Straight pull rifles Re they noisy?

Discussion in 'Firearms & Ammunition' started by CBH Australia, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Red Leg

Red Leg AH ENABLER LIFETIME BRONZE BENEFACTOR AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
    Hunted:
    Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
    Good point. The quietest reload of all is a break open single or double without ejector(s).

Opposite Pole likes this.

2. Philip Glass

Philip Glass AH ENABLER LIFETIME BRONZE BENEFACTOR AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
    Hunted:
    RSA, Namibia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, Zimbabwe, Texas
    The R8 is not loud but it’s a non issue because it can be carried loaded safely as the safety completely disables the firing mechanism.

Red Leg and Opposite Pole like this.

3. CBH Australia

CBH Australia AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Sporting Shooters Association Australia, Africa Hunting website!!!
    Hunted:
    Australia
    Yeah its just a conversation point. I have a Rem 700 a few Tikkas and i agree the click comes when the cartridge clicks out of the mag.
    I would have started a weekend debate but ive been fighting bushfires.
    Heres a point Europtic got a mention regarding those things Red Leg 6 likes but in Australia the Europtic i found online (Adelaide) sell Strasser. I will check them out sometime.
    I have a suspicion the Australian company Lightforce who own Nightforce optics may own the Europtic store.
    Funny that, Strasser seem to promote Nightforce.

4. Forrest Halley

Forrest Halley AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    This I find an interesting thread. How many folks actually stalk with an empty chamber? I think we are definitely driving the difficulty level up quite a bit. There's a lot being asked of the rifle to accomplish with sensitive ears scanning. I often use a finger on both sides of the safety on a loaded chamber to remove it as quietly as possible. Difficult for me to imagine an unloaded firearm on a hunt. How common is this and how required?

CoElkHunter, Jfet and Red Leg like this.

5. Red Leg

Red Leg AH ENABLER LIFETIME BRONZE BENEFACTOR AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
    Hunted:
    Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
    On many African hunts the real dangerous game animal is a biped walking behind the PH's shoulder blades. As you might imagine, not all their clients are the most experienced on the planet at handling firearms. Many PH's will require their client to keep the chamber unloaded until they are in proximity of the game animal. Hard to blame them when every year seemingly someone gets shot by their client. I agree, I don't like it either, and I would not do it on a dangerous game hunt. But on PG it frankly doesn't matter 99.9% of the time. Of course with a Blaser or Krieghoff it is not an issue for either party.

Fastrig, ack, BeeMaa and 1 other person like this.

6. Jfet

Jfet AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Outdoor Tomorrow Foundation,NRA, Life Member DSC
    Hunted:
    Texas, Oklahoma, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Namibia, South Africa, and Now Spain
    I am a luddite when it comes to my knowledge of rifles, actions, and ballistics. I learn a great deal every time I read such a thread.

This statement below jumps out at me:

I am willing to bet that not only do they not know what they own but they may not be properly trained in firearm safety. The Blaser and Krieghoff have definitely improved on firearm safety. However, there are many people that read this thread and may not have a grasp on firearm safety. Yes the decocking system should make it impossible the fire the rifle. However, I know people that could figure out a way to get the rifle to fire. So the following always applies regardless of the firearm you are holding.

1. Point the barrel in a safe direction at all times.
    2. Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot.
    3. All safeties whether decocking or traditional are mechanical devices that are doomed to fail.
    4. Treat all firearms as if they are loaded.

Now back to the discussion.

My daughter-in-law has a R8. It is very nice. I have shot it one time and had to step away because I would have had to go buy one. I could not make the economics work with the CFO (aka Princess Bride) because I had just bought a VC .470 NE.(y)(y)(y)

ack, CBH Australia and BeeMaa like this.

7. Forrest Halley

Forrest Halley AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    I see where you are coming from now and appreciate the explanation. I would have difficulty doing it. Maybe it's a trust thing. I'll just kindly not point my muzzle at folks that aren't pointing theirs at me.

CBH Australia and Jfet like this.

8. BeeMaa

BeeMaa AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, SCI
    Hunted:
    Eastern US & RSA
    Hunting with the chamber loaded or unloaded...it depends.
    Your PH is in charge of EVERYTHING, including the safety of the client, staff and himself.

On my first stalk with TJ, the chamber was unloaded until we got close and I asked if I could chamber a round.
    He said yes, I did and immediately put the safety back on until I was ready to take the shot.
    After the animal was down, without being asked, I removed the round from the chamber and put it back in the magazine.
    He looked at me as I did it and said that most clients need to be told to do so.
    That evening at dinner I asked if I could load a round when we got off the truck and put the saftey on, he said that would be fine.
    He was comfortable with both of us and our good safety habits/practices.
    For the rest of the safari the chamber was loaded when we got off the truck.

The point is I asked if it would be OK with him, I didn't tell him anything.
    If he had said no, I would have been fine with that as well.

Side note...
    Muzzle discipline is also carefully watched.
    Sweep your PH/tracker/who ever with your muzzle and there will be a talk happening shortly.

9. Kawshik Rahman

Kawshik Rahman AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Screenshot_20191030-043202_01_01.png
    My straight pull ISSC Austrian bolt operation rifle calibrated for magnum .22 rim fire. It certainly does the work for Chital deer and Sambhar deer with shots to the neck region . It is not very noisy to operate either ( for my purposes , at any rate ). It is the SPA model.

ack and gesch like this.

10. CoElkHunter

CoElkHunter AH Fanatic

Great question! For the last thirty years hunting deer and elk in the mountains of Colorado and Wyoming in all sorts of terrain, the only time I didn’t have a cartridge chambered was in the rifle scabbard on a horse and/or in the truck or back at camp? I’ve not been to Africa yet, but of course would abide by the rules of the PH on a hunt. I DO NOT like the idea of carrying a rifle over one’s shoulder with the barrel pointed at someone’s back! I don’t care if they think the rifle chamber is unloaded or not! I’ll be at the rear of the hunting party in that case with my rifle carried over my shoulder with a leather, military style sling, if allowed to do so?

Kawshik Rahman likes this.