So the 308 Win seems approved by AH, what about the rifle?

bob, always take the best rest possible.
sometimes you can kneel and still see over bushes too high for sitting.
or use a tree standing.
in the real world, few are good at offhand, so the tool that makes it easier in a hunting scenario is a good one.
we might both be old, but i was trying stuff years ago.
like beanfield type rifles before they were commercially available, thumbhole stocks, different tightness of pistol grips, cast, ultra lightweight, and many other things. they all proved good at something, but at the cost of others.
then one day i discovered stocks as supplied by major makers had evolved for a reason.
nowadays some feel that more is better of one thing, but have yet to learn that it is less of another, usually a basic tenet of what a hunting rifle is all about.
i am not set in my ways due to inertia, but rather from finding wanting in holistic terms many of the so called modern must haves.
bruce.

bob, always take the best rest possible.
sometimes you can kneel and still see over bushes too high for sitting.
or use a tree standing.
in the real world, few are good at offhand, so the tool that makes it easier in a hunting scenario is a good one.
we might both be old, but i was trying stuff years ago.
like beanfield type rifles before they were commercially available, thumbhole stocks, different tightness of pistol grips, cast, ultra lightweight, and many other things. they all proved good at something, but at the cost of others.
then one day i discovered stocks as supplied by major makers had evolved for a reason.
nowadays some feel that more is better of one thing, but have yet to learn that it is less of another, usually a basic tenet of what a hunting rifle is all about.
i am not set in my ways due to inertia, but rather from finding wanting in holistic terms many of the so called modern must haves.
bruce.
@bruce moulds
I like the KISS principal mate.
Bob

I'm thinking to the OP wants .308 calibre not necessarily .308winchrster but a .30 cal variant.
I would say go to a .300wm and be done with it but .30,Ought 6 and .300wm may suffer from velocity loss and require registration as a flame thrower in anything under maybe 22"
A 20" .308 is probably a good compromise.
Now for the suitable platform or action, let's start over.
Whatever the 308 does the 358 will do better out to 300 yards. Except the blood trails will be shorter and the exit holes bigger. Not to mention they are available on the same platforms.

check out Savage Model 11 hoghunter. Cost approx $500 US , threaded barrel, synthetic TACK DRIVER. barrel longer than 18. 18 inch barrel would cause cause 400-600 fps drop in velocity and also drop trajectory range etc.

400-600 fps drop in velocity???
Where did you get that info?

From a standard 24" barrel, velocity decreases about 20-25 fps for each 1" shorter barrel. Hence, a 6" shorter barrel length yields a decrease in velocity of 120-150 fps. This has been chronographed many times.

The Hog Hunter in .308 has a barrel length of 20", so it will have a velocity of 80-100 fps less than published data fired with a 24" barrel.

Facts don't seem to matter much anymore. Repeat BS until it becomes accepted, seems to be the current modus operandi. Me I try to follow old Sgt Joe Friday. "Just the facts ma'am."

VertigoBE, I would submit the Steyr Scout Rifle. I'm a Scout rifle shooter and have been for 35 years. The Steyr can be had with a threaded barrel if desired. 19in barrel, overall length under 1 meter. Adjustable length of pull by spacers. no adjustable comb height. Synthetic stock. Empty weight at 6.8lbs. Scope can be mounted in Scout position (over barrel) or conventional position. Detachable magazine and spare mag in buttstock. Integral bipod in forearm. Build quality second to none. Wouldn't trade mine for love nor money. Price is above your stated goal but worth it.

Yeah good suggestion...forgot I have one.....are they still making them?

Facts don't seem to matter much anymore. Repeat BS until it becomes accepted, seems to be the current modus operandi. Me I try to follow old Sgt Joe Friday. "Just the facts ma'am."
@MS9x56
As the media always says why let the truth get in the way when a perfectly good lie will sell more papers.
As on famous movie line says
Truth you can't handle the truth boy.
Bob

the same with the marketing machine.
why let the truth get in the way of making a buck.
then it becomes self feeding, and the marketers start believing their own crap.
just look at the types of rifle now becoming popular, and the scopes they are putting on them.
bruce.

the same with the marketing machine.
why let the truth get in the way of making a buck.
then it becomes self feeding, and the marketers start believing their own crap.
just look at the types of rifle now becoming popular, and the scopes they are putting on them.
bruce.
@ bruce moulds
That's why we have the silly little 243 and the other over rated 6.5 manbun. Nosler is now telling us we need the 26, 28, 30 and 33 super duper non belted wizz bangs that are fine for long range sniping.
Load the non advertised 25/06, the 35 Whelen and even your non advertised 9.3x64, plus throw in the unloved 280 rem. Load them all properly and you have respite more than enough gun for most hunting.
A 25/06 loaded with a healthy dose of ADI 2225 and a 110 grain hornaday ELDX for over 3,200 fps and you even have the longer ranges covered.
Bob

bob, what do you mean "even" the 9.3x64 and 280 rem.
gravity settled them into my life through trial and error.
bruce.
@bruce moulds
Yeah but how much advertising did this 2 cartridges get. Suff all and none but the intelligent people know how well they work, they don't need to be told by advertising bullshit how good they are. They like the Whelen and a very few others just plod along getting the job done. All this whilst the big companies tell us we need to upgrade because newer is better.
BULLSHIT old still works people are just getting conned.
Bob

Yeah good suggestion...forgot I have one.....are they still making them?
Yes indeed they are. Talking with a friend of mine at Steyr, the Scout rifle is one of the biggest sellers in their lineup. The upside is that compared with when they first introduced the Scout, they are now about half the price at $1600.00. Run a Scout for a spell and you'll wonder why you didn't try one sooner.

Yes indeed they are. Talking with a friend of mine at Steyr, the Scout rifle is one of the biggest sellers in their lineup. The upside is that compared with when they first introduced the Scout, they are now about half the price at $1600.00. Run a Scout for a spell and you'll wonder why you didn't try one sooner.
@Rick HOlbert
The British No5 jungle carbine the original scout rifle, adequate caliber, 10 round mag, Good sights and the right size.
Bib

@Rick HOlbert
The British No5 jungle carbine the original scout rifle, adequate caliber, 10 round mag, Good sights and the right size.
Bib
Yes indeed. Jeff Cooper was aware of that rifle. Problem was too heavy and wouldn't hold zero but was in the right direction for a true Scout. Ran across one a number of years back that had been rebarreled/rechambered to 308 Win. (Must have been an Israeli conversion) Still kick myself for passing on it.

Always trying to hawk crap to make things faster and easier which is fine for mowing grass and washing dishes. Hunting is not conducive to faster and easier unless you wear a man bun or fancy yourself a sniper without working at the craft.
@MS 9x56
What about a flatter drinking sniper with a manbun.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SVCBoyd46

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg