Snakes!

305844925_2263433693813129_344918545282909564_n.jpg

287337303_487613146605027_804375930976542576_n.jpg

So there I was, hose in hand, watering in the twilight yesterday evening. As I looked down at my feet, securely incased in flipflops, I noticed a youngish (14") snake cruising past my big toe. My first thought was young rat snake (of which we have many). But then I noted, "what a large head you have!" At this point I am bending over, without yet moving my foot, and I see that he is holding the tip of his tail strait up - and on that cute little tail were two rattles. I levitated a few feet and went looking for a shovel. By the time I returned, he had vanished. This morning I mowed the yard particularly close. Could have been a young diamond back or timber. The joys of country living. :oops:

The only down side of my July/August 2022 Namibia safari was that it was late winter; wanted to see snakes, but none. Only a couple species of lizard, no tortoise either. Had to settle for a 7'6", 119 lb. leopard and a bag of great trophies at Ozondjahe Safaris, just south of the Waterberg Plateau. Mike Wachtel, Lacona, Iowa USA
How about a full report with pictures? Sounds fab! Thanks. Your friend, Brian

in So Africa this past April I was following my PH and he stopped to glass and I looked down by my foot and said what is that his reply was do not move, I asked what it was his answer PUFF Adder, when he got it to move with his sticks turned out to be 2 of them coiled together they were about 3 feet long holy crap

in So Africa this past April I was following my PH and he stopped to glass and I looked down by my foot and said what is that his reply was do not move, I asked what it was his answer PUFF Adder, when he got it to move with his sticks turned out to be 2 of them coiled together they were about 3 feet long holy crap
A similar thing happened to me in Mozambique with a gaboon viper! It took a couple of days to calm down and I still see that snake in my sleep.

Puff Adder Sex??

I don't know and did not care, but only one got away, the other met a big rock

There is a specific anti-venom for the boomslang (also vine/twig snake) developed in SA but not sure if Botswana keeps stock or has developed their own.

The thing about the boomslang bite is that you might not display symptoms for up to 24 hours. Then the fun starts. Bleeding from all openings, even old wounds. So you could have time to get to anti-venom depending how quick you act and where you are located.

I'd say the most painful bite would be your cytotoxic snakes (puff adder etc). The purely neurotoxic snake bites don't create a lot of pain comparatively and the effects can be a bit "trippy" but you know you'll die quicker as your diaphragm is paralised and your heart stops beating.

Hemotoxic bites like the boomslang but just be downright scary when you start bleeding out your eye sockets, butt, nose etc as your blood cells break down.

As they said in Hill Street Blues... "Keep 'em peeled"!

Well why don't you just rock me to sleep tonight?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FlynnHeini

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.