Spypoint has gone mad

Pheroze

AH ambassador
Joined
Jul 6, 2013
Messages
5,574
Reaction score
9,982
Location
Ontario
Media
100
Articles
32
Hunting reports
Africa
2
USA/Canada
6
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
South Africa, Canada, USA
My camp is a good 1800kms from my home. So, I invested in a couple of Spypoint trail cameras. One of them has started taking pictures every few hours, randomly, an example:

spypoint.jpg


Other than the really depressing insight that there isn't a single print in that snow, this photo has no reason for being! I will receive these shots until my monthly limit is reached, and then I wait anxiously for the next installment the following month...grrr.

Anyone else experienced this malfunction? I can't see a branch or something that would trigger it. I can't get up there until the summer to deal with it either! Dang.
 
I was thinking it could be grouse, one frame had what looked like a grouse like blurr. But, it takes photos constantly now and didn't do it before. Got some nice snaps previously. I am concerned that the flash is going to spook off any game from this area. Now, no prints, rabbits or otherwise.

I looked at the spypoint help but it wasn't user friendly and I didn't have time to futz with it. I will try again when I have time.
 
My crew had a half dozen of them and some did the same thing. We had three fail completely just after the warranty ran out. The remaining three are being used but after this season, we are switching over to the Bushnell Cellucores. The plans are cheaper and you get more photos for the minimum plan (2000). I have two myself and they have been working flawlessly and not taking photos of nothing. Bottom line, the Spypoints have just not been reliable.
 
I agree with others who surmise the wind is the cause. Those weeds/sticks are close enough. Wisps of snow as well. They can be a pain.
 
It’s taking beautiful pictures of that fast moving ground cover. A photographic record of windy weather.
Love that glass is half full approach! :)
 
I agree with others who surmise the wind is the cause. Those weeds/sticks are close enough. Wisps of snow as well. They can be a pain.
This is going to be a challenge then because that is probably the most open area I have, next to this kind thing:
20210822_150615.jpg
 
Some cameras have adjustable sensitivity. I know at least one of my spy points does. Far drive to adjust it though!
 
The remaining three are being used but after this season, we are switching over to the Bushnell Cellucores.
I will look at these. I also bought one of the contraptions they have to add cellular to a regular camera. It never worked and is currently sitting in my basement waiting for my attention.
 
This is going to be a challenge then because that is probably the most open area I have, next to this kind thing:
View attachment 448472
Nice!

Yeah it can be a pain but it might be possible to adjust sensitivity and clear all you can away until past the range. Of course one issue for you will be your time interval between visits…darn things tend to grow!
 
I don't have spypoint but run of the mill sd card type they are all junk got plenty of pictures of myself, birds, bugs.lots of long shots but nothing up close.have a whole movie of weeds moving.maybe something is stalking my camera lol.probably a cat.then to top it off my new deer feeder fell over and broke it's high impact plastic ass.bout done with all this unnecessary junk.
 
I feel your pain. I've had to send back 3 spypoints. I won't be buying another.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,300
Messages
1,572,106
Members
169,493
Latest member
CortneyRen
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top