Son's first African hunt advice

Some yers ago I took my son to Africa on his first (real) hunt. My PH (who I'd known for years by then) gave me some good advice.

I wanted to be there for my son's first shot on an African animal. My PH took me aside and suggested that for the first animal, it might be best for me not to be there - there would be enough stress, and my being there would only add to that. I thought about it and agreed - there would be lots of other animals.

As it happened, my son missed his first shot on a springbok. A half hour later, he made a shot on an impala. I was waiting in the vehicle and when we got the call, we went to find them. When I got there, he was as proud as could be to show me his first kill. I don't think it would have been the same if I'd been there for the miss. I was with him for the rest of the hunt and he took some great animals, and missed on one more. As it was, though, he didn't know that I knew about the first miss, and when I mentioned it to him after we'd returned home, he was a bit surprised that I knew, but then told me he was glad I hadn't been there to see that.

Our trip together is one of the highlights of my life. I am a lucky man to have had that opportunity, as are you. Good luck. I have no doubt you will enjoy every minute.

Just officially booked a June hunt with my son. We're both very excited. He'll be turning 13 while on the hunt. I've hunted So Africa with the same PH twice, but this will be his first time there. We have a lot of time on the range and in the field together, successfully hunting deer and turkeys in the US. Been working on the plains game identification and shooting positions very seriously since Christmas break. Passport has already been taken care of. Love to hear any advice from those who've taken their kids along on a hunt. Thanks

You are going to make some grand memories with your son. My son was a lot older but the fact that you will Hunt another part of the world together is simply an amazing adventure. In my case I bought my son the same package that I Was hunting. In every case I let him shoot his trophy first.
The smiles on his face were priceless to me!
BDBC78A3-A913-419F-AC85-139C97D95B0A.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
My kids were college age when they made their first trip to Africa. To say it was a life changing experience is an understatement. The only downside is every so often one of them will ask when are we going back to Africa.

Take lots of pictures.
Get them a camera so they can take lots of their own pictures.

You might still need a notarized letter from the non-traveling parent to get on the airplane. Check on both the airline rules and the indented country rules for travel with a minor.
have a backup copy of documents and keep pictures of docs in your phone as well as send them to yourself via email in case you lose your phone.

My son was 12 when we went. @Hank2211 is absolutely correct in letting the PH take your son. It worked great for us. My son learned quite a bit about hunting from our PH and he came away from the trip much more mature.

A few other thoughts: take the time your son needs to explore. I found I enjoyed it as much as he did. Piles of bones and dead bugs are pretty cool.
Make sure he has something to take pictures with. His photos will give a good idea of what he finds interesting.
If he fits any of your gear... he will end up borrowing some of it. (I bet you know that!)
Bring something to flavor water (Nuun tabs, powder, etc) he will drink more water if tastes good.
@Bullthrower338 is right on: I was surprised by how much joy I got by watching my son hunt that it was easy to not be the primary hunter.

Many thanks guys. Agreed on all that's been said here. At this point it's about him and passing along family tradition and tribal knowledge on hunting, fishing, camping, the outdoors etc. Not even concerned about shooting anything myself. (Well, maybe a buffalo if we settle on a price. Still being discussed.) Luckily I've become friends with a great PH who will be wonderful with kids. I learned many years ago to let the PH do his thing and follow his instruction. My son has been shooting a 6.5 Creedmoor for the last 2 years without any issues. Good to about 100-125 yds now on steel targets from the ASC sticks and 150-175 when kneeling braced. Fortunately we live about 20 min from the range in FL so it's easy to practice weekly.

Anyone run into any issues regarding travel with a minor and documents? Passport is in hand already. I've read a couple things on travel blogs about additional proof possibly being required to prove you're the parent etc? Nothing detailed that I could find though. Assume that's all about trafficking.

I ran into issues in 2018 taking my daughter that was 17 at the time, since both parents weren’t there with her they also needed a copy of her birth certificate and a signed approval from the other parent acknowledging that she was aware of the planned vacation, plus the passport

Many thanks guys. Agreed on all that's been said here. At this point it's about him and passing along family tradition and tribal knowledge on hunting, fishing, camping, the outdoors etc. Not even concerned about shooting anything myself. (Well, maybe a buffalo if we settle on a price. Still being discussed.) Luckily I've become friends with a great PH who will be wonderful with kids. I learned many years ago to let the PH do his thing and follow his instruction. My son has been shooting a 6.5 Creedmoor for the last 2 years without any issues. Good to about 100-125 yds now on steel targets from the ASC sticks and 150-175 when kneeling braced. Fortunately we live about 20 min from the range in FL so it's easy to practice weekly.

Anyone run into any issues regarding travel with a minor and documents? Passport is in hand already. I've read a couple things on travel blogs about additional proof possibly being required to prove you're the parent etc? Nothing detailed that I could find though. Assume that's all about trafficking.
Tango
As to having trouble and children trafficking PLEASE TAKE AN AUTHORIZED COPY OF YOUR SONS BIRTH CERTIFICATE. We didn't know about this and had issues getting our 15 year old son into and out of Namibia. A minor problem but we did our hunt and couldn't have had a better bonding time. My son gave me the best fathers day gift. The smile on his face when he got to shoot our first head of game in Namibia. A beautiful Springbok.
My son used a Howa 308 Loaded with 150grain accubonds, pile axed everything he shot including a big Hartman zebra and Oryx.
Get your son to practice, practice then practice some more off sticks and field positions. My son got to the stage he could hit a 6inch gong at 200yards every time. I also used small reactive targets and his 22 rim fire with sticks beforehand. Cheaper than centrefire and depending on the target and the distance harder. I had complete faith in him and the PH to hunt alone while I had a,day off. Our trackers treated him like a son and started to teaching him how to track as well.
Take your son and enjoy. You will get so much out of what he accomplished that you forget to shoot.
In my case son 7 trophies dad 5.
Cheers mate
Bob Nelson
received_477369283213994.jpeg

My son with his PH Jacobus Wasserfall and trackers France and Andreus
received_1135473223324032.jpeg

His father's day gift along with the biggest smile you have ever seen

Took my 13 year old last year

Needed a notarized letter stating permission from wife to travel outside us. Google it you should find one that has all the required statements. His Birth certificate and copy of mother’s passport were required as well. Got a little worried when the agent asked my son when is your mothers birthday. Sir I don’t even know when my wife’s birthday is. He laughed and let us pass.

Many thanks for all the advice, especially that regarding the child-related travel documents.

We'll be hunting with Makonya Safaris in the Limpopo area. I've hunted with Jimmy and Tyler there 2x before and they're wonderful. Agreed on all the advice regarding practice. We shoot weekly with the 22 and the 6.5 on both steel and African animal targets, good there with accuracy and shot placement. We run some active shooting stress drills as well and he eats that stuff up. You get some funny looks at the range while running around to elevate heart rate, shoot on a timer, reload under stress etc. (done at off hours, guns stay in a safe place/condition while running these drills) Most people around here never get off the bench to practice.

We've been shooting and hunting together for years here in the states so I'm comfortable with him handling stress. I think he's taken more deer and turkeys than I have in the last few years. While I understand the theory about a parent not being there for a first animal, I wouldn't even consider not being there for his first African animal. As you guys say, it'll be an epic experience. Already counting the days!

I cannot begin to convey how excited I am about hunting with my daughter in April. She's 17. This will be our first trip to Africa. She's shooting a .308, with loads using a 150 grain Partition. Her 100 yard groups have been very solid. We still need to spend time shooting off sticks. I bought a Bog Pod tripod, as it looked the most similar to what I see our guide using, but the weather for much of the last two months have been sub-zero. Shooting from the bench is doable; the sticks have been challenging in such weather. I'm hoping for warmer weather in March so we can get more practice from that platform.

Terry: That'll be fantastic! I am still in awe with Africa and I didn't see it until I was 47 yrs old. I can only imagine what a 13-17 yr will think. Sorry to hear about the weather there.

That wasn't a complaint about the weather, at all, though I can see where some might think it to be; just that it's made it tough to want to practice off sticks. Actually I'm excited by the weather being cold: it's setting things up for good travel conditions to caribou hunt. The days are getting longer (almost 6 minutes per day). I am hopeful to have several good hunts in the next 6 weeks.

Last edited:
Relax and enjoy your safari with your son and put as little pressure possible on him....

Shot placement... Shot placement.. Shot placement.
Range practice at home so he's comfortable with the rifle..
NO PRESSURE while he's hunting... He will be fine... And so will you!!

I took my son on his first Africa hunt when he was 13 too. We had a memorable time. There really isn't much to advise except: Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy - and do more hunts together!! Best of luck to you both on your hunt!! (Please post up a report with pics on your return)

I cannot begin to convey how excited I am about hunting with my daughter in April. She's 17. This will be our first trip to Africa. She's shooting a .308, with loads using a 150 grain Partition. Her 100 yard groups have been very solid. We still need to spend time shooting off sticks. I bought a Bog Pod tripod, as it looked the most similar to what I see our guide using, but the weather for much of the last two months have been sub-zero. Shooting from the bench is doable; the sticks have been challenging in such weather. I'm hoping for warmer weather in March so we can get more practice from that platform.
Tundra Tiger
You have chosen well for your daughter. The 308 will do the job perfectly on all her game.
My son used the 150gn accubonds in his 08 Loaded with 50grains of cfe223 for 2,900+fps. This load is max and is safe in his rifle. Use 3 grains less and work up.
Cheers mate Bob

Many thanks for all the advice, especially that regarding the child-related travel documents.

We'll be hunting with Makonya Safaris in the Limpopo area. I've hunted with Jimmy and Tyler there 2x before and they're wonderful. Agreed on all the advice regarding practice. We shoot weekly with the 22 and the 6.5 on both steel and African animal targets, good there with accuracy and shot placement. We run some active shooting stress drills as well and he eats that stuff up. You get some funny looks at the range while running around to elevate heart rate, shoot on a timer, reload under stress etc. (done at off hours, guns stay in a safe place/condition while running these drills) Most people around here never get off the bench to practice.

We've been shooting and hunting together for years here in the states so I'm comfortable with him handling stress. I think he's taken more deer and turkeys than I have in the last few years. While I understand the theory about a parent not being there for a first animal, I wouldn't even consider not being there for his first African animal. As you guys say, it'll be an epic experience. Already counting the days!
Tango
Be there for there first Africa animal otherwise you will regret it.
Make sure they do the full ritual, blood stripes on the face and a piece if the liver to eat. My son did all this and couldn't have been more pleased with himself.
Speaking to him later about it all he said it made the experience of his first game animal in Namibia that much more special.
Cheers mate Bob

at 13 he is allowed to have a beer in the evening at the fire. :) Especially if the day was successful.

For information, the Delta website is out of date:

upload_2020-2-23_19-45-40.png

Effective November 8, 2019 there requirements have changed:

upload_2020-2-23_19-51-29.png

upload_2020-2-23_19-52-20.png

There is certainly no harm for you to play safe and have the formally required documentation, but the requirements have officially changed.

Whether every airline agent and every immigration official knows this, is a different question altogether. I hate to say, but I would play it safe myself and have the paperwork just in case. Arguments with over-empowered and under-trained counter agents are rarely won and are always an unnecessary stress test...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelitaAu

Latest profile posts

Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,