Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
SSAA, ADA, ACTA, SCI
Hunted
Australia, NZ, RSA
Hi All,

I thought I'd consult the AH brains trust and see if anyone has ideas for a source for classic style sling 'studs' - as per the image below.

http://**NOT**PERMITTED**.info/ezine/CptCurlFiles/Rigby/HighlandStalker/Original1900Rigy275NE1000.jpg

ie with openings large enough to accommodate an old style sling with leather leader - eg like the one Trader Keith does

480_2013-04-05_15.57.51.jpg

any leads would be appreciated

thanks in advance

Attachments

• Original1900Rigy275NE1000.jpg
    Original1900Rigy275NE1000.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 236
  • 480_2013-04-05_15.57.51.jpg
    480_2013-04-05_15.57.51.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 306
Last edited by a moderator:

Attachments

• Screenshot (35).png
    Screenshot (35).png
    421.8 KB · Views: 174
Last edited by a moderator:
NECG makes classic English STYLE studs, from there I would think you would just need to drill them out if you didn't want to use modern swivels. The NECG ones are fairly robust and if you wanted to shape them and reblue them it wouldn't be that hard. Nitre bluing is fairly straight forward if you have a propane torch.

https://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/Gun_Services/search.asp?CI=296&ST=Slings & Swivels
The NECG product is indeed classic, but it is continental - not English. The classic English style studs to which he refers are found on all bolt actions and many doubles from the golden age of English rifles. They have oversized loops to accommodate either leather ties are the large metal sling hooks of the period. The only two sources I could think of were Jeff’s Outfitters and Connecticut Shotgun, but neither have them. An email to Westley Richards might be an option.

Thanks a lot Chris - yes I've seen the Recknagel parts that NECG sell - but as Red Leg says - not quite what I'm after.

Red Leg - Thanks - will try that - I'd also considered contacting Rigby.

Might be an opportunity for someone here with machining superpowers to start making these as 'genuine re-creation' parts ;)

Shaun54 ;)

Thanks a lot

The rear stud could be salvaged of an old ZG47 by the looks of things, but would be an eazy job on a lathe.

Is the front one on your first picture silver soldered to the barrel? Again, a good toolmaker can make that for you.

Thanks Dewald - yes I think the front one is soldered on.

Was hoping to source a pair ready made - might end up trying to go the toolmaker path

Thanks Dewald - yes I think the front one is soldered on.

Was hoping to source a pair ready made - might end up trying to go the toolmaker path

The only thing I would be wary of when having someone attach these is the Silver Solder method. If the barrel is cut-rifled, it isn't as big of a deal. However, under the heat required to silver solder, a button rifled barrel may decrease in internal diameter and a hammer forged barrel will usually increase right at the spot where the silver solder (really just brazing) is applied. This is due to the heat from the torch warming the barrel up beyond its annealing temperature. I almost universally have my gunsmith (I used to work for him) soft solder sights and sling swivels on using a good lead free solder. Tin solder is very strong and the temperature isn't high enough to cause any stress relief inside the barrel metal. A lot of older rifles were soft soldered for this reason, as well as cost effectiveness. (you don't burn nearly as much gas to melt lead as you do copper/silver alloy). Old military Mausers had the sights simply lead soldered to the barrel in most cases. Commercially made firearms can use silver solder because they have very sophisticated methods of locally heating the part to get it to bond, without heating the entire barrel too high. I have to imagine they are using induction heating or something similar.

Thanks all - great advice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg