Soaking Clothes In Permethrin

as I always went in may-june i had no trouble with ticks, but used the same mixture I use for spring turkey hunting in the states.

Pyrethrum isn't very toxic for humans. I have seen ladies grind up a dried blossom in their fingers and sprinkle it over their food to keep the flies off. Never seemed to cause them any problems over the years.

Pyrethrum isn't very toxic for humans. I have seen ladies grind up a dried blossom in their fingers and sprinkle it over their food to keep the flies off. Never seemed to cause them any problems over the years.
Pyrethrum and Permethrin are similar but are not the same thing. To most humans and mammals except cats neither is very toxic. To insects and aquatic life it's a different story. Pyrethrum breaks down quickly from sunlight and water, Permethrin takes weeks. I'd still use Permethrin on my clothes, but wouldn't be sprinkling it on my food.

I use it on my work clothes all the time it works great and my understanding is it is pretty safe so use it but let it dry before wearing

I will be soaking my clothes even better this coming trip. I treated all my clothes except socks last year. I had one of the bad ones go up my pants leg and attach itself. I came down with tick fever after I arrived back home. I never want to go thru that again! Picture of what my leg looked like 6 days after tick was removed!
View attachment 330305
Ikaridin on skin seems to be best protection against ticks. DEET works only in very high doses but even then ikaridin is better. Then again, for mosquitoes nothing beats DEET.

I tried soaking some clothes in permethrin for my last visit to Lapland. It had absolutely no effect on mosquitoes there, went and bought Thermacell halfway through our trip and it really helped especially in the evening.

Pyrethrum and Permethrin are similar but are not the same thing. To most humans and mammals except cats neither is very toxic. To insects and aquatic life it's a different story. Pyrethrum breaks down quickly from sunlight and water, Permethrin takes weeks. I'd still use Permethrin on my clothes, but wouldn't be sprinkling it on my food.

Teach me to glance at a thread. Completely misunderstand it. Make an absolutely stupid comment.:D

I can do that well.:)

I have only ever sprayed my clothes with Sawyers right out of the bottle and don't soak my clothes in a watered down mix. I just follow the directions and it works.

I have only ever sprayed my clothes with Sawyers right out of the bottle and don't soak my clothes in a watered down mix. I just follow the directions and it works.

You know that Sawyers is a watered down mix, right ? :cautious:

It's the same .5% recommended here.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-02-15 at 4.57.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-15 at 4.57.32 PM.png
    723 KB · Views: 126
  • Screen Shot 2020-02-15 at 4.57.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-15 at 4.57.34 PM.png
    456 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
You know that Sawyers is a watered down mix, right ? :cautious:

It's the same .5% recommended here.
Yes, I did know that. But I don't soak the clothes, I just spray per the instructions.

I am goin to fly to Johannesburg and the hunt in Limpopo with my brother in a couple of days.

I just soaked my hunting clothes in permethrin 0.5% home made solution and waiting for them to dry. Are there any safety concerns regarding permethrin? Thanks for any advice

Sjakon
View attachment 330303
I've used the Sawyer brand spray many times and swear by it. After my last safari I think it lasts through about 4 washes. The reason I say this is that I only used two sets of clothes for the most part and toward the end of a 13 day safari I got some mosquito bites but none at the beginning. I also proved the worth of the Avon skin so soft lotion that is sunscreen and insect repellent. It worked nearly flawlessly on tetse flies.
I can not recommend a DIY permethrin as if you get it wrong and get some skin irritation it could ruin your safari. Its best to buy Sawyer as its proven to work and be the right concentration.
Have a great safari!
Philip

I dont know if it was because of the mix I used or just a little sensitive, but I broke out with a slight rash on my arms and legs the first day. After 2 washings and putting on long john's and long sleeve t shirt my rash and itching cleared up after a couple of days.

Either a rash from permethrin or I from a patch of African poison ivy.(n):whistle::ROFLMAO:

It was a 25% perm/75% water,(in a 20 ounce spray bottle) and wetted--not dampened my clothes and boots.
This is why everyone should use Sawyer brand clothing spray.

Yes, I did know that. But I don't soak the clothes, I just spray per the instructions.

I think the only difference, or supposed difference, is how long it lasts.

I actually do both. I soak clothes and then take the leftovers and pour into bottle for other items to be sprayed later. Saves money too.

Its probably OK to soak, but it isn't recommended on the label. It actually recommends drying for 2-4 hours depending on humidity after outside spraying. Suppose they don't want folks complaining about getting burnt.;):eek:

Curious if anyone does this. After soaking I hang mine out in the yard for a week. That stuff STINKS!

I have never really noticed any odor in particular with it. Recommended dry time is 2-4 hours.....:whistle::rolleyes:

I put our clothes, shoes, gaiters out on the chain link fence, mix up a gallon of .5% in a one gallon pump up sprayer and spray everything down then let it all dry for the day.

Thank you very much for all the helpful comments. Tomorrow night boarding Qatar and off to Johannesburg to meet Marius from KMG Hunting Safaris. I haven’t felt so excited since the time my late father took me hunting for the first time as a young kid and now I am 67

Its probably OK to soak, but it isn't recommended on the label. It actually recommends drying for 2-4 hours depending on humidity after outside spraying. Suppose they don't want folks complaining about getting burnt.;):eek:

U.S. Military thinks it's ok to soak.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://phc.amedd.army.mil/PHC%20Resource%20Library/DoDInsectRepellentSystemandPermethrinTreatmentofMilitaryUniforms_FS-18-082-0317.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiwvsLe3NTnAhUFSq0KHSQFCjMQFjABegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw27dwC2HmDVsErGgB23ISCO

Sawyers is great. Don't get me wrong. But it's way over priced. You can get the same for much less as long as you can follow directions. If you dont know how to follow dilution instructions then use it for sure. If you do, then you can have the same product for less money.

Attachments

• DoDInsectRepellentSystemandPermethrinTreatmentofMilitaryUniforms_FS-18-082-0317.pdf
    814.4 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScottyB2157

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!