Soon to be expired 4457 forms

Clayton d

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I was printing out the current 4457 form and noticed it expires 8/31/2019. I called customs and border to see when the new forms will be available with a later date. After several emails and about an hour being transferred around to different people at customs and border I couldn’t get a answer.

It just so happens my trip is shortly after the expiration date(sept 7th)

Anyone know when the new forms are gonna be available? Or any insight on what to do?

Thanks
Clayton

The real problem is that they don't expire, it is just the South African government that thinks that they do.

You may just be SOL trying to find some with a date of next year.

From another forum, allegedly SAPS will take those thru the end of this year. Also from another forum, the new ones are due out in July. Better safe than sorry, get the new one as soon as released.

From another forum, allegedly SAPS will take those thru the end of this year. Also from another forum, the new ones are due out in July. Better safe than sorry, get the new one as soon as released.

Exactly

Thanks for the info,
I sent a email out to South African police to confirm .
Will update when I get the answers .

What do citizens of other countries use and why can't the same thing be used by U.S. citizens?

Most other countries have to have some I.D. showing they own the firearm. We don't have that here.

Use scissors to cut off the edge of the form showing the date, nobody will know or question you.

Is it true that for my June trip to South Africa do I need a 4457 issued in 2019? My son and I went to customs in December 2018 and got new forms issued for the trip. I am hearing this from friends and I appreciate your input!

Is it true that for my June trip to South Africa do I need a 4457 issued in 2019? My son and I went to customs in December 2018 and got new forms issued for the trip. I am hearing this from friends and I appreciate your input!

From what I understand Yes the 4457 must be signed and dated in year of travel.

What do citizens of other countries use and why can't the same thing be used by U.S. citizens?

Most other countries have to have some I.D. showing they own the firearm. We don't have that here.

There is also have a firearm registration requirement with licenses and permits required in other countries. With the authorities either issuing or denying them depending on how they feel that day.

That is why we need to keep the Second Amendment to our US Constitution.

But that is for another thread.

In Canada we have to apply for a temporary export permit to travel with firearms any where but the US. We do it online and takes 15 minutes to do the paperwork and it’s emailed back to you within 2 weeks. We are so safe they don’t even check serial numbers.

Just updated with current date my 4457 for a trip in July to SA with the expiration being in August 2019. Local Customs officer is a great guy and always enjoy visiting with him, most accommodating when I make my yearly trip for updated 4457...wish the US Customs would explain in language that is unstood in simple terms what the 4457 really is and that it has no expiration date and the date noted is for the style of the form, not expiration for the contents. It really could not be that much of a problem since we have a consulate in JNB that could alleviate this constant reissue of a 4457 with current dates....a true inconvenience for many travelers to go thru the updating of the 4457 with Customs located a distant office away.

Ugh! My hunt I’ll arrive in Joburg 7/29/19! Hopefully this squeezes me under the fence!

I got mine today, I saw the expiration date and just grinned and bared that I’ll have do this any year want to travel.

Just updated with current date my 4457 for a trip in July to SA with the expiration being in August 2019. Local Customs officer is a great guy and always enjoy visiting with him, most accommodating when I make my yearly trip for updated 4457...wish the US Customs would explain in language that is unstood in simple terms what the 4457 really is and that it has no expiration date and the date noted is for the style of the form, not expiration for the contents. It really could not be that much of a problem since we have a consulate in JNB that could alleviate this constant reissue of a 4457 with current dates....a true inconvenience for many travelers to go thru the updating of the 4457 with Customs located a distant office away.

The purpose of the 4457 is no mystery, as the name of the form is pretty clear: Certificate of Registration for Personal Effects Taken Abroad. It's purpose is to document you own items that you take out of the country and then want to bring back into the US at a later date. It is not exclusively for firearms, it is for anything of significant value. When I moved overseas, my entire household shipment had to be listed, that way when I moved back to the US, I didn't have to pay duty on stuff I already owned. From the US Customs perspective, the form doesn't expire. I was overseas for 6 years and no issues with an old form. The problem with "expiration date" is usually with non-US government.

I’ll have do this any year want to travel.

Any year you travel to South Africa. Other countries don’t care about a US Customs form. RSA wants US residents to get a new US Customs form every year, makes absolutely no sense.

Any year you travel to South Africa. Other countries don’t care about a US Customs form. RSA wants US residents to get a new US Customs form every year, makes absolutely no sense.

They know white guys own these hunting venues and that's their way of sticking it to them. They could care less about the financial collateral damage. Just make it more difficult to hunt with them. Aside that, I have to wonder at PHASA and what role they are playing in this requirement. Someone in that organization needs to get off their ass and get this fixed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherrillGl

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg