Soon to be a New R8 owner

I like the Z5i 3.5-18x44 a lot, so that gets my vote. I have several R8 barrels and haven’t found the need for a formal break in.

One of the nice things about a rail mounted scope, besides the clean look, is the reticle will be plumb and level. Also I like the quick release scope mounts. I use both Blaser and Innomount mounts. I have never had a problem with return to zero.

Enjoy your new R8, I enjoy mine.

My R8 barrels have shot so well out of the gate, I see no need for break in. But then again, I've never broken a barrel in on any other rifle either. If it doesn't shoot well at the beginning, I just move it down the road. I've never used a rail mounted scope, but I can imagine they work well. I've just about universally always used Leupold scopes, along with a very few Nikon and other brands. As my eyes are starting to fade a bit, I can see myself going to the best glass I can get. But so far, I've never had anything but excellent results from Leupold.

Congratulations on the new rifle. I’m going to against the grain here with regard to scopes. I’d go with the NSX. Why? In a brushier situation, I’d want the lower power and wider field of view. Tangent to that, on the other end, do you need more than 10x? Additionally, you are used to the NSX platform.
The rail scopes and mounts would be the bee’s knees, but they are a chunk of change.
Take the rifle out of the case, mount the scope and go shoot. No break in.

I have 2 blaser stocks and 4 barrels. Love the platform and it’s is the gun I shot the most out of about 20+ rifles. I don’t think you stated what you are going to hunt primarily with it. If africa, I would say go with the 2.5-8. On sticks and in Africa I don’t go above 6x on sticks and like being able to go lower magnification as needed. If North America where you might have a better rest I would go with the higher magnication. All other comments being great just my two cents. Have fun with it.

First, allow me to welcome you to AH and congratulate you on a very fine choice in rifle and caliber. My wife and I have 3 stocks (2 synthetic Professionals and her wood Intuition) with 4 barrels.

The scopes you have chosen are more than adequate for the job. It really depends on how you see yourself using the rifle in the future. I prefer the Swaro scope only because it looks more like a hunting rifle than a tactical one. However it's not my rifle, you need to be happy with the decision.

This is what I did...went with all rail mounted scopes. This way there is only the mount between the rifle and scope, instead of the mount, the rings then the scope. Here is a picture of a rail mounted scope on my 375H&H...
View attachment 497180
Zeiss, Schmidt & Bender and Swaro offer this type of mount on their scopes. Not as popular here as it is in Europe. I used a QD mount from Contessa (to save some money vs the Blaser mount) and have been very pleased with their performance. Add to this there is no need to level the scope, it's already done. And setting the eye relief was much easier as well.

The real question is what other barrels do you have in mind? Having a MA bolt head could see you in a 375H&H rather quickly or even a 257WBY for a fast .25 caliber. Those three calibers along with a 22lr kit would have you set for just about anything you want to do.
@BeeMaa
It's good to see you have gone the fast 25 route finally. I can see some R8 barrels going at bargin prices when you get used to the 25.
22,25,300 and 375 your set to hunt the world.
Bob

Thanks for all the input. I hadn't even looked at the rail mounted option. I was simply looking at scopes I already owned. I love Swaro glass. The only reason for even thinking about the NXS is my main hunting rifle i use now is a topped with a NXS 5.5-22 and has the same reticle as the 2.5-10 that I have. I have always loved the Blaser, just used a traditional bolt action rifle. In May I am headed to New Zealand to hunt. This trip kind of pushed me over the edge on the Blaser. This trip along with the hope of more future trips seemed to make the idea of having such a versatile rifle a good "excuse" to make the leap. I am sure more barrels are in my future. Now I'm liking the idea of a rail mounted option....................This rabbit hole opens up quick. Thanks for all the input.
Cheers
@COwineguy
You were warned Dorothy. It's a deep rabbit hole. Head back to Kansas real quick before you go broke.
Ha ha ha ha
Bob

Love the Z8 and rail mounts. The 0.75x6x on the 375 is awesome. 1.3x13 for the 300WM and 2x16 on the 7mm REM mag and you are set.
@Challer
To much thinking.
I have 3.5 to 10x44 meopta on 2 hunting rifles and a 3 to 9 zies on my 35. Simple easy and the 3.5 to 10 can be used all they way out to 600 with the bdc reticle.
Simple scopes for a simple old fart.
Bob

@BeeMaa
It's good to see you have gone the fast 25 route finally. I can see some R8 barrels going at bargin prices when you get used to the 25.
22,25,300 and 375 your set to hunt the world.
Bob
I'd love a 257WBY, but currently don't have one. I was merely suggesting to @COwineguy that it would be a great option for him because he's already got the MA bolt head. I still have to get to the range and sight in the 300WM barrel that just showed up. :rolleyes: It's on the list of things to get in the future, but I'll say it's not at the top currently. Cheers mate.

I'd love a 257WBY, but currently don't have one. I was merely suggesting to @COwineguy that it would be a great option for him because he's already got the MA bolt head. I still have to get to the range and sight in the 300WM barrel that just showed up. :rolleyes: It's on the list of things to get in the future, but I'll say it's not at the top currently. Cheers mate.
I'd just get a 243. Same thing. :A Stirring:

I would agree with rail over rings if you can

the B1 scope range look interesting

I was looking at the 1 - 7 x 28 which looks like a serious alternative to the z8i 1 - 8 x 24

for me the swaro still has the edge over the Blaser offering - on both price and weight (lower)
I see there are Blaser scopes offered. Are these made by Blaser or are they outsourced and branded Blaser by an Optics company?

I expect they are high quality just wondering if Blaser also make optics.

I see there are Blaser scopes offered. Are these made by Blaser or are they outsourced and branded Blaser by an Optics company?

They are made by Blaser, but I believe they took over a factory that was previously operated by Minox.

Oh my another Blaser koolaid drinker I’m afraid there is nothing we can do for you ! Enjoy a great rifle!
IMG_0394.JPG

They are made by Blaser. S&B sold them the equipment to make the scopes. They are not made by Minox, even through the parent company owns Minox.

If you want illumination control, your choices are Zeiss & Blaser scopes.

They are made by Blaser. S&B sold them the equipment to make the scopes. They are not made by Minox, even through the parent company owns Minox.

If you want illumination control, your choices are Zeiss & Blaser scopes.

I think Zeiss doesn’t make IC scopes anymore. They did, but not anymore. I have one (3-12x56) and it’s quite decent.

Another vote for the Z5. Not just for the looks but a .300WM is a long distance hunting round and the extra magnification helps at the distance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois