SOUTH AFRICA: Elephant Hunt With Paw Print Safaris 2015

Wheels I think it's time for you to change your AVATAR. Maybe you showing some tusks???

Last edited by a moderator:
so how did the pachyderm eye fillet ,taste Charlie?

Bluey we didn't have the eye muscle. However, the camp cook did make some small slices on the grill. I must say the flavor was good, but chewing the meat was next to impossible. Fact is, I chewed some for about three minutes....no joke about the time. When the flavor was gone I was able to swallow a small bite but threw the rest in the fire.

Hmmm, our camp cook must have done something right because what we had was actually good. He cut it into kabobs and then strung them on a stick with various peppers and stuff... I think he also marinated it with something... Then set the hole thing, stick and all, wrapped in cellophane and in the ice chest/refrigerator for 2 days to marinate. He then grilled it over an open fire and served it as appetizers. I think he had cut meat out from between the sinew and it was course grained but very good.....

Of course we had been surviving on undercooked chicken (I am odd in that I hate chicken) and very tough lean Zimbabwe local beef most days... The impala was the real treat but unfortunately we ran out of that. I was tempted to shoot another impala just to keep from starving on that shoe leather beef! Then the last couple days back at main camp, we were served some of the best beef I ever had.

image.jpg

Folks this picture is very special to me as it was the very first time that I touched his ivory. I had asked Pieter to tell everyone in the party not to touch the ivory until I had the opportunity to do so. Everyone honored that request for which I am very thankful. That tusk will end up being about 41 pounds and I am thrilled. Thanks to Pieter first PH and Heinrich second PH for finding me such a great elephant.

Bluey we didn't have the eye muscle. However, the camp cook did make some small slices on the grill. I must say the flavor was good, but chewing the meat was next to impossible. Fact is, I chewed some for about three minutes....no joke about the time. When the flavor was gone I was able to swallow a small bite but threw the rest in the fire.

charlie,the meat from the cheek is what you wanted.a pic is worth a 1000 words.
083.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep that's what I had hoped for but it didn't happen!

Happy to be able to share the special day with you, your son and off course Pieter. Well done once again Charlie on your elephant and excellent shot placement, truly a moment to be proud of!

Shooting clays!
20150906_125319.jpg

Lots of fun!

the nicest thing about this trip is it is only the first one.your probably already thinking about the next one,GO FOR IT!!!!!!!

looks like you are having a great time Charlie .

Charlie, to expand on Edwards comment.... I know you have a buffalo and lioness.... And now the elephant... And I'm sure you're still reveling and basking in the afterthoughts of the elephant... But we all want to know! :A Bulb::P Elmer Fudd:

What are you thinking next... Going for leopard or are you going to be looking into a Rhino hunt of some sort? Or are you switching gears and thinking some of the high end PG... I know you have mentioned sable several times....

Or with the shotgun practice are you going for Egyptian Goose or some sort of African Fowl slam?

Hmm You did put a lot of effort into getting in better shape..:A Way To Go: Brown Bear or some mountain stuff?

Last edited:
Charlie, to expand on Edwards comment.... I know you have a buffalo and lioness.... And now the elephant... And I'm sure you're still reveling and basking in the afterthoughts of the elephant... But we all want to know! :A Bulb::P Elmer Fudd:

What are you thinking next... Going for leopard or are you going to be looking into a Rhino hunt of some sort? Or are you switching gears and thinking some of the high end PG... I know you have mentioned sable several times....

Or with the shotgun practice are you going for Egyptian Goose or some sort of African Fowl slam?

Hmm You did put a lot of effort into getting in better shape..:A Way To Go: Brown Bear or some mountain stuff?

Well tonight is the last night in Africa for this trip. I was just now gazing into the campfire wondering what will come next. Yes I have given serious thought into taking on old spots. That hunt may be a couple of years away though!
Brown bear is a possibility but I think a black bear to start with would be appropriate . Sable is a must as is the eland fir a future plains game hunt! There are some very nice ones on this property but the plans are to make this a bow hunting camp! So I don't have solid plans at this stage but you can bet I will enjoy the success of this hunt for a while then start the planning process in a year or so.

I still owe everyone a detailed report on how the hunt went! Pieter has many good pictures that he will post when we each have time!

I can truly say that Paw Print Safaris, Pieter Erasmus, has made dreams come true fir me and my son! If you are reading this and think that you may hunt in Africa someday I strongly suggest that you speak with Pieter.
I will make myself available stateside to answer questions should anyone wish to ask!

It must have been good because everyone had seconds!

Congrats on a fabulous Safari............memories to last a lifetime

Well I get in were I have service out in new mexico to take a short break from chasing elk and wow. I get to see you still had even more fun after taking your ele bull. I am so glad you guys had a great hunt and took some great animals.

I was sad to see you cooking though know pieter will think he can ask me to cook to next trip. LOL

When I get back sept 16 I hoping we can chat on the phone so I can hear some of the details. Great job done by all of you.

Look forward to talking to you bill

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabe

Latest profile posts

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg