Still worth buying a 338 WinMag if I own a 375?

You’re only missing a .35 WHELEN! Don’t let Townsend @Bob Nelson 35Whelen see your missing link in cartridges. Ha! Ha!
@CoElkHunter
Mate @JimP is a man of pure class. He owns a 25-06 and a 348.
The 348 is a very potent round. It was impossible to get one in Australia so I settled for the next step up the Whelen.
Yes you have a 25-06 but until you sell or give away that 338 and get a 35 you will only be half classy.
Bob

I figure at my age I am close to being done buying rifles.

I'm trying to work a deal on a 50-110 right now but the seller doesn't want to budge.
@JimP
Make him an offer he can't refuse.
If he sells it to you you won't have to prize it out of his hand when you shoot him.
Ha ha ha ha ha
Bob

@JimP
Make him an offer he can't refuse.
If he sells it to you you won't have to prize it out of his hand when you shoot him.
Ha ha ha ha ha
Bob
I think that if I let his wife know what I am willing to part with she just might make the deal for him.

The big stumbling block is that he doesn't want cash but some other goods that I have.

@CoElkHunter
Mate @JimP is a man of pure class. He owns a 25-06 and a 348.
The 348 is a very potent round. It was impossible to get one in Australia so I settled for the next step up the Whelen.
Yes you have a 25-06 but until you sell or give away that 338 and get a 35 you will only be half classy.
Bob
Yes, unlike me @JimP is a man of exceptional class. He wields his .340 Weatherby like most mortals do with their Creedmoors. If I could find a way to get you a .348 Bob, I would do it in a heartbeat! Never say never.!

I think that if I let his wife know what I am willing to part with she just might make the deal for him.

The big stumbling block is that he doesn't want cash but some other goods that I have.
@JimP
Stuff it just shoot him, his wife will thank you when she gets his life insurance and just give you the rifle.
Win win.
Bob

Yes, unlike me @JimP is a man of exceptional class. He wields his .340 Weatherby like most mortals do with their Creedmoors. If I could find a way to get you a .348 Bob, I would do it in a heartbeat! Never say never.!
@CoElkHunter
Problem is the 340 Weatherby is just a glorified 338WM.
Still not a 35.
Bob

Sorry Bob but comparing the 340 to a Whelan is like a 220 swift to a hornet.
@K95
Ken the 35 will never match the 340 but it is still just a 338.
I don't like getting beat up now so the Whelen does me just fine.
For long range smack the 340 is great but I just don't need that much for what I hunt.
I find the recoil of the 338WM to be rather sharp compared to the Whelen. Must just be getting old.
Bob

@K95
Ken the 35 will never match the 340 but it is still just a 338.
I don't like getting beat up now so the Whelen does me just fine.
For long range smack the 340 is great but I just don't need that much for what I hunt.
I find the recoil of the 338WM to be rather sharp compared to the Whelen. Must just be getting old.
Bob I find when a 338 kicks it’s because of two reasons it’s either to light in weight or it is a poor fitting stock. A 250 gr projectile either in a Whelan or a 338 doing the same speed in the same weight rifle will recoil the same . We carn’t change the laws of physics, I believe it comes down to the correct weight and a comfortable stock fit.

@K95
My wheken is 9.5 pounds field ready with scope full mag and sling. The stock fits me nicely. I can shoot 30 rounds off the bench no problems.
Thes last 338 I shot was the same weight the stock was a reasonable fit (win model 70) I I reckon the recoil tho aparrently similar was a lot sharper. The Whelen doesn't seem as snappy to me.
A bi like the recoil of the 270 feels sharper than the 06. Must be something to do with the recoil velocity not the foot pounds.
Bob

I've lately been drawn to the 338WM as a more long range option for taking elk-sized game. I already own a 375H&H, is the 338WM unique enough to own as well?

it looks like the 375 produces about 10% more muzzle energy and while a flat shooter, is outperformed by the 338s higher BCs the further you reach out.

would you pick up a rifle in 338WM if you currently owned a 375?
I just want to ensure since you said higher BC .338 bullets that we are comparing apples to apples. With the advent of the .375 Cheytac, the .375 has plenty of nice slick high BC bullets at and around 300-330 grains. Turning the velocity up a little in your .375 H&H with modern powders there is no reason why it cannot surpass the .338 WM. The only limiter I see in this is the barrel twist 1:12" as at some point you will lose stabilization of the monster long bullets. I'm not afraid to load long and maybe single load for long range and have a nice magazine full of accubonds following up if needed. The reports from the long range shooters are favorable to stabilize up to 350 grains with good reports given on accubonds to 800 yards. Look at Mark and Sam After work. They did a nice video on .375 H&H for long range. How far are you looking to go?

In regards to ammo, i agree with the poster that said if you can find 338 win with 225 gr ttsx, buy it immediately. I had been looking for some factory load boxes for MONTHS for an upcoming moose hunt in newfoundland. no one has it. Called barnes and they said they haven't been able to get the brass for months. I believe federal makes a factory load for the 225 gr ttsx too, but if my recollection of my research is right, it was noticably ballistically inferior to the barnes load.

I finally did find a couple boxes on GB a few weeks ago at a relatively reasonable price. I'd have a preferred a 3rd box if i could've found it.

Hell YES! Get a 338 or preferably at 340 WM. Load it with 185 Grain Bullets and you have a tremendous long range gun. Load it with 275 Swift A-Frame and you have a great Brown Bear or Plains Game gun for the bigger stuff like Eland. I think it is one of the most versatile calibers on the market! Recoil shy, back off on the powder a bit....

Hell YES! Get a 338 or preferably at 340 WM. Load it with 185 Grain Bullets and you have a tremendous long range gun. Load it with 275 Swift A-Frame and you have a great Brown Bear or Plains Game gun for the bigger stuff like Eland. I think it is one of the most versatile calibers on the market! Recoil shy, back off on the powder a bit....
@ftrovato
Forget the 338WM snd the 340.
Get a 35 Whelen. Load it with 225gn bullets and you have a great long range gun.
Load it with 275gn or 310 gn and you have a greatbrown bear rifle or eland, remember Elmer took his world record bear with a Whelen and 275 grainers.
Load it with 250s and you have a great all round rifle.
No need to to back off the powder for the recoil shy as it pleasant to shoot even at full power.
Bob

Yes the 340 Wea is a great cartridge. I have used one for over 30 years and a great fan just like our lost old mate Bruce from Western Australia. He too also favored the 9.3 x64 Breneke.

Even better is 375 wby. In a pinch you can shoot a 375 h&h cartridge in it. For long range it can shoot a 300gr bullets at about 2850 ft/sec. 5k foot pounds of energy for DG. OR YOU CAN SHOOT 250 GRAINER OR 270 GRAINER.
KRISH

Agree! I own a pretty lightweight (7.5 lbs with scope) Rem XCR II in 375 Weatherby Magnum. I shoot 300g A-frames at 2800 fps. Recoil is not bad at all.

IMHO, the only reason one can't use a proper .338 caliber for MOST if not all DG in Africa is because there were no .338 caliber rifles when the ancient African hunting regulations requiring a .375 or larger were written. The bullets back in the day were very marginal at best and I'm sure a lot of wounded animals were the norm of the day. One CAN hunt DG in some African countries today with a bow/crossbow, but not a .338. Go figure? Their minimum caliber with proper muzzle energy needs to be updated in my opinion.
I feel like 338 and up in addition to 4,000 ft-lbs at the muzzle would be a good base line to start at for dangerous game. For Buffalo anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boob415

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.