Suggestions for a crossbow

No matter what xbow you get, I recommend NAP spitfire broadheads. This is the blood trail about 2 yards from the arrow from the doe I shot last night. It didn't go far, lol.

IMG_20160916_191715191.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn... that looks like a can of paint spilled!

I had a pretty good downward angle but I had to take a picture of it. Pretty much the whole blood trail was like that. The deer made it just out of eyesight range (maybe 45 yards) from where I was hunting. I was surprised it went that far.

very impressive that the animal can walk that far without blood...

Hey All, I bumped this up as I am in the market for a crossbow due to my shoulder surgery and I have been issued a permit to hunt with a crossbow. Things have changed over the last few years with crossbows so I am looking for any information to point me in the right direction. I am probably looking for a bow that has an integral crank cocking device as I wont be able to pull the rope cocker for some time. Any opinions appreciated.

My daughter shoots a Excalibur Micro Axe 340, purchased online via Wyvern Creations. Good selection, service, pricing & no sales tax! :)

I have been shooting crossbows on elk for several years, Have shot or owned most of the high end
units. I have two ravens and they are death on elk. Have shot bulls and cows and never had one go
more than 100yds most its 20-30. The newest 10 Point is close, but the Ravens have been outstanding since they came out. The two I have are identical R25 sniper versions, (one for my and one for daughter). Monday I ordered a new R500E, Hopefully will have by Monday as elk archery season here opens Sept 1, not sure I'll have enough time to set it up?
A friend just got a TenPoint RS470, I haven't had a chance to shoot it, but looks like a tank.
I much prefer the more conventional compound of the Raven then the Tenpoint, just easier to carry in the trees or on a horse!

Hey All, I bumped this up as I am in the market for a crossbow due to my shoulder surgery and I have been issued a permit to hunt with a crossbow. Things have changed over the last few years with crossbows so I am looking for any information to point me in the right direction. I am probably looking for a bow that has an integral crank cocking device as I wont be able to pull the rope cocker for some time. Any opinions appreciated.
Ten point is a very goog crossbow. I bought one years ago, the top of the line as a package for $1700.00. They are expensive but worth the money. It comes with hand rotating crank and takes very little effort.
Krish

They have RS470 on sale at midway. Wow it is an expensive crossbow.
Krish

Reactions: cls
You should see the price in Canadian pesos

Thanks guys, looking at a tenpoint/wicked ridge or maybe a center point. Would an integral hand crank be better than removable hand crank?

Thanks guys, looking at a tenpoint/wicked ridge or maybe a center point. Would an integral hand crank be better than removable hand crank?
Glad you are looking at a crossbow. The integral crank is not really important until you drop your crank out of a tree blind at first light, or forget to pack it in your bag for the day. Good luck - all your choices are good ones.

My Excaliber is dead accurate as far as you would want to shoot a crossbow.

Many Xbows have terrible triggers. A solid rest from a tree-stand will help. If your hunting style is different, trigger quality is paramount. Two of the principal causes of poor shooting are asymmetrical cocking, and poor follow through. A cocking device will eliminate the former, and a good trigger will help with the latter. I have taken about 15 animals in the 23 years I have crossbow hunted. My Excalibur was wonderfully accurate. I took only one antelope buck with it. It was loud and had a very heavy trigger pull. Top of the line 10 Points have relatively good triggers. Many models fall in between. Let us know what you choose and how it works for you....................FWB

Reactions: cls
Not a fan of the tenpoints. The scope mounting arrangement left me with much to be desired.

#1 Choice if you have $2500 to spend. Ravin R29X Sniper package with the jackplate.

#2 Choice if you have $1200 to spend. Ravin R10. Their oldest, slowest model has proven to be the most accurate and most reliable of all of them.

#3 Choice for honorable mention. Scorpyd reverse draw crossbows, made in Iowa, USA, are high quality, highly efficient crossbows but nowhere near as compact as a Ravin. The deathstalker is a great bow.

My kids have been hunting deer with Ravins and Scorpyds since they were 6 years old. Very, very accurate and a perfect tool for new hunters and those of use with health issues that preclude using a vertical bow. The Ravin R29X is small enough you can reasonably expect to spot and stalk with it whereas that is largely impractical with all the other choices.

Excaliber 420??

Excaliber 420??

Not as accurate or portable as the ones I listed, @IvW , but hands-down the most reliable and easiest to service crossbow on the market today. All the crossbow geeks I know own an excaliber as a backup crossbow for use when their $4000 primary crossbow breaks. (and they do, they are all disposable items that degrade with use...never target practice with one for more arrows than is required to be confident as you're just destroying it)

I guess I would go with reliable....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Efren35C00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross