238.1 KB · Views: 80
  • 39069302ty.jpg
    39069302ty.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 82
  • 39069323oz.jpg
    39069323oz.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 85
Last edited by a moderator:
Our sport carries with it a wealth of nostalgia, rich history of legends of yesteryear like Ruark, Hemingway et al. I happen to think it is a work in progress, there are new characters emerging all the time to take the wonderful story forward into now, and the future.
Some of the tricks that were learnt, devices developed from back then endure not just because they were good and of course useful, but because they were iconic.
Here are a few of my favourites:
  • Canvas water bags that keep cool in the extreme heat.
  • Pith helmets that sit on a webbing and are well aerated and super comfortable.
  • Safari jackets for the chilly evenings by the fire.
  • What is your list?
Mopani wood

ms-9x56, yes sir Winchester model 97, mine in 16 gauge and inherited from my father. Very tight choke, I use it for turkeys mostly but have shot lots of other upland birds with it. It doesn't always cycle the first shell out anymore. . .
Steve White brought up Dutch Ovens-We use them at home and in the mtns, great for cooking for a large group!

I also have a pre 64 (1951 or 52) winchester model 70 in .30-06 that I inherited 30 years ago from Grandpa Mitchell. Got it for Christmas and took it to grandpa for instructions in its use. Grandpa had parkinsons which would eventually lead to his death and when he showed me all the basics his hands shook uncontrolled, beyond my comprehension at that time. I have a plan to take it to Namibia one day just to get it all the way to Africa. Got one more trip to S. Africa first with a different rifle though.

Along that line, is there any feeling that compares to the moment you have booked your african adventure and all the years of dreaming and planning are suddenly real. Kinda like asking your dream girl to marry you and all the dreams and fantasies suddenly seem tangible and attainable. First trip or one after that, the feeling only intensifies!
No other pump gun sounds like a 97 when you shuck that action. Must be the hammer. Is theee a date code on that shotgun?

A comfortable chair next to a large calden, the rifle leaning against the tree within reach of our hands, binoculars, and a good cigar and to wait for the sun to fall to see Don Jabali come in to eat ...

View attachment 359105

I was getting a stiff neck ;).

Very cool vehicle!

I’m currently rebuilding a ‘69 FJ. I had previously restored a ‘71, and in a moment of sheer lunacy, sold it. This one is sticking around! I’ve even had the frame powder coated, no way I’m selling this rig!

I’m currently rebuilding a ‘69 FJ. I had previously restored a ‘71, and in a moment of sheer lunacy, sold it. This one is sticking around! I’ve even had the frame powder coated, no way I’m selling this rig!

I have a considerable heap of Willys and Kaiser engines, parts, and even 'project jeeps' that need to be sold.

Reactions: WAB
Lol the top one will do just fine. I'm sure there are people out there who specialize in recreating those old gun-jeeps. I'll need to go looking for them one day so I can be that fun uncle who shows up to family gatherings with the best "toys" for the kids to play on.

Lol the top one will do just fine. I'm sure there are people out there who specialize in recreating those old gun-jeeps. I'll need to go looking for them one day so I can be that fun uncle who shows up to family gatherings with the best "toys" for the kids to play on.

Reproduction bodies and all of the bits to replicate original Willys or Ford MB or GPW 'Jeeps' can be had, One can buy a cheap, ratty, old civilian CJ2A or 3A (or an original military one), replace body with fresh repop, then beat the heck out of it while adding 'field modifications' and strapping on jerry cans, spare wheels, ammo boxes, etcetera.

The original SAS and LDRG vehicles were all ;jury rigged' in the field, so there;s no manual to follow, just photographs and your own imagination.

For the kids, 'Mini MB' bodies exist that can be installed on riding mowers, go carts, and such. Then you could build some 'machine guns' that are water cannons. https://www.omix-ada.com/mini-jeep-mb-body-kit-steel.html

Or build one from scratch like this guy did:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-25 at 9.53.55 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-25 at 9.53.55 AM.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 81
  • Screen Shot 2020-07-25 at 9.54.08 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-25 at 9.54.08 AM.png
    943.9 KB · Views: 81
  • Screen Shot 2020-07-25 at 9.54.11 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-25 at 9.54.11 AM.png
    552 KB · Views: 70
  • Screen Shot 2020-07-25 at 9.54.13 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-25 at 9.54.13 AM.png
    378.8 KB · Views: 76
  • Screen Shot 2020-07-25 at 9.54.16 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-25 at 9.54.16 AM.png
    1 MB · Views: 71
  • Screen Shot 2020-07-25 at 9.54.18 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-25 at 9.54.18 AM.png
    528.3 KB · Views: 75
Any one remember “Kilroy was here”?
1595703153645.jpeg

He is engraved in stone in the National War Memorial
in Washington, DC, - back in a small alcove where
very few people have seen it. For the WWII
generation, this will bring back memories. For
you younger folks, it's a bit of trivia that is a
part of our American history. Anyone born in
1913 to about 1950, is familiar with Kilroy. No
one knew why he was so well known - but everybody
seemed to get into it.

So who was Kilroy?
In 1946 the American Transit Association, through its
radio program, "Speak to America ," sponsored a
nationwide contest to find the real Kilroy, offering
a
prize of a real trolley car to the person who could prove
himself to be the genuine article. Almost 40 men stepped forward to make that claim, but only James Kilroy from Halifax , Massachusetts , had evidence of his identity.

'Kilroy' was a 46-year old shipyard worker during the war who worked as a checker at the Fore River Shipyard in Quincy. His job was to go around and check on the number of rivets completed. Riveters were on piecework and got paid by the rivet. He would count a block of rivets and put a check mark in semi-waxed lumber chalk, so the rivets wouldn't be counted twice. When Kilroy went off duty, the riveters would erase the mark.
Later on, an off-shift inspector would come through and count the rivets a second time, resulting in double pay for the riveters.

One day Kilroy's boss called him into his office The foreman was upset about all the wages being paid to riveters, and asked him to investigate. It was then he realized what had been going on. The tight spaces he had to crawl in to check the rivets didn't lend themselves to lugging around a paint can and
brush, so Kilroy decided to stick with the waxy chalk. He continued to put his check mark on each job he inspected, but
added 'KILROY WAS HERE' in king-sized letters
next to the check, and eventually added the sketch of the chap with the long nose peering over the fence and that became part of the Kilroy message.

Once he did that, the riveters stopped trying to wipe away his marks. Ordinarily the rivets and chalk marks would have been covered up with paint. With the war on, however, ships were leaving the Quincy Yard so fast that there wasn't time to paint them. As a result, Kilroy's inspection "trademark" was seen by thousands of servicemen who boarded the troopships the yard produced.

His message apparently rang a bell with the servicemen,
because they picked it up and spread it all over Europe and the South Pacific.

Before war's end, "Kilroy" had been here, there, and everywhere on the long hauls to Berlin and Tokyo. To the troops outbound in those ships, however, he was a complete mystery; all they knew for sure was that someone named Kilroy had "been there first." As a joke, U.S. servicemen began placing the graffiti wherever they landed, claiming it was already there when they arrived.

Kilroy became the U.S. super-GI who had always "already been" wherever GIs went. It became a challenge to
place the logo in the most unlikely places imaginable (it is said to be atop Mt. Everest, the Statue of Liberty, the underside of the Arc de Triomphe, and even scrawled in the dust on the moon.

As the war went on, the legend grew. Underwater demolition teams routinely sneaked ashore on Japanese-held islands in the Pacific to map the terrain for coming invasions by U.S. troops (and thus, presumably, were = the first GIs there). On one occasion, however, they reported seeing enemy troops painting over the Kilroy logo!

In 1945, an outhouse was built for the exclusive use of Roosevelt, Stalin, and Churchill at the Potsdam conference. Its' first occupant was Stalin, who emerged and asked his aide (in Russian), "Who is Kilroy?"

To help prove his authenticity in 1946, James Kilroy brought along officials from the shipyard and some of the riveters. He won the trolley car, which he gave to his nine children as a Christmas gift and set it up as a playhouse in the Kilroy yard in Halifax, Massachusetts .

And The Tradition Continues...

EVEN Outside Osama Bin Laden's
House!!!
1595703624054.jpeg

With a post like that @Newboomer you could be an honorary Canadian. That would fit right on our annual Boxing Day rabbit hunt.

Boxing Day rabbit hunt!!! I didn't know anyone outside my family honoured that tradition. What a wonderful way to introduce youngsters to hunting, get everyone out of the house despite -20 temperatures, and mitigate the effects of too much food, sweets, and indoors. I heartily approve.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warpig602.0

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross