Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
SCI Brush Country Chapter
Hunted
Kalahari; Limpopo, South Africa; Omay, Zimbabwe; Czech Republic; Mexico; Texas; New Mexico; Colorado
My crate is ready to go but it always bothers me when it gets to this portion of the process. We as AH members always discuss getting the best shipping rates etc and I realize there will always be a f*%k you fee or two in the process, but what does a hunter receive in services for these fees from the Dip/Pack companies? I was of the understanding my PH had already obtained the various CITIES/TOPS permits. Are these SA govt fees? I am awaiting the answer from my Dip/pack place also.

upload_2018-11-15_8-28-43.png

I'm trying to beat the December SA shut down :)

Hunting permit and export permit is not the same thing.

The Shipper requires the TOPS hunting permit to obtain the Export permit. (as well as the PH register docs, etc)
It also depends in which province in RSA you are hunting as to which permits are required for specific species. There are some species that require a permit in one province and in another they are non-indigenous species (vermin)
There are National and Provincial Regulations and permits.
Your shipper is dealing with two provinces and the national permits.

As @IvW says those hunting permits are not export permits.

On the face of it, you are not being hosed.

Reactions: IvW
Last shipment, picked up 11/13/18 had four CITES animals, ostrich leg, two flat skins, one full mount crow, one full mount baboon, one standing baboon, monkey skull and full mount african wildcat. Looking at the OPs charges, they seem to be somewhat excessive, especially the CITES/TOPS and veterinary. Here's my charges for the aforementioned shipment.

General Permits (?) $30.00
CITES/TOPS certificates $60.00
Veterinary Health Certificate $60.00
Packing/Crating $100

Bottom line, you could question the charges but they have your trophies and if you want them, you're committed to paying.

Last shipment, picked up 11/13/18 had four CITES animals, ostrich leg, two flat skins, one full mount crow, one full mount baboon, one standing baboon, monkey skull and full mount african wildcat. Looking at the OPs charges, they seem to be somewhat excessive, especially the CITES/TOPS and veterinary. Here's my charges for the aforementioned shipment.

General Permits (?) $30.00
CITES/TOPS certificates $60.00
Veterinary Health Certificate $60.00
Packing/Crating $100

Bottom line, you could question the charges but they have your trophies and if you want them, you're committed to paying.

Important point as charges vary.(there are basic rates but each may charge what they like).

Very important to try and get the prices on paper when booking the hunt.

Outfitter and Taxidermist are most times different business entities but you can get the taxidermy details of the preferred place used by the outfitter and fix prices from there before or when booking the hunt.

Certain species may require a permit before you even leave your own country to hunt here. If you do not hunt that animal you may be liable for the cost of that hunting permit irrespective if you took the animal or not.

Yes, I have paid for hunting permit in advance in the past where an animal was not harvested and I understand that is potentially the cost of doing business. I am still awaiting to hear back from the company as to the specific charges. There are 10 animals in the crate. I haven't even got to the shipping charges yet!

Yes, I have paid for hunting permit in advance in the past where an animal was not harvested and I understand that is potentially the cost of doing business. I am still awaiting to hear back from the company as to the specific charges. There are 10 animals in the crate. I haven't even got to the shipping charges yet!

You are about to meet Ben Dover. :(:LOL:

BFR, I paid $100 per animal and $100 for the crate delivered to the freight forwarder at JNB.

BFR, I paid $100 per animal and $100 for the crate delivered to the freight forwarder at JNB.

These fees weren't the normal skull/skin preparation fees. Those came out to about $160 per animal. What I was most interested in were the extra CITIES TOPS Export permit fees. I used this company last time and was happy with their service and communication. I am still happy with those things, but wanted to make sure I wasn't being "hosed" as Brickburn alludes to.

These fees weren't the normal skull/skin preparation fees. Those came out to about $160 per animal. What I was most interested in were the extra CITIES TOPS Export permit fees. I used this company last time and was happy with their service and communication. I am still happy with those things, but wanted to make sure I wasn't being "hosed" as Brickburn alludes to.

YMMV but to me, the permits look like a "hose" job. My CITES permit that covered four animals cost fifty bucks less than yours. Roan and black wildebeest TOPS fees come to $41.
Sure looks like a hose job to me Brickburn.

Look up the fees here:

http://www.limpopohunters.co.za/index.php/legislation/regulations-permits

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-11-16 at 8.54.22 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-11-16 at 8.54.22 AM.png
    498.4 KB · Views: 166
  • Screen Shot 2018-11-16 at 8.54.21 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-11-16 at 8.54.21 AM.png
    561.6 KB · Views: 158
  • Screen Shot 2018-11-16 at 8.54.19 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-11-16 at 8.54.19 AM.png
    3 MB · Views: 196
Last edited:
Thanks Hogpatrol for the info. I suspect those are the HUNT permits, which were already covered with my PH. These are the EXPORT permits that dip/pack is adding in. I'm sure there are additional fees for these, I'd just like to know if they are upcharging from the set govt fee.

Curious that no RSA outfitters or dip & pack/taxidermy companies are posting on this thread.

The wording, font, and position on your invoice looks just like mine. Guessing we are both using Johan?

The wording, font, and position on your invoice looks just like mine. Guessing we are both using Johan?

:) Were your fees similar? In closing, we did come to an agreement on the final bill. Not sure I'm completely satisfied about the explanation for the actual fees.

Now, what kind of name change is that!?

That's the PC version. The vernacular version is a sentence that isn't fit for mixed company.:rolleyes:

:) Were your fees similar? In closing, we did come to an agreement on the final bill. Not sure I'm completely satisfied about the explanation for the actual fees.

Similar, but my Doc. fees were higher. Granted its a good size shipment. Johan has been great to work with so far and my crate will be ready to ship soon, so we'll see how it all turns out.

That's the PC version. The vernacular version is a sentence that isn't fit for mixed company.:rolleyes:

I am familiar with Mr. Over and his brother Bend. :giggle: We have met on several occasions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GennieHowe

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.