Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
South Africa, Canada, USA
My camp is a good 1800kms from my home. So, I invested in a couple of Spypoint trail cameras. One of them has started taking pictures every few hours, randomly, an example:

spypoint.jpg

Other than the really depressing insight that there isn't a single print in that snow, this photo has no reason for being! I will receive these shots until my monthly limit is reached, and then I wait anxiously for the next installment the following month...grrr.

Anyone else experienced this malfunction? I can't see a branch or something that would trigger it. I can't get up there until the summer to deal with it either! Dang.

I was thinking it could be grouse, one frame had what looked like a grouse like blurr. But, it takes photos constantly now and didn't do it before. Got some nice snaps previously. I am concerned that the flash is going to spook off any game from this area. Now, no prints, rabbits or otherwise.

I looked at the spypoint help but it wasn't user friendly and I didn't have time to futz with it. I will try again when I have time.

It’s taking beautiful pictures of that fast moving ground cover. A photographic record of windy weather.

My crew had a half dozen of them and some did the same thing. We had three fail completely just after the warranty ran out. The remaining three are being used but after this season, we are switching over to the Bushnell Cellucores. The plans are cheaper and you get more photos for the minimum plan (2000). I have two myself and they have been working flawlessly and not taking photos of nothing. Bottom line, the Spypoints have just not been reliable.

I agree with others who surmise the wind is the cause. Those weeds/sticks are close enough. Wisps of snow as well. They can be a pain.

It’s taking beautiful pictures of that fast moving ground cover. A photographic record of windy weather.
Love that glass is half full approach! :)

I agree with others who surmise the wind is the cause. Those weeds/sticks are close enough. Wisps of snow as well. They can be a pain.
This is going to be a challenge then because that is probably the most open area I have, next to this kind thing:
20210822_150615.jpg

Some cameras have adjustable sensitivity. I know at least one of my spy points does. Far drive to adjust it though!

The remaining three are being used but after this season, we are switching over to the Bushnell Cellucores.
I will look at these. I also bought one of the contraptions they have to add cellular to a regular camera. It never worked and is currently sitting in my basement waiting for my attention.

This is going to be a challenge then because that is probably the most open area I have, next to this kind thing:
View attachment 448472
Nice!

Yeah it can be a pain but it might be possible to adjust sensitivity and clear all you can away until past the range. Of course one issue for you will be your time interval between visits…darn things tend to grow!

I don't have spypoint but run of the mill sd card type they are all junk got plenty of pictures of myself, birds, bugs.lots of long shots but nothing up close.have a whole movie of weeds moving.maybe something is stalking my camera lol.probably a cat.then to top it off my new deer feeder fell over and broke it's high impact plastic ass.bout done with all this unnecessary junk.

I feel your pain. I've had to send back 3 spypoints. I won't be buying another.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg