Specifying a double rifle

SWS1

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
So I’ve got the double rifle itch badly. I’ve shot a few different k guns and loved the experience. 500/416 and 470ne.
I live in a part of the world (NZ) where realistically I’m going to hunt Water Buffalo every other year and Cape buffalo are likely to be on the menu the alternative years.
I’d love to have a double and I’m in the position where I can specify something to be made for me and wait a few years for it to come.
470NE is the calibre of choice for me.
What would you specify on the rifle for a lifetime purchase?

Were money no option, I would order a bespoke Rigby rising bite in 500/416. It would run well north of $130 k with a touch of engraving.

I think I’d go Westley over Rigby if spending that much…
However what would you want them to do in terms of rear and front sight, rib etc?
three to four year wait though

A Heym would be more than good enough. Good buff calibers are 450/400 NE and 500/416 NE.
And I would order mine with the ghost ring rear site option.
Spend more on buffalo.....

A Heym would be more than good enough. Good buff calibers are 450/400 NE and 500/416 NE.
And I would order mine with the ghost ring rear site option.
Spend more on buffalo.....
Exactly! Don’t want to eat into the hunting budget!
Anything else you’d specify?

I would go with the new Rigby Shikari boxlock double . They are making an action similar to the large frame Webley which was very popular on their rifles PreWW2 . I have already put down deposit for a 500 NE . They can be customized and will be in your indicated price range . A 3 year wait . I also have a 500NE rising bite - nice but not really a great action - which is really why Rigby stopped making them in 1930s . The resurrection of the rising bite now is more a piece of marketing . A point of difference with others .

Exactly! Don’t want to eat into the hunting budget!
Anything else you’d specify?
K gun would be another as you have used them and like them. The safety is more safe if you like.

The IES system they offer is quite ingenious....some may say it is just another thing that can go wrong but I have never heard of one fail in this department.

I would not go with a bigger than 450/400 or 500/416 NE as a dedicated buffalo rifle. If you mentioned 1 or 2 buff the 375 Flanged Magnum is another option but hunting buffalo every year going forward one of the 400's is a better option.

I would go with the new Rigby Shikari boxlock double . They are making an action similar to the large frame Webley which was very popular on their rifles PreWW2 . I have already put down deposit for a 500 NE . They can be customized and will be in your indicated price range . A 3 year wait . I also have a 500NE rising bite - nice but not really a great action - which is really why Rigby stopped making them in 1930s . The resurrection of the rising bite now is more a piece of marketing . A point of difference with others .
Thank you. Just did a search on their website and didn’t find much information… then I found your post on here! Congratulations on your order !

K gun would be another as you have used them and like them. The safety is more safe if you like.

The IES system they offer is quite ingenious....some may say it is just another thing that can go wrong but I have never heard of one fail in this department.

I would not go with a bigger than 450/400 or 500/416 NE as a dedicated buffalo rifle. If you mentioned 1 or 2 buff the 375 Flanged Magnum is another option but hunting buffalo every year going forward one of the 400's is a better option.

Thanks
At 42 years old I’m likely to migrate onto doing the odd animal larger then a buff so thought the 470 would mean that I’d effectively have one double for everything.

Have you specified ejectors? Non ejector? Double trigger or single trigger?

If budget were not a consideration, then I would personally opt for a bespoke James Purdey & Sons sidelock ejector in .600 Nitro Express. But in reality, a Heym Jumbo sidelock ejector in the same caliber would be a more feasible option, while being every bit as high quality (with the added advantage that Heym, unlike Purdey does not prohibit the use of monolithic bullets in their wares).

Even though I'm personally crazy for the .600 Nitro Express, It's not a caliber that I would recommend to most novice hunters. I would say that you are far better off with a .500 Nitro Express. .470 Nitro Express is also a very practical option with the added advantage of factory loaded ammunition & hand loading components being hands down the easiest to source amongst any double rifle calibers.

My desired specifications would be:
26" Barrels (perhaps 24" if you are a little short)
Wide V Backsights
Uncovered ivory bead foresight
Non Automatic safety
Automatic ejectors
Grade 5 Turkish Walnut Stock
Articulated front trigger on a double trigger format
Silvers Recoil Pad

In a .600 Nitro Express, I would specify the rifle to be regulated with 900Gr Buffalo Bore factory loads (Hammer monometal expanding bullets & Cutting Edge monometal Safari Solid bullets at 1950fps). In a .470 Nitro Express, I would specify the rifle to be regulated with 500Gr Swift Factory loads (A-Frame lead cored expanding bullets and Breakaway Solid lead cored FMJ bullets at 2150fps)

As for brand, I say Heym all the way. Value can't be beat for the money. The Model 89B boxlock ejector is truly a thing of beauty. Elegant in simplicity.

Last edited:
I would definitely, 100% go with a Heym 89b. In 470NE as you want it to be. Africa Frame size, it will weigh 11 pounds, just right. You must go to their place in Houston to be properly measured, this is an absolute must, or even pop over to Germany. As to stock, choose two grades up, dark wood, very handsome but still strong. On the engraving side no more than stage 2 which is tasteful, but not gaerish. And have a buffalo engraved on the underplate, Heym’s buffaloes are very well done.
As to colour I would definitely stay with nickel, it compliments the red butt piece and dark wood so well for that classic Africa look. Add an Els canvas and leather sling.
Get a bespoke fitted Alpine aluminium case from Natal Gun Company in South Africa and have it shipped over, super strong to fly with and also light and durable enough to put on the back of the bakkie. The case is small, close fit, so you can take it out daily on the truck and just grab out the rifle when the time comes.
You will then have arguably the best double in the world, well proven, stylish, reliable, the best mechanicals I have ever seen. And with all of this it will cost less than the Rigby boxlock, a third of the rising bite and a third of the WR. Only one word for it, and that is excellence.
921D3AA8-144C-4EC6-8F59-FB20E7F69E8F.jpeg

If budget were not a consideration, then I would personally opt for a bespoke James Purdey & Sons sidelock ejector in .600 Nitro Express. But in reality, a Heym Jumbo sidelock ejector in the same caliber would be a more feasible option, while being every bit as high quality (with the added advantage that Heym, unlike Purdey does not prohibit the use of monolithic bullets in their wares).

Even though I'm personally crazy for the .600 Nitro Express, It's not a caliber that I would recommend to most novice hunters. I would say that you are far better off with a .500 Nitro Express. .470 Nitro Express is also a very practical option with the added advantage of factory loaded ammunition & hand loading components being hands down the easiest to source amongst any double rifle calibers.

My desired specifications would be:
26" Barrels (perhaps 24" if you are a little short)
Wide V Backsights
Uncovered ivory bead foresight
Non Automatic safety
Automatic ejectors
Grade 5 Turkish Walnut Stock
Articulated front trigger on a double trigger format
Silvers Recoil Pad

In a .600 Nitro Express, I would specify the rifle to be regulated with 900Gr Buffalo Bore factory loads (Hammer monometal expanding bullets & Cutting Edge monometal Safari Solid bullets at 1950fps). In a .470 Nitro Express, I would specify the rifle to be regulated with 500Gr Swift Factory loads (A-Frame lead cored expanding bullets and Breakaway Solid lead cored FMJ bullets at 2150fps)

As for brand, I say Heym all the way. Value can't be beat for the money. The Model 89B boxlock ejector is truly a thing of beauty. Elegant in simplicity.

Thank you so much for the very detailed response.
Yes I’d love to be able to get some A Frames but unfortunately getting them in New Zealand is proving fruitless. I have stock piled 1000 woodleighs for her though.

I would definitely, 100% go with a Heym 89b. In 470NE as you want it to be. Africa Frame size, it will weigh 11 pounds, just right. You must go to their place in Houston to be properly measured, this is an absolute must, or even pop over to Germany. As to stock, choose two grades up, dark wood, very handsome but still strong. On the engraving side no more than stage 2 which is tasteful, but not gaerish. And have a buffalo engraved on the underplate, Heym’s buffaloes are very well done.
As to colour I would definitely stay with nickel, it compliments the red butt piece and dark wood so well for that classic Africa look. Add an Els canvas and leather sling.
Get a bespoke fitted Alpine aluminium case from Natal Gun Company in South Africa and have it shipped over, super strong to fly with and also light and durable enough to put on the back of the bakkie. The case is small, close fit, so you can take it out daily on the truck and just grab out the rifle when the time comes.
You will then have arguably the best double in the world, well proven, stylish, reliable, the best mechanicals I have ever seen. And with all of this it will cost less than the Rigby boxlock, a third of the rising bite and a third of the WR. Only one word for it, and that is excellence.
View attachment 574104
Thank you so much for the response!
Love the look of that case.
Calibre 470 nitro express
Regulated for 500gr hornady
Double triggers, manual safety.
Ejectors.
Action size to suit
Box lock
Barrels 26”.
Quarter rib, with 2 rear sight leaves (say 50 & 100)
Inverted white triangle on the rear sight
Ivory front bead (or similar).
Dovetail on quarter rib to allow fitting of red dot / reflex sight plus allow a scope to be fitted later - price to include mounts

Extended trigger guard tang.
Extended top tang.

Engraving simple colour case hardening with makers name in gold

Stock…high grade to my measurements

Balanced rifle…

Is my working spec so far..

I was in the St. James Holland & Holland gunroom at the end of September, and was shown a new .470 which was offered to me at a substantial discount. Unfortunately, I cannot find it on their website, so it may have sold. Charlie Young is the chap to contact there if this might be of interest.

View attachment 574104
Going with the proven 89b Heym with all of the bells and whistles, Kevin is spot on. I am torn between .470 N & .450-.400 3”.
Professionally both my wife and myself use .470N. For pleasure hunting .450-.400 3”.
Lon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JerrellHib

Latest profile posts

NRA Life, ASSRA Life, GGCA Life
here with available dates for 2024/25

1-13 September 2024
14-31 October 2024
1-7 November 2024
18-24 November 2024

March 2025 is wide open!
12-17 April 2025
24-28 May 2025
15-21 June 2025
7-12 July 2025
22-28 July 2025
13-31 August 2025
15-30 September 2025

October and November 2025 is wide open!
Bill J H wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Do you still have this rifle? I'm in the KC area on business and I'm very interested.