Soaking Clothes In Permethrin

I like simple, I'm a simple guy:D. Premixed out of the bottle, read the instructions, (yes I can read:rolleyes:), spray it on, good to go. I figure every few years I can afford to pop for a couple bottles of Sawyers, its part of the over all cost of safari.
As to this horrible smell I keep reading about? WTH are you guys talking about?:confused: I have a very good sniffer and honestly I cant recall ever smelling this stuff at all while spraying it or on my clothes, other than a slight odor of solvent, a not unpleasant smell while still in the bottle.
No smell from Sawyer. Used it many times. I’ll never do the DIY way even though I have Pemetherin in my barn all the time. I don’t want a rash or worse!

IMG_6493.JPG

We know that feeling here!(y):D

Thank goodness for this forum. No misguided political correctness. Just the love of hunting. Man, I feel like I am heading for Hunting’s Nirvana. Marius from KMG Safaris is preparing his .375 and .500 NE. We are going for Buffalo, Crocks, and, if time permits Plains Game.

I have soaked my clothes, pack, tent and everything else in it. I find now that if I just soak my pants, socks, and boots I get the same result. I spray deet on my upper body. I also use a solution of tea tree oil. Everything hates tea tree oil. I know the scent attracts whitetails and have heard black bears like it as well. Can not say about other animals. Of course in Africa you might not to be wearing something so seductive.

I have soaked my clothes, pack, tent and everything else in it. I find now that if I just soak my pants, socks, and boots I get the same result. I spray deet on my upper body. I also use a solution of tea tree oil. Everything hates tea tree oil. I know the scent attracts whitetails and have heard black bears like it as well. Can not say about other animals. Of course in Africa you might not to be wearing something so seductive.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:..............................hold on it might save me walking for miles:D

Was in the local wallyworld and stumbled across a sale on short and long sleeve camo shirts. The short sleeve were 2.50 and long sleeve 5.00. Didn't realize it until I got home but they are impregnated with permethrin and good for 70 washes.

IMG_20200220_162903806.jpg
IMG_20200220_132650127.jpg
IMG_20200220_132644121.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OK. Doing several sets of cloths with the store bought Sawyers - check.
Did a set today and based on whats left over, I probably used about 2x needed. No noticable smell after 4 hours drying outside.

What about a hunting jacket and or vest - do those too? (Sitka brand if it matters.)

Also, how about t-shirts?
(Did one today and thinking it gets washed it before trying it out.)

OK. Doing several sets of cloths with the store bought Sawyers - check.
Did a set today and based on whats left over, I probably used about 2x needed. No noticable smell after 4 hours drying outside.

What about a hunting jacket and or vest - do those too? (Sitka brand if it matters.)

Also, how about t-shirts?
(Did one today and thinking it gets washed it before trying it out.)
I treat the first two layers but if you're going to wear a jacket over a t-shirt, you may want to also treat that.

I don't know if I would treat the whole jacket but I would do the areas around the collar and wrist where a bug could crawl off of the jacket and onto my skin

I am goin to fly to Johannesburg and the hunt in Limpopo with my brother in a couple of days.

I just soaked my hunting clothes in permethrin 0.5% home made solution and waiting for them to dry. Are there any safety concerns regarding permethrin? Thanks for any advice

Sjakon
View attachment 330303
In those quantities that are contained in the tissue, permethrin is safe for humans. Such things even have the effect of a membrane, that is, they remove moisture. But they need care: wash at 40 degrees, in no case dry in the drum of the washing machine, iron at a temperature of no more than 150 degrees. I was with my trainer once on a hike in the forest in the spring and we were very afraid of ticks, so we were looking for things with permethrin. First, we ordered funny dad shirts with our names on them, and then a full set of permethrin clothing.

Last edited:
I had a guy tell me the other day that he uses flea and tick dog collars, he puts them around his pant legs and shirt sleeves.
Anyone heard of this?

I was told ticks can be bad in Botswana so I bought two non-aerosol cans of PICARIDIN. Now, after reading this post, I'm wondering if I ordered the wrong product?

I was told ticks can be bad in Botswana so I bought two non-aerosol cans of PICARIDIN. Now, after reading this post, I'm wondering if I ordered the wrong product?

In my opinion yes. Here's a comparison of the two.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-06-02 at 8.59.34 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-02 at 8.59.34 AM.png
    4 MB · Views: 76
  • Screen Shot 2021-06-02 at 8.59.36 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-02 at 8.59.36 AM.png
    6.5 MB · Views: 78
  • Screen Shot 2021-06-02 at 8.59.37 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-02 at 8.59.37 AM.png
    5.4 MB · Views: 74
  • Screen Shot 2021-06-02 at 8.59.39 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-02 at 8.59.39 AM.png
    5.9 MB · Views: 78
  • Screen Shot 2021-06-02 at 8.59.39 AM 1.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-02 at 8.59.39 AM 1.png
    5.2 MB · Views: 75
  • Screen Shot 2021-06-02 at 8.59.42 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-02 at 8.59.42 AM.png
    5.4 MB · Views: 82
I use the sheep and goat dip- less expensive than the people stuff- and make a 1% solution, soak a few hours, let it dry. I wash before wearing mainly because of the scent. Been doing it 10 years without problems.
and without ticks!

We use a Bayer product called Bayticol. Works very well and no one that has used it has been bitten. It also very easy to use, just spray on your clothes in an open area before going into the field.
It is available at most pharmacies and various sporting/hunting shops.
0EA9711B-8863-4604-8543-B97161885FD3.jpeg

I keep a spray bottle in my truck with tick spray mixed, I spray down my pants and legs and putties before going in the bush.

At camp I have dogshampoo use it it works....

In those quantities that are contained in the tissue, permethrin is safe for humans. Such things even have the effect of a membrane, that is, they remove moisture. But they need care: wash at 40 degrees, in no case dry in the drum of the washing machine, iron at a temperature of no more than 150 degrees. I was with my trainer once on a hike in the forest in the spring and we were very afraid of ticks, so we were looking for things with permethrin. First, we ordered funny dad shirts with our names on them, and then a full set of permethrin clothing.
Thanks, that is some good information, and welcome to AH.

I have never soaked, but sprayed my clothes prior to hunting and let air dry. Never had any adverse reaction, nor problem with insects while wearing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpathianHunters

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!