SOUTH AFRICA: BOWHUNT: My First Safari Warthog Safaris

providerrick

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Well,I have to say I am now under the spell of hunting in Africa.It all started in February of this year.I turned 50,and my family gave me a hunt of my choice for a gift(of course there was a $ limit).I wanted to go for Moose in the Yukon,and I really wanted to use my bow.I did research and found out how expensive it would be.Then I saw another one of the African hunting shows on TV,and looked into a bowhunt in Africa.My youngest daughter Jordanne and I went to some outdoors shows here in the Northeast.In Springfield Mass. we met Tiene and Ananja Bamberger of Warthog Safaris in South Africa.Jordanne liked them and she was the one with the original idea that I would like to go on a hunt,so after lots of back and forth I booked with them for early July.

I found AFRICAHUNTING and have to say it was instrumental in my success.I was greeted warmly on joining and used a lot of the planning advise (i.e. book during dry season,dark moon,and all the packing info, etc.).I don't know how to type so this takes a while(20 min. so far).All the reports/blogs I read on this site and past reports were helpful in building up my already very high anticipation.I was very busy preparing for this trip.

I got a lot of help from Mike Scaniffe owner of Lightning Bowstrings and inventer of the Square-up archery sight from Killingworth CT.( Welcome | lightning bowstrings ) ( Welcomome To Square Up Bow Torque Indicator )( https://www.facebook.com/pages/Square-Up/144966895567001 ) Mike and I got my 3 dozen arrows ready,tuned the two bows,disassembled the spare bow,and put together a spare parts tool box.He built me a new string and loaned me his portable bow press.He's an honest guy trying to get a great product noticed.I know the Square-up helps me and virtually eliminates side to side misses,check it out.

June 30,2010 is here!Left JFK for the direct flight on SAA.The flight was long but ok and the arrival in the morning was nice.Had to go to a room where a lady registered my bow, but it went quickly and I didn't have to grease any palms.Tiene's dad Ben was there as I exited and we were off.Ben is also a PH and will be sharing the guide duties with Tiene.We arrived in camp 3.5 hours later after a warm greeting by Tiene and Ananja, Tiene said get your gear ready and lets go sit in the blind!I practically dumped my luggage out and got on my camo and gear.After a few shots at the targets behind the lodge we were off.

It was amazing to be sitting behind my bow with arrow nocked in South Africa!Tiene said that this blind would be my best chance to get a mature Kudu bull.He had been seeing a couple in this area.Lots of bird life kept my attention up while we watched and listened.Tiene said he saw a Warthog go by in front but I didn't see it and it didn't come in.I thought I heard a snorting sound come from the right side late in the day as the dominant Sable mare come up to drink at 10 yds.When she had settled about 15 others came in,including the herd bull.I was amazed at how much noise they could make when drinking and yet not even a footstep was audible as the walked up to the water hole.Tiene called the truck and we sat till the sable were scared off.

AFRICA 2011 151.jpg

Back at the lodge Ananja had prepared an awesome appetizer and we sat by the fire and talked.Dinner was Kudu and pasta,chicken,potato dish,salad,and an awesome dessert.There were supposed to be two other bowhunters but they rescheduled for some reason and I would be alone in camp.Everyone would be there to help me have a great safari,wow!

Day 2 AM: Tiene and I sat at the same blind(saw Sables and Impala on way there).15 minutes into the hunt and in came the Warthogs we watched but no big males,but a very old nice female.Then Tiene said "stand up there's your shot" I looked over to see a huge Baboon at the waterhole.I didn't want to shoot it and Tiene wanted it shot.I came to find out that this Baboon was wrecking stuff around camp and was on a hit list.Anyway he didn't even stay still for a picture.After that the Sable and more Warthogs came in and then we went back for lunch.

Day 2 PM: On the way to the blind we drove up on 6 Cape Buffalo with one huge bull they said is over 40 inches,it was awesome at 20 yds.In the blind we had the Warthogs come in,same ones.Then I look over at the feed trough ad there is a big tusked male!I ask if I can shoot him but Ben says we can do better.We both take pics and Baboon and Sables came back then we called for truck.

AFRICA 2011 087.jpg

Dinner was Eland sausage,and beefsteak 18 inch x 1 inch thick,bread pudding(my fav.)I talked to Tiene and said I would be very happy with a Warthog like the big male,he said I can take any animal I want.So now I'm getting psyched,maybe day 3?Good luck sleeping tonight!By the way the rooms are great.

Day 3 AM:Sat with Ben same blind.Saw Warthogs but not big one.Lots of birds,Vervet monkeys,Baboon,Squirrels,and just before lunch a Kudu cow made a quick appearance but spooked.We went back for lunch and everyone said"your going to kill something tonight".They think Kudu,I think big Warthog.

Day 3 PM:Ben and I go back and as we approach the big male is at the waterhole.Ben says don't worry he'll be back.We set up and as I'm setting up the cameras, Ben says"there's your Warthog".I watch and wait about 1 hour because he's laying in the feed trough at 17 yds quartering to me.I know he has to drink and when he does I'm ready.He's broadside at 20 yds,I draw,hold,release,and watch the arrow go right above the leg,perfect.He jumps,turns and as he runs of I see 3/4 of the arrow out the opposite side.I see him stumble once, then again,and go out of site,but I know he's done!Ben congratulates me and calls Tiene to come with the dogs.We all go out to the spot and see the arrow,I look and think I see him 80 yds. out.Tiene releases the dogs and they go right to him.I'm overwhelmed with emotions as I walk up to my first African animal,the first of 8 I was able to bag!More posts on my hunt with Warthog Safaris latter I need to help with a Birthday party right now.

AFRICA 2011 140.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like the start of a great safari...

story and pictures are great...

the Sable was not on your hunting card???

Great start and thats a fine warthog, Hope mines that big when I go in May. Looking forward to the rest of the story.

Awesome warthog...congrats!

Thanks for posting your hunt report, looking forward to hearing more and seeing the rest of your trophies.

MY FIRST SAFARI/Warthog Safaris/part 2

Day 3 PM continued:After they took away the Warthog we went back in the blind,since it was only 2:00.In about 1 hr. the action started,first pigs,then Sable,then a nice bull Kudu .This Kudu is a white variety and reserved for breeding.Late in the day some cow Kudu came in ,but very nervous.I saw on the video in my room later that night that a big bull had come into the edge of video frame and was standing at 10 yds for a while,but neither of us could see him.He then looped around outside the cows and walked across at 30 yds. but it was very windy and wasn't worth taking a chance.Dinner Wildebeast,fish,corn,potatoes,stuffed squash,banana pudding.

Day 4, 4th of July AM:Hoping for some red,white and blue today!Tiene is my guide today and is beating himself up trying to get me my Kudu,he has a lot of confidence in this blind.The wind is really blowing and I think that can't be good for hunting,like at home.Sables came in early and left,followed by Warthogs.Tiene and I had talked about wanting to take the old female and today she was making herself available.so,with plenty of duck shots I shoot when she was moving and hit her too far back but still good.We have the dogs on her and they are baying.Tiene says "well she's not dead".We are running to get to the dogs and I step on an Acacia thorn which goes through the sole,my big toe and out the top of my sneakers.I hobble up to the den she backed herself into.Tiene and Ben grab the dogs and ask me what I want to do about the situation.She's got no cutters left and i actually thought about grabbing her by the tusks and pulling her out,obviously they can't let me do that.Ben hands me his 22 pistol and I reach in and shoot her through the eye.She's done but that didn't stop PH (lead dog)from going into the hole behind her.I was worried she might have the arrow in there but we never found it.Now I took used pliers to pull the thorn out and took off my shoe and found it wasn't as bad as I thought.

img028.jpg

After the pictures we had lunch of pork ribs,etc.

Day 4 PM:Just Warthogs and Sable and at last light 6 Impala with one nice ram,but to dark and not close enough anyway.Dinner Red Hartebeast w/curry,pork ribs,creme dessert.

Day 5 AM:This is the 5th day in the same blind.I want to go see other areas and animals,but respect the knowledge of Tiene and Ben.Tiene and I are starting later than usual,and are sitting all day if needed to hopefully get the Kudu.
The action started with Warthogs and Sable and Stienbuck out approx. 200 yds.At 10:00 am Kudu snuck in.I stood up in the back of the blind and watched the cow and young come to drink.They are very nervous.Tiene says the bulls are of to the right but out of view.The white bull is in front.I pull the bow close to me and try to relax,yeah right!All of a sudden the pigs go crazy on each other and all the Kudu spook and run away.I sit down,damn pigs!
About two hours later Tiene says"Get up and ready".I assume the position in the back of the blind and wait.He sees them about 100 yds off and coming.Then the pigs do it again and they're all gone.Tiene says"don't worry they have to drink,but realizes that something isn't right.He and I decide that if they come again I should stay out of the window and only move into the opening with bow drawn to shoot.In addition I'll close my small window and narrow up the shoot through opening,he'll give me a thumbs up when they are in position.Sounds like a plan but can I pull it off?
As the daylight fades the pigs come in,then the Sables,then they all leave and it is getting dark,quiet.I'm trying to decide how I'm going to tell Tiene that I want to see other blinds and animals.Another side of me realizes that if we don't come back to this blind the kudu will drink and we might not ever see the big bull again.At night they put some feed bags and hunting jackets and sticks around the waterhole and the Kudu won't come in with that there.I resolve that I will give it one more day,heck I'll have 4 more after that.

Moment of truth:I stand up to stretch and Tiene says to just stay in the corner of the blind,we have 1/2 hour of light left."Get ready,get your bow".I carefully pick up my bow as I hear the first KUDU slurping water.My heart is pounding out of my chest and I try to go over the process.Tiene is holding his hand up with the wait signal.I stare at his hand,a thumb goes up.
I draw back and side step toward the window,no Kudu in front.I side step some more and more and I see them all trhe way over on the side of the blind.I see the bull,sticks are in the way,I line him up,he sees me and stands taller,he's in the clear,pin above leg, release,watch arrow go in 3/4 of it's length exactly where I aimed!He whirls around and runs.I turn to Tiene and give him a hug and say 'We did it,he's dead on his feet"He says he didn't see the shot.I told him it was good.He says "we did it ".Calls go out, truck comes ,we go over and with my flashlight we see 1/2 of my arrow 20 yds from water hole.Sparse blood,we get out 50 yds. and Tiene says"There's your Kudu Mr. Rick "We walk/run over to him and he's so awesome and majestic.I'm in awe at the sight and after 45 hrs. in the blind he's a well deserved,55 inch Kudu.I Thank god and Warthog Safaris for this animal.

AFRICA 2011 #2 023.jpeg AFRICA 2011 #2 030.jpeg

More to come:Kudu,Impala,Nyala,Warthog

Great report! Great trophies! Can't wait for the rest!

Awsome looking Kudu & good size...well done mate. Look forward to the rest of your hunt.

Another nice warthog and a excellent kudu...great bowhunt!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlieRiggs

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross