AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Nimrod Rifle Club, DSC, SCI, NRA
Hunted
Texas, Wyoming, Kansas, Alaska, Namibia, Botswana, Northern Cape, Alberta, Natal, Zambia
Just curious, with all the issues going on, I know a lot of people have had to cancel trips to Africa in the upcoming months.
But when do you think things will resume? I realize it all depends on the ability to cure or greatly prevent the spread of the COVID-19, but what are your thoughts on the subject?
Wait to reschedule until 2021 to be safe, or do you think there's a chance they could lift restrictions by late summer/early fall and still get a trip in then?
Just askin'

Unless there's a vaccine or surefire cure, 2021 is my bet. My gut tells me this is going to drag out all of our summer.

I'd say next year. Even if they find a cure, it's going to take some time to treat all the cases and then get back to some semblance of normal. I think it will take a good part of a year for businesses and all who are affected to restructure and resume the routine.

Interviews of drug industry on 60 Minutes TV today suggested public available drugs would be over a year.

Although East Southern Hemisphere air may reduce the effects!:whistle:

So that could mean skating on thin ice for possibly the next two years.

Only about 6 months left for this years hunt. Doubt all the broken pieces can get patched up that quick, even if kungflu season has ended in Africa.

I have plans to go to Namibia in August. My honest opinion is that if this is still bad enough to cause travel bans to extend that far out, the global economy will be in such ruin that recreational hunting will not be on anyone's mind.

Would I plan a trip then if it wasnt already planned? Probably not. Do I expect some hoops to jump through like maybe a negative covid-19 test? Probably.

Some places where it's really bad will still have lasting health concerns possibly (Italy), but the vast majority of the world will be back to 80-90% normal as far as every day life (economic effects will last much longer). I can postpone my trip if needed per my PH, but I hope it isnt needed for more than my sake.

But as dark as it sounds, if shutdowns still exist that far out, unemployment and economies will be so shattered that I shutter to think of what life will be like...I dare say if that's the case many of us may not get to enjoy such things like vacation (hunting or not) for many years, even those of us living comfortably now....

I would suggest not making any hasty decisions. All my clients are ready to go as soon as airtravel resume.

We are also still stuck in USA if I can call it that way. Pretty much all airlines have given 6 months to change or reschedule booked tickets.

Please also consider resceduling rather than cancel . Africa is dependant on all out Friends all over the world. Obviously safety first. We all pray that this will soon stabilise. We can achieve more together.

Happy Hunting !

Just curious, with all the issues going on, I know a lot of people have had to cancel trips to Africa in the upcoming months.
But when do you think things will resume? I realize it all depends on the ability to cure or greatly prevent the spread of the COVID-19, but what are your thoughts on the subject?
Wait to reschedule until 2021 to be safe, or do you think there's a chance they could lift restrictions by late summer/early fall and still get a trip in then?
Just askin'

I’d be confident in making 2021 plans. This is all BS. 22,000 flu deaths versus 201 Covid19 deaths. It’s all a manufactured crisis. After the election all will be back to normal.

I have a Sept trip planned in RSA. Emailed with them the other day. Wait and see is the word there. Not canceling or rescheduling just yet. A lot can happen in 6 months.

Yeah, my wife and I had the photo safari booked for mid-May. Now we're considering late summer/early fall or May of 2021. Looks like it will be May of 2021?
I guess it could seem petty to some to be worried about a vacation at a time like this, but this will either pass this summer and recovery will follow, or it takes a full year or two. In that case, as some have mentioned, vacation will be the least of our worries.
To all, be safe. My household is praying for the world at this time.

Yeah, my wife and I had the photo safari booked for mid-May. Now we're considering late summer/early fall or May of 2021. Looks like it will be May of 2021?
I guess it could seem petty to some to be worried about a vacation at a time like this, but this will either pass this summer and recovery will follow, or it takes a full year or two. In that case, as some have mentioned, vacation will be the least of our worries.
To all, be safe. My household is praying for the world at this time.
I expect there will be a successful generally agreed treatment protocol in the next 90 days. However, I don't think air travel will start to drift back to normal until a vaccine is approved and available. If we are extraordinary fortunate, that will be in the fall. If we experience something closer to the normal timeline, we are looking at next spring at the earliest.

My hunt and airfare are paid for this coming September. If the virus forces this to be cancelled, not sure at this time what direction I will take....try to move everything to 2021, or try and get as much money back as possible and look in another direction. I do agree with several of the previous posters that if international flights are still grounded into 2021, we will have bigger problems to deal with.

I suspect once winter sets in the Southern Hemisphere, you will see an uptick in that part of the world and a downturn in the Northern. 2021.

Cure - no, treatment protocol - yes. I suspect within 30 days.

I don't think there is any chance of getting a hunt this year, maybe by midyear 2021, but I'm still not overly hopeful. The economic impact is also going to be brutal, unfortunately, that will play a role for many of us.

I’d be confident in making 2021 plans. This is all BS. 22,000 flu deaths versus 201 Covid19 deaths. It’s all a manufactured crisis. After the election all will be back to normal.
Unfortunately there is more to the world than US politics.
This is a real and a lot of people are dying. Waiting to hear further measures to be implemented in South Africa today, you don't know how bad this can hit a lesser developed country with a fragile healthcare system.

Unfortunately there is more to the world than US politics.
This is a real and a lot of people are dying. Waiting to hear further measures to be implemented in South Africa today, you don't know how bad this can hit a lesser developed country with a fragile healthcare system.

From reading the SA newspapers, they are sweating huge bullets.

I read today that 80% of U.S. citizens will get the virus. It seems once you have had the virus and recovered that you should be free to travel since you are no longer a carrier but they're doing just the opposite in requiring a negative COVID-19 test. And I guess it means 80% of us won't ever be able to hunt Africa again! This is crazy.

Exchanged emails with my outfitter in Limpopo, SA. He says the travel ban, if not lifted, will wipe out his bookings for this season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OmaMcGill

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg