So, I Was In The Loading Room Today...

Before joining AH, I thought that the largest caliber I'd ever need to hunt with was a 30-06. But then I live in Michigan where White Tail Deer, Black Bear and maybe a once in a lifetime Michigan Elk Hunt (lottery only) was the only "Game" in town. Anything with Magnum in the title was reserved for something very large and or far away. Animals filling that 'bill" were not on my radar at the time.

Before joining AH, I thought that the largest caliber I'd ever need to hunt with was a 30-06. But then I live in Michigan where White Tail Deer, Black Bear and maybe a once in a lifetime Michigan Elk Hunt (lottery only) was the only "Game" in town. Anything with Magnum in the title was reserved for something very large and or far away. Animals filling that 'bill" were not on my radar at the time.
Oh I understand. AH has brought a lifelong dream and turned it into an absolute obsession. I started buying big bores for my first safari which was a DG hunt and it started going down hill from there. Now I giggle when people think my 375 or 9.3 is big, then I’ll show them what proper big bores look like. I’m about 90% sure I’m about to add a 458 Lott to my big bore battery in the next 4 or 5 months.

Running 300 BLK because it's my latest and quietest craze. I took a moment to correct a couple screw ups and organize because things had gotten well out of hand. I came to realize that I am well stocked in magnum calibers that I own and most things that I use regularly. The great finds are the boxes if things I had forgotten about. The saddest thing I found was some .38 wadcutters that I had loaded up for my late Uncle still in the bag I delivered them in; unfired. That shadow passed and the light came back to discover boxes of loaded rounds for .458 Lott and .375 H&H. I ran through the 300 BLK I had prepped and then ran the 9mm machine dry of brass running the last of my 115's. I'm planning on using 147 gr FMJ going forward. Not a bad visit all in all.

Everyone knows I’m a history buff. I’m also an avid shooter and reloader. Really cool when the interests murge. So, I acquired some old military 30-06 brass. I’ve got it all cleaned up and resized. I’m currently trimming and attending to the primer pockets and the head stamps on these are awesome. They range from 1942 WWII brass all the way through the Korean War. How cool!

546F89D3-DD72-4A7D-8194-68D666DF1B9F.jpeg
CC4BF21D-0A6C-4748-9730-978E86751B01.jpeg
9A15563C-3D09-4C74-91F8-4C04239CF5D0.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to burst your bubble,,, but those would have used corrosive primers which there is some info that it damages the brass, and as well they are very old. You may experience case failure on one firing.

I would load a few and shoot them before loading a lot and have to pull them.

I love running across WWII era 45 ACP....have some in the plinker stash.

I have always heard you will lose a 45 ACP case before you wear it out. Might be true!

@gizmo if you want to make those old '06 cases last, you might want to anneal them before you work them too much.

Had a nice day at the reloading bench myself today…

Loaded up 300 rounds of 168gr ttsx .308 (thanks again for the great deal on the brass @PHOENIX PHIL ! )…

I should be set with my primary PG load for a little while now… :D

Not to burst your bubble,,, but those would have used corrosive primers which there is some info that it damages the brass, and as well they are very old. You may experience case failure on one firing.

I would load a few and shoot them before loading a lot and have to pull them.
Hey Ses, yessir. My understanding is any military case prior to 1953 used a corrosive primer. I went through them pretty thoroughly. My use of them will be for plinker ammo anyway. Although I neck size all of my brass once it’s fired I like to keep wear and tear off of my expensive Nosler brass. I cleaned the hell out of all of all the military brass and weeded out obvious non hackers. I’m expecting to loose some but I got all of it for free so I’m not to worried about it.

I love running across WWII era 45 ACP....have some in the plinker stash.

I have always heard you will lose a 45 ACP case before you wear it out. Might be true!

@gizmo if you want to make those old '06 cases last, you might want to anneal them before you work them too much.
It’s funny you say that because I had everything sorted and cleaned. I got about halfway through resizing all of it and I thought to myself, “I wonder if I should have annealed all of this”. By then I figured I’d do it next go round. I’ve still got a bunch more and now that you made that point I’ll do it on all that I have left before I shoot it.

I did however reload all my hunting ammo for that caliber before I started that little project. I got 100 rounds of ‘06 loaded. 180gr TTSX over IMR4064 with win LR primers and Nosler brass.

Now that 308 is done, I’m moving on to 270… got about 100 of those to do…then 375 H&H… I’ve got about 100 of those to do as well…then 300 H&H… after I knock out about 100 of those I should be good for a little while :)

My understanding of primers is that there were three types (prior to the non-lead religion). the ingredients were fulminate of mercury; potassium chlorate, & lead styphnate. The mercuric left a mercury coating which didn't hurt the barrel but caused the brass to become brittle and break if reloaded. the chlorate left a salt in the case and barrel and both would corrode/rust if not removed. the led styphnate for years were advertised as Non-Mercuric, Non-Corrosive and have very little effect on the case or barrel.
Cases that were fired with Mercuric primers should not be reloaded unless it can be determined that the brass is not going to fracture. Chlorate primed brass will show as either corroded or not so if it passes inspection it should be safe to load, given that the brass is at least 70 years old and may suffer from metal fatigue.

I’ve been spending a lot of time working up test loads with newer powders. This is the time of year, I guess, we all spend a lot of time in the reloading room. Beats the heck out of shoveling snow which so far 10+” over our norm!
Hmmm…and as I write this, it is snowing again…Ugh!

Tim,
May I suggest hug therapy or possibly a comfort animal? I think these may help as you haven’t gotten to the point of rolling around in a golden wildebeest loincloth in a pile of 500 grain Swift A-Frames while chanting load data. Not to offend anyone that does such of course. I have had some of the best conversations with myself in the reloading room although some of the arguments get quite heated at times especially over CBL and CRF vs. Push feed!
We can work through this, maybe a new No. 1 in 30-40 Krag is just what the Dr ordered!
@Bullthrower338
Cody don't get him a comfort animal he may end up shooting it.

I've had many an argument with myself but unfortunately I don't put up a very good case and end up losing the argument. It's a bitch when you lose an argument with yourself.
Bob

You have a loading ROOM? I've just got a bench in the corner of the garage..... I feel so deprived!
@greyfox
You need to stand up to the me to movement and shout what about me I'm here and have needs to.
She has the kitchen as a domain, you NEED a reloading room.
HA HA HA HA HA
Bob
I'm not sexist in any way and the kitchen comment was tough in cheek. I do all the cooking in our place plus have a reloading shed.
Bob

I've found, after 40+ years, it's best to wait until she is far away (out of hearing distance) before I make such demands!!
@greyfox
I always get the lat words in every argument with my wife. Those words are yes dear.
I really pissed her of when I took her to echo canyon and told her to get the last word in now honey. It didn't end well.
Bob

It’s funny you say that because I had everything sorted and cleaned. I got about halfway through resizing all of it and I thought to myself, “I wonder if I should have annealed all of this”. By then I figured I’d do it next go round. I’ve still got a bunch more and now that you made that point I’ll do it on all that I have left before I shoot it.
I learn everyday it seems when it comes to reloading. I have been reloading for about 4 years now with great success. the only problems during this time has been when I was crushing the top of my 500 NE brass recently. the problem was solved when I bought new dies now no problems at all. I have never annealed brass. I would greatly appreciate a simple to understand reason for having to anneal brass please so I can learn. Also, what equipment should I add to do this process and when do you know you need to do this please?

Thanks!!!

pretty simple process.. and not much needed to do it (propane torch).... this is a decent video on annealing...

he uses some fancy tools in the video.. but you can improvise and do things much more simply...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois