Standards For Trophies

Discussion in 'Judging Trophies' started by Guster, Feb 12, 2015.

1. Guster

Guster AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Thanks for the feedback!!!!!!!!!

2. Diamondhitch

Diamondhitch AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    Canada (AB, SK, NWT, BC) USA (NM, TX) South Africa (Limpopo, KZN, Free State, Eastern Cape, Northen Cape), Kyrgyzstan, Czech Republic
    A good PH should and from my experience can judge game as well as some can judge native game back home. Having said that a close estimate should be expected, 3/4" is certainly a close estimate.

3. Diamondhitch

Diamondhitch AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    Canada (AB, SK, NWT, BC) USA (NM, TX) South Africa (Limpopo, KZN, Free State, Eastern Cape, Northen Cape), Kyrgyzstan, Czech Republic
    One of the first things I was taught as a sheep guide was "always keep an inch in your pocket". Simply put tell your hunter 1 inch less than you think for that very reason mentioned. If the animal is 1/2" bigger you are a good guide, 1" you are a hero, 1/4" short and you are an A-hole in the eyes of some. Even from 400+ yards.
    Of course over here there is no shopping, you get one tag, once you pull the trigger it is yours no questions asked. (the game warden will have the last word in that argument).

bluey, Warbird782 and Royal27 like this.

4. Scott Slough

Scott Slough AH Fanatic

Member of:
    SCI, Pineywoods SCI, NAHC, TTH
    Hunted:
    USA, South Africa (Eastern Cape)
    Words to live by!

5. Velo Dog

Velo Dog AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member.
    Hunted:
    South Africa 3 times, Namibia 2 times, USA - most western states including Alaska and Hawaii.
    My same question regarding the use of light rifles on heavy animals raises it's ugly head again here, on the subject of tape measures : "What's the point"? (in agonizing over a millimeter here and a fraction of an inch there)
    Seems like that is all so tedious, exhausting and too distracting from the otherwise great and honorable pleasure of hunting.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
    caddman, bluey and shuter like this.

6. shuter

shuter AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Oregon, Montana
    And the more "experienced" we become (not in hunting terms, but in life generally), the more this holds true in so many areas...

Velo Dog likes this.

7. caddman

caddman AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI AFGA DU AHEIA
    Hunted:
    Canada-BC,AB,Sk,QB USA-NM,KS Namibia
    Congratulations, I expect the science does stand behind this approach. This whole subject brings to light an important conversation that a hunter needs to have up front with a PH. I really doubt a PH could come up with a satisfying enough for me to not shoot a 60" Kudu. If ever fortunate enough to see one I expect my trigger finger would be much faster than some on the spot conversation over age or any other factor for that matter. Would definitely need to have that conversation up front, prior to hunting.

You would be pleased to know that I did I take a 12-13yr old Gemsbok. I won't tell you I took it due to its age class but certainly pleased it worked out that way. It's wore down to barely 24" long but the 7 1/4" bases did make it stand out from the rest. Just doing my part for conservation
    I hope a really old Leopard shows himself in August. I would like to do my part for conservation again!

8. caddman

caddman AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI AFGA DU AHEIA
    Hunted:
    Couldn't agree more! There is lots of time for numerical measuring long after the hunt is over. More important measurements of success/failure while hunting, and you don't require a tape for them!

Velo Dog likes this.

9. Dragan N.

Dragan N. AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Jaco,
    But how do you reliably judge the difference between a mature animal in its prime and a mature animal past its prime/breeding? Until you actually look at the teeth of the animal, presence or absence of fused sutures on the skull/bones or send a tooth in for aging you can't really be sure of the age just from looking at the animal from afar. Unless of course it is a really old animal that is in really bad shape i.e. severely underweight because it can't eat, or has an other wise "sickly" appearance.

Like say lets use a leopard for an example, how would you tell the difference between a mature in its prime tom leopard vs. a post prime tom?

10. caddman

caddman AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI AFGA DU AHEIA
    Hunted:
    Diddo on the Leopard aging? I would sure like to know.

11. AfricaHunting.com

AfricaHunting.com AH ENABLER FOUNDER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:

12. caddman

caddman AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI AFGA DU AHEIA
    Hunted:
    Thanks Jerome! I guess that's why you get the big bucks:)

13. Dragan N.

Dragan N. AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Thanks a lot for the link to the thread! However I tried clicking on the hyperlink to the pdf: Leopard Aging Test and to the Leopard Aging Test Sheet and I got the following message for both AfricaHunting.com- Error The requested page could not be found.

14. AfricaHunting.com

AfricaHunting.com AH ENABLER FOUNDER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Thx fixed. You can also find them at the bottom of the post as attached documents.