Snakes!

Visited Larue-Pine Hills in southern Illinois today. I think we saw 15 water moccasins, 1 Rough Green snake, Gray Ratsnakes, Western Ribbon snake and Ringneck. Missed a Timber Rattlesnake and Copperhead. I nearly stepped on two of the water moccasins. Biggest was 2 feet.

20221001_154455.jpg
20221001_145725.jpg
20221001_133927.jpg
20221001_145003.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, by the sign it looks like handguns & birdshot are not forbidden?
Lol. It is out in the country a bit. Cape Girardeau is the closest city.
If you are caught handling any herps by the DNR, you get a swift $175 fine...supposedly. I was surprised how many adults had small children running around at the edge of road, where most of the cottonmouths were found. It was a fun visit.

I used to live in Makanda which is just east of the Larue Pine Hiills near Giant City State Park. We didn’t have a lot of snakes, mostly cottonmouths. The most snakes I ever saw were on the Waccamaw River near Georgetown South Carolina. They were water moccasins mostly. You almost always could see one. I probably spent more time shooting at them with a 22 pistol than fishing.

Do you have a diy snake stick for when you meet one in the house/camp?

313691681_618370526699925_9019166062182918002_n.png

Black Mamba

1ef7eaac07094b8081079a3adaa3d690.jpg

I agree, best to be able to identify the baddies if you are going to hunt on their turf. Killed a Coral Snake once in Florida. Working on my airplane and walked back to my '56 Ford Victoria to retrieve some tool, froze immediately when I saw the snake by by rear tire, it did not try to bite me( their jaws are really small, anyway) I had run over it when I had backed up the car! Whew! Those Goodyears are aptly named!

My wife saw a black mamba stand up like that next to the truck we were riding in. I was riding behind the cab and didn't see it, but the PH did and told her what it was. That was in August and she's still talking about it. Her fear of snakes is legendary!

It affects most women that way. I could not EVEN watch nature programs on tv if there were snakes on the screen, she would leave the room and I would have to listen to chin music from the hallway. She always got her way and the channel was changed to something more girly.

It affects most women that way. I could not EVEN watch nature programs on tv if there were snakes on the screen, she would leave the room and I would have to listen to chin music from the hallway. She always got her way and the channel was changed to something more girly.
Been there. One time before my wife and I were married we were hunting quail. I slammed on the brakes, jumped out, pointed the shotgun down in front of the car and fired. She jumped out and came around asking what I was doing. When she saw three feet of headless rattlesnake, she ran back around, jumped back inside, then closer and locked the doors. After that another couple of guys came by and asked if they could have the snake as they liked eating them. After they drove off she unlocked the doors so I could get back in. I asked her if she thought the snake without a head, arms or legs would open the car door and bite her. Logic really didn't have much to do with her actions.

319238137_1309320979826518_6954253610964434638_n.jpg

Been there. One time before my wife and I were married we were hunting quail. I slammed on the brakes, jumped out, pointed the shotgun down in front of the car and fired. She jumped out and came around asking what I was doing. When she saw three feet of headless rattlesnake, she ran back around, jumped back inside, then closer and locked the doors. After that another couple of guys came by and asked if they could have the snake as they liked eating them. After they drove off she unlocked the doors so I could get back in. I asked her if she thought the snake without a head, arms or legs would open the car door and bite her. Logic really didn't have much to do with her actions.
It seldom does.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsmaelMorg

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg