Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
Hunted
Zimbabwe,Namibia, South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
I have given some consideration to purchasing a crossbow over the last couple of years. It seems that there are constant innovations coming along. Some of the new stuff is Greek to me as I am not a bow hunter as of today. I would want a crossbow to use for deer and hog hunting here in the US.
I would appreciate thoughts from fellow AH members as to what one should look for and ask for in a crossbow. Thank you in advance!

Go TenPoint, I have killed over 20 deer And a bear with it over the last 2 years. Thing is a tack driver and you won't regret it.

Go TenPoint, I have killed over 20 deer And a bear with it over the last 2 years. Thing is a tack driver and you won't regret it.

Thank you sir! Sounds like it has done it's job for you. Is there a specific model?

I have used one a few times during special drawing hunts. They are a deer killing machine because your body movement has been made 50-60 yards away rather than 20-30 yards with a regular compound - they just don't see you.

They are loud (especially the recurves), I wouldn't shoot an alert deer past 30 yards and a relaxed deer past 40.

My dad has had great service from Parker the past 10 years. So much so, I have just bought a Parker Thunderhawk since our deer hunting regulations have changed this year.

Lifetime warrenty and made in America.

Double check your local regs; I doubt it but some states may have laws about pistolgrips and the like. Pretty much all the models nowadays are pistolgrip thumbhole stocks though.

I know a fellow member used a Scorpyd in Africa on everything from plains game to Cape Buffalo. They are pricey however they will shoot accurately to 100 yards.

I have used one a few times during special drawing hunts. They are a deer killing machine because your body movement has been made 50-60 yards away rather than 20-30 yards with a regular compound - they just don't see you.

They are loud (especially the recurves), I wouldn't shoot an alert deer past 30 yards and a relaxed deer past 40.

My dad has had great service from Parker the past 10 years. So much so, I have just bought a Parker Thunderhawk since our deer hunting regulations have changed this year.

Lifetime warrenty and made in America.

Double check your local regs; I doubt it but some states may have laws about pistolgrips and the like. Pretty much all the models nowadays are pistolgrip thumbhole stocks though.

I know a fellow member used a Scorpyd in Africa on everything from plains game to Cape Buffalo. They are pricey however they will shoot accurately to 100 yards.

I like the idea of the lifetime warranty curtism

Ridge top I've heard that they are amazingly accurate and deadly. Getting one would extend my hunting season on deer.

So many companies have really stepped up their crossbow quality recently. Ten Point and Excaliber are both just fine!

So many companies have really stepped up their crossbow quality recently. Ten Point and Excaliber are both just fine!

This is what I keep hearing. One of my friends bought a crossbow recently and he is nailing targets sixty yards out. My hope is that I can get some good ideas as to which one to get. I have also heard that some of the companies have merged and as such some of the named products are essentially the same.

Yeah most crossbows, even the Second tier model of any company (for example their $399 model is quite capable)

I have a Horton (older model) was their middle of three options at the time, and it shoots quite well. If I practice enough with it I am quite comfortable shooting 50-60 yards. I shot a mule deer at 68 yards a few years back. However usually I try to limit the shots to 40-50 yards

The forty to fifty seems to be what people say you should limit your shots to.

Yeah 40-50 is the comfortable range, the 68 yarder on the mule deer was an exception (good rest and a heck of a deer)

Could probably use one on those big North Carolina Black bears.

Yeah most crossbows, even the Second tier model of any company (for example their $399 model is quite capable)

I second reedy. My $299/4 year-old crossbow is a killing machine ... in fact the damn thing is actually too fast and too flat. I am a single crosshairs out to 40 yards (the scope has 4 cross hairs ... I don't shoot further than that ... so I don't know the other distances). I hunt out of a pop-up blind for deer and hogs and don't need any of the purported bells and whistles. I won't spend the money on the newest greatest unless I was going to do some serious spot and stalk. I do see some advantage to the narrow "backward" designs as they seem to be lighter and better balanced for off-hand and obstructed shots.

Thanks for the Input Scott. I know there are a lot of bells available out there but I wouldn't know what Im Looking at just yet.

Thank you sir! Sounds like it has done it's job for you. Is there a specific model?

I got the Turbo XLT II, I did not get the accurate, I got the pull ropes. The 3 biggest factors for me were speed, width and weight. I have to qualify offhanded every year for a hunt club I am part of so weight in those shoots becomes a big deal. The width plays a big factor in a tree stand or blind. And speed kills. Their scopes are great as well. I have not found a flaw with mine yet.

I got the Turbo XLT II, I did not get the accurate, I got the pull ropes. The 3 biggest factors for me were speed, width and weight. I have to qualify offhanded every year for a hunt club I am part of so weight in those shoots becomes a big deal. The width plays a big factor in a tree stand or blind. And speed kills. Their scopes are great as well. I have not found a flaw with mine yet.

Thank you for the additional thoughts sir!

Charlie I use the Ten Point. Pictures attached,easy to use, draw and deadly.

IMG_20160907_1552063.jpg
IMG_20160907_1552118.jpg
IMG_20160907_1552156.jpg

Thank you for sharing Pieter. That's two votes so far for Ten Point!

Another tidbit you may not know is crossbows are not designed / intended to be shot a lot. You sight it in, get used to it a little, go hunting, and next year shoot a few more times to make sure the sights are on. You have to replace the strings every 150-200 shots or so. This is not like a compound where you shoot 100 times twice a week in September.

You'll find 10 Point will win the popularity contest hands down (it's the Smith and Wesson of crossbows), followed by Excaliber for the recurve buyers.

As a previous poster said, most brands are going to work fine as long as you spend 600 bucks. I'd avoid Barnett. PSE is probably ok, I've been soured on their sketchy products of the 90's but told they are a good company now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg