Soon to be a New R8 owner

COwineguy

Reaction score
Member of
Rocky Mountain Bighorn Society
Hunted
United States, Mexico
I found this forum by researching Blaser R8s. That being said I am going to be picking up an R8 professional in 300 Win mag next week and am contemplating which scope I should mount on it. I am currently between a NXS 2.5-10X42 and a Z5 3.5-18X44. I own both already. Also what is the theory on break in for Blaser rifles? I used to break in every gun but in recent years haven't had the need.

Cheers

Welcome.
Either of those scopes will work fine. As to breaking in the barrel…clean and then shoot. No special treatment needed. I’ve got 6 barrels for my R8’s and all are tack drivers.
You didn’t ask about this….but I’ll mention it anyway. Now that you’ve gone to the dark side with the R8…perhaps, but only if you’re game, you could jump in “boots and all” and have a look at some rail mounted scopes. But be warned….once you’ve gone rail there’s no going back.

Last edited:
First, allow me to welcome you to AH and congratulate you on a very fine choice in rifle and caliber. My wife and I have 3 stocks (2 synthetic Professionals and her wood Intuition) with 4 barrels.

The scopes you have chosen are more than adequate for the job. It really depends on how you see yourself using the rifle in the future. I prefer the Swaro scope only because it looks more like a hunting rifle than a tactical one. However it's not my rifle, you need to be happy with the decision.

Now that you’ve gone to the dark side with the R8…perhaps, but only if you’re game, you could jump in “boots and all” and have a look at some rail mounted scopes. But be warned….once you’ve gone rail there’s no going back.
This is what I did...went with all rail mounted scopes. This way there is only the mount between the rifle and scope, instead of the mount, the rings then the scope. Here is a picture of a rail mounted scope on my 375H&H...
1667028360746.png

Zeiss, Schmidt & Bender and Swaro offer this type of mount on their scopes. Not as popular here as it is in Europe. I used a QD mount from Contessa (to save some money vs the Blaser mount) and have been very pleased with their performance. Add to this there is no need to level the scope, it's already done. And setting the eye relief was much easier as well.

The real question is what other barrels do you have in mind? Having a MA bolt head could see you in a 375H&H rather quickly or even a 257WBY for a fast .25 caliber. Those three calibers along with a 22lr kit would have you set for just about anything you want to do.

Last edited:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-10-30 at 9.12.57 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2022-10-30 at 9.12.57 AM Large.jpeg
    208.2 KB · Views: 52
  • Screen Shot 2022-10-30 at 9.12.59 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2022-10-30 at 9.12.59 AM Large.jpeg
    97.2 KB · Views: 44
  • Screen Shot 2022-10-30 at 9.13.01 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2022-10-30 at 9.13.01 AM Large.jpeg
    93 KB · Views: 43
  • Screen Shot 2022-10-30 at 9.13.03 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2022-10-30 at 9.13.03 AM Large.jpeg
    88.4 KB · Views: 44
  • Screen Shot 2022-10-30 at 9.13.04 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2022-10-30 at 9.13.04 AM Large.jpeg
    98.8 KB · Views: 51
Thanks for all the input. I hadn't even looked at the rail mounted option. I was simply looking at scopes I already owned. I love Swaro glass. The only reason for even thinking about the NXS is my main hunting rifle i use now is a topped with a NXS 5.5-22 and has the same reticle as the 2.5-10 that I have. I have always loved the Blaser, just used a traditional bolt action rifle. In May I am headed to New Zealand to hunt. This trip kind of pushed me over the edge on the Blaser. This trip along with the hope of more future trips seemed to make the idea of having such a versatile rifle a good "excuse" to make the leap. I am sure more barrels are in my future. Now I'm liking the idea of a rail mounted option....................This rabbit hole opens up quick. Thanks for all the input.
Cheers

I found this forum by researching Blaser R8s. That being said I am going to be picking up an R8 professional in 300 Win mag next week and am contemplating which scope I should mount on it. I am currently between a NXS 2.5-10X42 and a Z5 3.5-18X44. I own both already. Also what is the theory on break in for Blaser rifles? I used to break in every gun but in recent years haven't had the need.

Cheers
@COwineguy
Don't run barrels in, waste of bullets. The price you pay for an R8 barrel you would expect it to shoot.
You are in big trouble with the R8.
You have started down a rabbit hole with no end Dorothy. With all the extras you can get for the R8 and expense ( yes you do end up with a great versatile rifle) me thinks you should have stayed in Kansas.
There are a lot of people here that love their R8s like @ BeeMaa and his lovely wife.
Enjoy your new toy mate.
Bob

This rabbit hole opens up quick.
Yeah, it does. Once we picked up our first R8, it was over. Shortly after that we started selling our traditional rifles (in all honesty they were nothing really special) and converted our collection to Blaser.

With all the possible combinations it can be a little confusing at first, but after a while you'll get the hang of it. If you have questions, I'm happy to help. Best of luck.

Congratulations on the purchase.

I'm going to cast a vote on the Swarovski over Nightforce. Just because it's a Blaser. Nightforce are quality scopes but do they pair nicely with a Blaser?

I've even met the owner of Lightforce lights/Nightforce scopes but they are in a different class and it's horses for courses. In the Target and Tactical world they work.

Now Mr BeeMaa, and Mrs BeeMaa are fans of Blaser. There are many Blaser owners here. Mr RedLeg might add to the conversation. I think he will lean toward a nice European scope, I would. It just makes sense on a Blaser or any nice rifle.

I would agree with rail over rings if you can

the B1 scope range look interesting

I was looking at the 1 - 7 x 28 which looks like a serious alternative to the z8i 1 - 8 x 24

for me the swaro still has the edge over the Blaser offering - on both price and weight (lower)

I would agree with rail over rings if you can

the B1 scope range look interesting

I was looking at the 1 - 7 x 28 which looks like a serious alternative to the z8i 1 - 8 x 24

for me the swaro still has the edge over the Blaser offering - on both price and weight (lower)
The Z8i 1-8x24 is what's on the picture I posted above for my 375H&H. The other 2 big game scopes I have are the Z8i 1.7-13x42 (my 300WM) and Z8i 2-16x50 (Mrs BeeMaa's 300WM). All rail scopes in Contessa mounts. I've been very pleased with this combo.

What I'm not sure of is if they (Swaro) are still offered in a rail option. I had to special order mine and wait at least 3 months to get them. You will need to send and email or make a call to confirm.

The Z8i 1-8x24 is what's on the picture I posted above for my 375H&H. The other 2 big game scopes I have are the Z8i 1.7-13x42 (my 300WM) and Z8i 2-16x50 (Mrs BeeMaa's 300WM). All rail scopes in Contessa mounts. I've been very pleased with this combo.

What I'm not sure of is if they (Swaro) are still offered in a rail option. I had to special order mine and wait at least 3 months to get them. You will need to send and email or make a call to confirm.

Rail option for the swaro Z8i 1 - 8 x 24 is available here in UK so I guess swaro are still making them for rail fittings

I too have the Z8i 2 - 16 x 50 (not rail) and I have used it for the past 4 or 5 years as a general hunting scope - eye relief not quite right for me on the Blaser, so I have to move my head in a bit - otherwise it is a cracker

A rail option might well have resolved that issue for me as, I believe, it allows for greater adjustment

I have a Contessa mount for the Z8i 2 to 16 and it is fine - will deffo check out the Contessa rail option for the Z8i 1 to 8

Last edited:
I agree, no need for break in. What are you hunting and at what likely distances? I have both those scopes, but the Swaro is on my 300WM barrel as I will hunt elk out to 500 yds. The greater magnification at the upper end is nice, but, for me, it’s all about the reticle. I prefer ballistic reticles, no dialing in the field.

Yeah, it does. Once we picked up our first R8, it was over. Shortly after that we started selling our traditional rifles (in all honesty they were nothing really special) and converted our collection to Blaser.

With all the possible combinations it can be a little confusing at first, but after a while you'll get the hang of it. If you have questions, I'm happy to help. Best of luck.
But also the used market is vibrant as people sort out what is best for them. Always check here, BlaserBuds, even eBay, etc for used stuff at good prices

Love the Z8 and rail mounts. The 0.75x6x on the 375 is awesome. 1.3x13 for the 300WM and 2x16 on the 7mm REM mag and you are set.

Cheers
Sounds like you have an excellent rifle coming!
I like my Swaro rail scopes. They are Z8's. I think a scope with rings detracts from the R8. I have only one scope mount with rings.
Blaser barrels are said to not need a break in but I am no expert on this and would like to hear what others say.
Regards,
Philip

Sounds like you have an excellent rifle coming!
I like my Swaro rail scopes. They are Z8's. I think a scope with rings detracts from the R8. I have only one scope mount with rings.
Blaser barrels are said to not need a break in but I am no expert on this and would like to hear what others say.
Regards,
Philip
Never 'broke' any of mine in

Just regular cleaning and dry storage

j

@COwineguy - as far as a new barrel is concerned...all I've ever done is a thorough cleaning after receiving it. Sometimes there are minute pieces of metal left from the machining process along with residue of the lubricant used. Clean that up with your choice of solvent and you should be good to go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoanRigby4

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you