out in the market place on a more consistent basis?

I have noticed that some of the Federal ammo that I like is often hard to find and price can vary by as much as $80 a box for 416 Rigby TBBC or Swift A-Frame, depending on where you buy it.
Anybody know why Federal doesn't keep a supply out in the market place on a more consistent basis?
When I first saw your post, I thought you were saying $80 for a box of TBBC.
Glad I read it again.

I've had several email conversations with people at Federal.
Been told over and over again that the ammo will be available by (insert date here).
It has NEVER happened.
Wether they were just lying to me or they were being lied to then telling me...
Doesn't change the fact that it's unavailable.

The reality is that the safari industry is but a niche for them.
They make their money on 9mm, 45ACP, 40S&W, 223REM, 308WIN and 6.5CM.
I doubt anyone there is loosing sleep over what is said on AH.
Let alone any email from me about safari caliber offerings.

When I first saw your post, I thought you were saying $80 for a box of TBBC.
Glad I read it again.

I've had several email conversations with people at Federal.
Been told over and over again that the ammo will be available by (insert date here).
It has NEVER happened.
Wether they were just lying to me or they were being lied to then telling me...
Doesn't change the fact that it's unavailable.

The reality is that the safari industry is but a niche for them.
They make their money on 9mm, 45ACP, 40S&W, 223REM, 308WIN and 6.5CM.
I doubt anyone there is loosing sleep over what is said on AH.
Let alone any email from me about safari caliber offerings.
I just bought 2 boxes of Federal Swift A-Frame 416 Rigby online at $183 per box of 20. My local store here in Dallas also has it but they have it priced at $283 per box of 20. $100 difference! Couldn't find any Federal TBBC in 416 Rigby.

I just bought 2 boxes of Federal Swift A-Frame 416 Rigby online at $183 per box of 20. My local store here in Dallas also has it but they have it priced at $283 per box of 20. $100 difference! Couldn't find any Federal TBBC in 416 Rigby.
MidwayUSA is selling 416RIGBY SAF's loaded by Swift for $160.
I've always had good results with Swift loaded ammo.

So it's a slightly general question but if I could only do one brand of factory ammo it would be Barnes Vor-Tx. That leaves out a solid but as others have said besides elephant what's the real need?

Are there better bullets for DG? Probably. But, not alway easy to find in a factory load. Back when you could get many different bullets from Federal they would have been my choice, but alas that day is gone.

I handload though just so I can have my choice of what I really want. For DG that means aframe or NF. For smaller caliber usually Barnes, and sometimes with loads that aren't available from the factory, such as my 180 grain ttsx load for .300 wsm.

Norma Oryx is the one for me, no matter what caliber as long as its on the heavy side of that caliber.
No use for solids yet.

270 Weatherby Magnum 150g Nosler Partitions 3250 fps (Weatherby Ammunition)

375 H&H Remington Premier Safari Grade Ammunition (300g A-Frames)

500 Jeffery Jamison brass, Federal 215 primers, 103g H4895, Barnes 570g TSX, 2300 fps

My favorite factory ammo are the ones that shoot accurately out of a rifle. Core Lokt, Federal,Barnes,Swift. I’ve used boutique ammo too from Double Tapp. And I intend to try others. I’ll try anything that’s not crappy low budget ammo. I’ve come to truly dislike the Russian crap and will never shoot them again. I reload for my 325wsm. Eventually I’ll likely reload for all my others. Favorites are impossible for me. Perhaps I’ll just skip answering these favorites questions. It’s tough on me and more likely tougher for folks to read-lol.

Off the Shelf.... Barnes TTSX. Boutique style ammo... Double Tap & Black Hills, both primo. Just select calibers, not all readily available. Shotgun shells..... BOSS

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg